Monkees DVDs are expensive

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Upsiditus, May 11, 2020.

1. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Monkees sold a lot more records than the Partridge Family, and yet the show did not do well in the Nielsen ratings, (allegedly, at least...).

2. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

The monkees' ratings may have been lower--- but I bet they scored high in that demographic certain advertisers were trying to reach.

3. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

I just got a Blu ray set for $350. Hardly a bargain but better than 500-800!

4. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

Edwin, yes, better than 500-800. Enjoy the set.

Marshall

cloggedmind likes this.
  5. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

6. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

Quite the costly boot, that.

At first, I thought, why would this seller not use bd-r media for this instead of compressing to dvd? Then I told myself: Self, think about where the source came from.. Likely, the internet's favorite organ.

One could, conceivably, purchase and then claim counterfeit; thus, obtaining the dubious item cost free. This would be ill-advised and unethical but, then again, it is a bootleg.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  7. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

Urrgh...what a frustrating sight to see a bootleg DVD set of The Monkees Complete Series Blu-ray collection. Plus, the seller is charging just $25.00 less for their DVD set than what Rhino charged for an official Blu-ray collection . The seller did a nice job on the look of the Colgems label for their discs,but the actual Blu-rays as, cloggedmind and Edwin know, have what appear to be film reels on them.

cloggedmind likes this.
  8. super sally

Here's a thought... and this is just something I just connected in my mind and there's probably no truth in it all.

But here goes:

ME-TV began showing The Monkees twice a weekend beginning in March 2019 following ratings from a Peter Tork memorial showing.

From what I can tell, the episodes were the cleaned up Blu Ray versions.

Could Rhino have pulled them from the market as part of a deal with ME-TV? Maybe it was a reduced deal so these showings could almost serve as "commercials" for the box set?

ME-TV just pulled the Monkees off it's schedule. Could we see a return of the Blu-Rays to the marketplace? Maybe the tv showings plus being off the market has created more of a demand?

Does Rhino even own the syndication rights?

Far fetched, I guess.

BTW- it's always kind of a thrill to watch the Monkees over the air via the antennae-- just like when I was a kid. Thanks ME-TV

9. super sally

10. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

D-rock and cloggedmind like this.
  11. cloggedmind

Now, look-- that's $50 off the price for a cut mark. No one's trying to "stick it" to anyone! :rolleyes:

And I'm sure these sets going for bank have nothing to do with all that unaccounted for stock. It's all just a coincidence that each one of these just might be the last one. Scout's honour! Dib-dob!

If you breeze by the item listing on the official website while logged in, even though the set isn't available, the web-bot will still email you this vague little tease:

"subject:That The Monkees item is going fast!
    -------------
    Hey Friend,

Thank you for browsing the following item(s) at the The Monkees Store.
    Here is a quick reminder of what you were looking at. If you need any additional product information or help placing an order, reach out to our customer service team"

If it is not going to be officially available anymore, apart from "scalped" copies, just delete the listing. Cue the Monty Python foot, squish, move on.

When we start seeing sets turn up with booklets that weren't numbered, or just-the-disc "promo" sets a-la Headquarters Sessions (there's been bunches of those), then we can say like Joe Reagoso used to on FB, "Hmmmmm..."

Grand_Ennui and Marshall like this.
  12. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

[
    Great points, cloggedmind.

cloggedmind likes this.
  13. cloggedmind

And then I went back to the Ebay and grabbed a book and one of the posters. I just can't figure me out?! :shrug:

Marshall likes this.
  14. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

:)

cloggedmind likes this.
  15. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident Thread Starter

Why did the Monkees DVDs go out of print?

Michael likes this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

are you referring to the original DVD box sets? If so, why? they sucked...I know, I own them...they are worthless.

17. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Worthless? Are you serious? People are getting big bucks for the old Rhino sets at eBay – both for used and still-sealed examples.

As far as the Eagle Rock reissue – those sets used the same mastering as the Rhino release so there is no difference between the two in terms of picture quality. (And the Eagle Rock sets are also going for big chunks of change at eBay....)

No idea how you define “worthless”, but I doubt the sellers at eBay would agree with you.

Grand_Ennui and Michael like this.
  18. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Eagle Rock likely just licensed the rights to release the series from Rhino (as Rhino Home Video seems to have gone defunct years ago).

Like everything else, while the sets were in print, they were very cheap – much cheaper even than the original Rhino sets were when they were first released.

McLover likes this.
  19. Michael

fair enough, but I own them and the PQ sucks...sorry...do you own them?

are you referring to the Sharks on ebay?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  20. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Well, the PQ couldn’t be any worse than the Zenith console tv you originally watched the show on. ;)

Michael likes this.
  21. Michael

fair enough...that's funny, but so true...although maybe not! it's been way too many years...BUT, I remember our RCA Consul TV having beautiful rich colors at the time of the original broadcasts...shows like Lost In Space also had beautiful bright & bold colors!

jamesmaya likes this.
  22. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:righton: Yes, sounds like you had an RCA

Michael likes this.
  23. Michael

yes we did...with a beautiful all tube AM/FM/Phono"Stereo"...thanks... That was great!!!

jamesmaya likes this.
  24. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Exactly...as soon as I saw that cut mark in the pics of his set, I basically said "ok....I got it now."

Grand_Ennui and cloggedmind like this.
  25. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Yes. The picture quality of the DVDs – the Rhino and the Eagle Rock releases suck.

They are dark and murky and the audio is often too low. (What’s more, the DVDs use the same mastering as the VHS set from the mid-90’s...)

The blu-ray release obviously has the best-looking PQ (which supersedes everything else at this point) but I actually preferred the old Japanese LD set to the DVDs.

But, when people at eBay bid up the DVD sets on their own accord, how can you blame the sellers? (The DVDs have been out for at least 15 years. It’s not like RSD flippers running rampant...)

Why don’t you sell your DVD sets? Since they’re worthless to you, you might be able to convert them into a few bucks.

Michael likes this.