Monkees Headquarters SDE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rlp, Nov 1, 2022.

1. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Since Andrew has mentioned that there is no actual master tape (only foreign dubs), I'm wondering if it will even be a contender.

2. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Now if they could only stuff one of these in the box..
    Found it in a long lost box in my storage room.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Mine is built!

[​IMG]

4. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Comparing tracks between The Headquarters Sessions and this new SDE, I have a few questions...I wonder if @semidetached can add some insight.

The Girl I Knew Somewhere (Version 1) on Sessions, it's a "tracking composite" of takes 1-16
    But on the new SDE, there's a different "take 10" announcement from Chip, and it's a completely different take than the 10 on the previously mentioned composite

Similar question with the next track, All Of Your Toys... Again on Sessions you get a composite....yet, again on the new SDE, different dialogue and it's a different take...Even the "Okay" at the end of both is different.

Me so confused, LOL... I haven't even delved into the tracks that may or may not be duplicates with Sessions

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  5. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Except that in some cases those empty boxes weren't particularly empty!

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I ordered mine on 12/1 and supposed to delivered to the Arizona desert tomorrow. I hope so. I'm done ordering anything until after Christmas. A lot of UPS, FedEx, USPS employees working long hours plus temp workers in the mix.

The Beave and FJFP like this.
  7. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

SWEEEEEET!

D-rock, dasacco and FredV like this.
  8. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Hey, I have one of those!

D-rock, Acoustic Warrior and dasacco like this.
  9. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Yep! These were re-edited from longer mixes/sessions that Andrew mixed at the time of the Sessions set. Some of the chatter has been moved around, Derek has made a timeline of the pieces available and where they fall in both versions.

Hep Alien, FJFP, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  10. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Okay, so for the first time ever I can hear it -- in "No Time" there is an instrumental part where Micky Dolenz says something which I always thought sounded like "and that's all she wrote." But now it's clear that what he's really saying is "there's just no time." Which makes more sense.

Hep Alien, FJFP, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

So THAT'S what he mumbles?

12. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

That's one of his mumbles. He also says "rock on George for Ringo, one time," in a seemingly arbitrary shout-out to the Beatles' cover of Honey Don't. And most of the first verse is gibberish, imitating a then-recent Bill Cosby routine.

Rfreeman, D-rock and MarkTheShark like this.
  13. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I suspect someone has done this but I don't have the strength to rifle through 84 pages: list of tracks unique to Sessions and the 2-disc not found on the SDE? Thanks guys!

Tom Stigler likes this.
  14. advancecharmander

advancecharmander listening to electric ladyland

Trying to make a super duper deluxe out of the two boxes and the 2-CD is gonna be painful. So far it's looking to be around 8 discs of content in total. That's not even including the stray remixes from before those releases. Wish me luck...

15. I have to wonder if there is enough material for a Changes boxed set as some here are wishing. The album was pretty rushed when it comes to recording the album.

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  16. Curiously enough, Rhino HAS licensed other handmade titles. I have to wonder if the would license this for reissue if there was enough interest.

17. Jeff Chandler

Jeff Chandler Forum Resident

I got an email from UPS saying it would be delivered last Saturday, between 1:00 and 5:00. It arrived today (Wednesday). Just made it through the remixed album on Disc 1 -- sounds fabulous! Can't wait to listen to the rest and read the book. Still not finished focusing on the REVOLVER box set, and SAIL ON SAILOR hasn't arrived yet. It's Box-Set Winter!

18. advancecharmander

advancecharmander listening to electric ladyland

To answer part of your question, here's this quote about the Sessions release.

19. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Speaking of 'mumbles': Does anyone know what Peter says after his count in of "1,2, (and then whatever he says)" at the beginning of 'All of Your Toys'?

I've been trying to figure that one out since 1987.

20. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Something in German?

silvertrees and Grand_Ennui like this.
  21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Peter is counting off the rest in German.

Ein – “One”
    Zwei – “Two”
    Drei – “Three”
    Vier – “Four”

22. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Edit: I see Fred just beat me :D

He's counting to four in German - "eins zwei drei vier".

23. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

And despite having learnt German briefly, I always assumed it was just rhythmic noises! 1,2, a-da,Di,Di,Di...

24. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Thanks so much!

25. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Oh, that's just paranormal thinking!!!!
    :D
    Beave