Monolithic PS-1 settings

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mcow1, May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort Thread Starter

I just received my modded PS-1 and am trying to adjust the settings for my Dynavector 20x-H. I know I need probably med. to med-high gain for the 2.8Mv output but what the heck are load impedance and capacitance. I don't have a clue what to set these to. I have the specs for the cart but I don't see the correlation to the PS-1 settings. Help!!

2. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I run a Dynavector 10x4 Mk II through my Monolithic PS-1. They're different carts, though ... the recommended load resistance for mine is 47K, but I see on Dynavector's website that for yours it's "> 1K," so I'd try the 10K-ohm setting on the PS-1 (the next one up from the 1K-ohm setting).

As for capacitance loading, you could choose a setting by ear. I use 270pf myself. I remember reading a PS-1 review where the reviewer (using the same cart as me) found the 100pf setting too bright and the 370pf one too dull ... I'd experiment.

3. mcow1

Thanks, Jeff I'll try that. I was just reading what was probably the same review you refer to on hometheaterhifi.com

4. mcow1

Jeff, being as there is no on/off switch do you just leave yours on all the time or have it on a power strip or anything?

5. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Mine is always on, and has been (apart from a few momentary interruptions) for many months now. It is plugged into a switched power strip, but I never flick that switch ...

6. sgraham

sgraham New Member

The capacitance and resistance presented by the preamp's input circuit have significant (easily measurable) influence on the cartridge's frequency response. Other effects may be less easy to measure, such as changing the damping.

While it's generally agreed that moving magnet cartridges use 47k resistance (it is the standard), there is no real standard capacitive load for them. Cartridges with low internal impedence will be less affected by capacitance than those with higher impedence. Since the cables in the tonearm and the interconnects add capacitance, and the amount is not standard, it's difficult to say how exactly what the input capacitance of the preamp should be. Test records are a pain in the neck, and not entirely trustworthy, but they can help. Adding capacitance can cure a droop in the upper midrange response. Nowadays it's less likely to be a severe problem than it was in the past, since cartridges tend to have lower internal impedences.

Low output moving coil cartridges generally have very low impedences and are less affected by capacitance loading, but there is disagreement about the correct resistive load for them. According to the old school they should be terminated with a fairly low resistance, as specified by the manufacturer (say 1000 Ohms); however some audiophiles feel they have more life with a 47k input instead, despite the manufacturers' recommendations to the contrary. (I lack sufficient experience with low output moving coils to have an opinion.)

7. mcow1

Thanks for the input, Steve. I wrote the dealer I bought it from through Audiogon. He says the impedance should be 47k on this one even though the cart load is >1,000 so I'll give it a shot 'cuz it didn't sound quite right at 10k but it could just be me being too critical. I think the 270pf setting sounds about right. I'm still waffling about the gain though 35 and 44 both sound pretty good but if I remember it's best to keep it a the lowest possible and let the amp do the work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.