Monkees complete performance on Glen Campbell's Goodtime Hour 2/05/69

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ibekeen, Jun 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Poster claims some footage here not on the new DVD boxed set. Just to chime in: I do like the song "Teardrop City".

2. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

That was great. Thanks for posting it. I'm curious . . . where's Peter Tork?

ibekeen likes this.
  3. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Peter left in December 68 unfortunately.

ibekeen likes this.
  4. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I always found that confusing too. My first Monkees album was "Golden Hits" from a cereal box offer. On the back cover there were only three Monkees.

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  5. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Awesome stuff!! its funny how they didnt mention anything about Glen having PLAYED on some of the Monkees stuff.

seacliffe301, beccabear67 and Galley like this.
  6. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Wow. I thought it was later. Thanks.

ibekeen likes this.
  7. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

"Teardrop City" was recorded in October 1966, and was left in the can (box) then. Peter is probably on it, or was in the room while the Wrecking Crew (including Glen?) did the music. So his ghost is really included for this 1969 TV lipsync performance.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    905 and ibekeen like this.
  8. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

There is quite a bit of footage not on the Blu-Ray set, including the Touch Tone Telephone and Secret Agent skits -- both of which were "Easter Eggs" on the Season 2 DVD set, but did not make the Blu-Ray complete series. The bit where they go into their musical history, is that on the Blu-Ray set? I don't remember. The rest of the Glen Campbell show that doesn't involve the Monkees is, of course, not included on either.

The Screen Gems/Sony stuff is just someone goofing around, right? (Not real)

Instant Dharma and ibekeen like this.
  9. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

Davy is playing that bass that made for him by Gretsch.

ibekeen likes this.
  10. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

It's Boyce and Hart's band on that track so Glen and no one else from the Wrecking Crew was likely involved. Peter probably wasn't on hand either, though I do think that it sounds like him somewhere in the backing vocal blend.

11. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

That was fun to see, but man most of those variety shows are brutal in retrospect!

mrbobdobalina and ibekeen like this.
  12. 905

905 Senior Member

One of the most recent Glen Twitter posts is Glen loved working with Monkees with some b&w pics from a magazine.

George C., MarkTheShark and cwitt1980 like this.
  13. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Very cool. Only Mike could make a Marshall Stack sound like a Fender practice amp. Nice to see Davy stepping up and rocking the bass in the opening medley.

14. BadJack

It sounds all live, too, right? He's not doing anything particularly complicated but he seems to be holding the bass parts down pretty well.

15. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

IIRC:

(1) That's really them playing, but
    (2) It was pre-recorded (and possibly re-edited into the medley). Therefore, they are miming to their own playing.
    (3) Of course, "Tear Drop City" is lip-synched.

Is that correct?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    Grand_Ennui likes this.
  16. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Yes. They were definitely Sidelining on that appearance, as was common at that time on tv.

17. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Does this mean Louie Shelton is on the track? This, plus the revelation that this song was recorded in '66 explains a lot. I've always felt that it was more or less a variation on a theme based on "Last Train to Clarksville".
    Nice to see the footage. I also remember seeing them with this song on "Where The Action Is" right about the same period.

18. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Yes. The amps were dead - silent. They would never, they could never, send a live bank of amps right behind Micky into Micky's live mic. It even looks stupid.

19. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I think, for that first medley, the vocals were live. The music was recorded earlier. The whole segment looks edited down from some longer medley mess.

20. BadJack

I don't have the credits handy but I think so? Boyce/Hart sure got a decent amount of mileage out of the "Clarksville" template, but even though "Tear Drop City" is a bit of a retread, I do like the song.

21. seacliffe301

I do agree with that. I remember liking the song when it came out.

Regarding session man Louie Shelton, for those that did not know, he was a close personal friend of Boyce & Hart back in the mid 60's. When they got their break with Don Kirshner to write and record for the Monkees, Louie begged them to get him on the session.
    They recorded "...Clarksville" with Louie (it was he who came up with that iconic guitar intro, played on his white Tele). I could only assume there were others that he was on. (That's him on Valerie as well).

RobRoyF and BadJack like this.
  22. BadJack

You may have seen this, but it's worth watching again:

23. seacliffe301

Wow! Great piece. No, I hadn't seen it. Thanks for sharing

BadJack likes this.
  24. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Andrew Sandoval's book says Wayne Erwin, Gerry McGee and Louie Shelton are guitarists on this, with Larry Taylor on bass, and Billy Lewis on drums. Boyce & Hart with Ron Hicklin are credited with backing vox.

Recorded in F-sharp but sped up when released to A-flat.
    Recorded on the same day: "Looking For The Good Times," which was resurrected on the next LP.

Grand_Ennui and seacliffe301 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.