Mollusk-mania! With Marcel The Shell With Shoes On!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dance_hall_keeper, Apr 3, 2024.

1. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Marcel The Shell With Shoes On: Theatre Poster.​

I recently came across this cinematic marvel while looking for information on the re-release of Talking Head's Stop Making Sense on The Interwebs™, with distribution by A24 Films.

Their Website has many interesting Films to choose from but Marcel the Shell With Shoes On immediately caught my attention. So I had to find out more about this project.

To quote the inimitable Benedict Cumberbatch, in his stellar Lead Role in PBS's Sherlock, ...

The Game... Is On!!!

NB #1: My first decision for this Thread was whether to embed or link the found videos. I've decided to go with Option B because it's easier for the creation of this Thread.

NB #2: I quickly learned that if you merge not only both the Audio and Visual but gaze-shift from Foreground to Background continuously that it enhances the experience… or there's always the Replay button as an available option to fall back on.

The Coming of Marcel
    The "Marcel Timeline" goes something like this…

The initial Short Films depict the everyday life of Marcel, an anthropomorphic seashell outfitted with a single offset (some articles refer to it as a “googley eye” and that seems demeaning to me) eye and a pair of stylish shoes.

On to the two taller main characters of the projects, with Links for more information on each included.

The character of Marcel was developed at both a peculiar time and way. Jenny Slate and Dean Fleischer Camp were attending a wedding and were sharing a single hotel room with a group of friends. As things began to feel claustrophobic and tensions rose Slate began voicing her needs in the voice that would come to be that of Marcel. Upon returning home Fleischer-Camp worked with found objects, eventually settling on a "Polly Pocket", (‘member them?) shoes, a seashell and a single eye.

Voice... say "hello" to Body.

The Debut performance by Marcel came in the Short....

Marcel the Shell With Shoes On - Short #1 released in 2011, which
    was the preamble to…

his entry into the literary side with the original Children’s Book being released in 2011…

[​IMG]
    Marcel the Shell with Shoes: Things About Me - Jenny Slate +
    Dean Fleischer-Camp, followed by…​

the second Short project…

Marcel the Shell With Shoes On - Short #2 released in 2014,
    leading to the second Children’s Book that same year,​

[​IMG]
    Marcel the Shell: The Most Surprised I’ve Ever Been - Dean
    Fleischer-Camp + Jenny Slate and followed by...

Marcel the Shoes With Shoes On - Short #3

The work continued as their collective sights were now set on a full-blown Film, leading to…
    The Film debuted in 2021 and made approximately $7M US, but its true value is a lot more than that, a value you can’t assign a monetary value to.

About a 1.5 years ago on NBC’s Today Show, in the segment “Catching Up With…” the interviewee was Jenny Slate, the voice of Marcel.

The segment in question…

Both the BluRay or 4K versions are available now from A24, along with many Streaming outlets.

He's also provided a worthy reminder to Theatre Patrons, one that should be heeded by all:

Hopefully there's other Members who know about this and are enjoying what they see as I have.

The Opine Hotline is now open!

2. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

I liked the 2011 short - it was charming - but apparently not enough to then seek out the later movie.

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Had to miss it when it came to our arts cinema while I was dealing with a bad leg. But it's washed ashore on Netflix right now.

4. dance_hall_keeper

As they had promised, along with other fine streaming services (?), such as…
    In Canada
    Netflix, Paramount Plus, SHOWTIME, The Roku Channel, Fandango at Home, Prime Video or Apple TV on your Roku device.
    In the US
    It’s also possible to buy Marcel the Shell with Shoes On on Apple TV, Amazon Video, Google Play Movies, YouTube, Vudu, Microsoft Store as download or rent it on Vudu, Spectrum On Demand, Amazon Video, Apple TV, Microsoft Store, Google Play Movies, YouTube online.

5. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

I feel like A24 could have done more for this film. Marketing was sparse and it topped out at 821 theaters. My showing was packed. Everyone seemed to love it. This movie should have gotten more love.

6. dance_hall_keeper

After seeing the PSA done by the star, it verified a thought I had prior to seeing it: if enough people are laughing you’re likely to miss some of the funny lines.

Crack To The Egg likes this.