Monkees Headquarters SDE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rlp, Nov 1, 2022.

1. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

A number of folks have noted skipping. I have found it to be a function of the CD player on which I spin the disk. I experienced skipping on the 2 tracks at the end of Disk 2. However, the problem of skipping only exists in the first of 2 players I have in my computer tower. In the 2nd CD player, I don't have skipping on those final tracks BUT I get digital artifacts which sound like a bird flapping its wings during the playback (and don't nobody try and land a Roger McGuinn being in the studio type joke here). The better news, is that when I play disc 2 on my cheapo portable CD player - those final tracks play beeeautifully - no skips or artifacts.

Someone suggested copying the disk that skips and the playback wouldn't have issues. I have two probs with that. I have recently experienced a playback of a couple of CD-R's that were filled to the hilt and once played fine but now have developed issues on the last tracks. Secondly, in ripping the disk 2 to my hard drive, the two last tracks had no skipping but the flapping-wing digital artifacts were present. Anywho, I am making a copy of disk 2 over two CD-R's and to correct the last two tracks, I am using the previously issued same versions of the recordings given on the previous deluxe Headquarters. This is really just for back up purposes as I expect Rhino to respond saying the problem is a function of the CD player - not the disk - and that is just what I have found. That said, I think that Rhino would have done well not to put so many tracks on one disk as there was room on disk 1 and disk 3.

izgoblin likes this.
  2. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

Mine is scheduled for Sunday delivery as well. We shall see :)

BobT likes this.
  3. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I see USPS delivery in my area on Sunday all the time. My wife has had packages delivered on Sunday a few times. In my case, I purchased an upgrade on UPS for 1 of my sets,so I am scheduled to get one by UPS and 1 from USPS tomorrow. Just wondering which will arrive first :confused:

D-rock likes this.
  4. FredV

FredV Senior Member

D-rock, Miller92473 and BobT like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Yep, here we go ..

Latest Update
    The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on November 26, 2022 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if/when available.

It did have deliver date as 11/27.

Maybe I'll get lucky, idk

6. Sunset Sam

Sunset Sam Forum Resident

I'd say in addition to "Violin", it really sounds like the vocal tracking is ever so slightly lagging the backing track on both ALBM,ALBY Alt Voc Take 1 and She Hangs Out w/alt backing vocals (Tracks 2 and 3 on Disc 3). It's offputting enough to make it not something that's going to get repeat listens, which is unfortunate.

I'll also add that I don't believe Sally to have new backing vocals. I think Antifrodis' comment might yield some clarity - it's possible those vox were done a few years later ('69/'70) when Micky finally laid down his vocal....and perhaps with better equipment (e.g. eight-track recorder) that allowed for the spreading of the vocals.

FJFP and Hep Alien like this.
  7. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

...my tracking said the anticipated arrival date was 11/30, but it showed up today.

8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

It seems a lot of discs filled to the brim (literally) have issues of playback towards the end. The only advice I can give is don't make exact copies if you burn a CD-R backup. Usually I'm in the clear if I keep a disc under one hour. As annoying as it may be, I'd rather have a semi-faulty disc that won't play on every player in the universe than not have the music at all. Sure, it'd probably only cost another dollar for a disc to be made with each set to avoid this issue... but this is Rhino.

Rereading your post... I'm actually surprised they left room on discs 1 & 3. But if each disc represents a time period, I can see why that choice was made.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
    Marty T, FJFP and Hep Alien like this.
  9. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Tape source, or acetate? (The book might say - Sandoval's earlier book indicates the tapes were lost but maybe they turned up.)

10. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

My Onkyo does not have an issue playing any of the disc. Sometimes I'll get a disc that is jam packed to its limit and has issues. When that happens I play the disc through my Sony 4K Blu-ray and problem solved.

11. siegel7825

siegel7825 Forum Resident

Southeast Monkees fan...

New update tonight: now expected tomorrow, Sunday...3 days earlier than expected??!

[​IMG]

12. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I didn't read the whole booklet. Anyone know why the late Adam Schlesinger gets a credit in the 'Original Recordings Produced By' section on the back of the box?

Sammy Banderas and Hep Alien like this.
  13. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

For the lead vocals by Micky for Gotta Give It Time,and backing vocals for Love To Love. Both recorded for Good Times.

905, Natural E, jeremylr and 5 others like this.
  14. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Mine arrived at 1 pm today, and I've just come home from work to it.

#$%!in' gorgeous!

rlp, radiomd2000, siegel7825 and 3 others like this.
  15. silvertrees

silvertrees Forum Resident

They are taken from an acetate as per Andrew's updated definitive reference book.
    I've stated this in other threads, but the acknowledgment of those Gold Star demos were and still are a major revelation that only came to light in the updated version of the book. Andrew dates the session from January 13, 1967,(although the exact details remain unknown), three days prior to what heretofore was considered the first recorded session with Chip Douglas held at RCA on the 16th.

16. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The remix is impeccable to these old ears on lo-fi equipment. Mr. Sandavol did an exceptional job on punching it up and remedying the old EQ. Only listened to disc one so far (no skips)...played in a blu ray player.

17. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Where are y’all seeing delivery updates? I’m looking at wwwapps.ups.com and plugging in my tracking number. The update I get, which was “updated” 10:32 pm Nov. 26, still shows it’s still in Riverside, CA since Nov. 22. Surely that can’t be right.

18. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I just Googled my tracking number and used the inbuilt widget to navigate to UPS' website.

19. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

If you sign up for UPS My Choice, they give you more detailed tracking updates. When I log into my account, they show more info. :)

wayneklein, BobT and MerseyBeatle like this.
  20. MerseyBeatle

Yeah, I’m doing that as well.

21. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Does UPS run on Sundays? I see a few of you saying it's expected on a Sunday. If mine shows up, I'll declare it the Lord Malcolm Kibee's Day.

apple-richard likes this.
  22. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

23. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

It doesn't update every step of the way like USPS does. USPS will do "arrived at" and "departed from" stops, but UPS had it in California one day.. then 4 days later it's suddenly in Wyoming.. then a couple days later it's now in my city for delivery tomorrow.

Check out this poor guy!

MerseyBeatle likes this.
  24. MerseyBeatle

Thanks. Did you sign up for special, more detailed updates or just Google or plug your tracking number in on the ups website?

25. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

It'll be nice to get the booklet that @semidetached from Mixology is doing specifically for Headquarters and made to fit in the box. I love stuff like that!