Monterey Pop Festival vs. Woodstock Music & Art Fair

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MichaelXX2, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo Thread Starter

The Monterey Pop Festival was home of several astonishing performances by The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Jefferson Airplane, The Who, Simon & Garfunkel, and many others. Woodstock had the Band of Gypsies, The Who, CCR, Grateful Dead, and more people know about Woodstock than Monterey. However, on a purely musical standpoint, which festival had better performances, or standout moments?

Personally, nothing can beat Monterey in my heart, even though I do enjoy Hendrix's performance at Woodstock.

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  2. Chris180g

Chris180g Forum Resident

I've loved Monterey ever since I saw the DA Pennebaker documentary for the first time shown by at a local film club on 16mm in a small inner city pub in Melbourne. Something very special about it. The Criterion DVD is a godsend too. Always worth mentioning Laura Nyro's sublime (and infamous) performance at Monterey http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/2343-laura-nyro-at-monterey-pop

3. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

Monterey by a mile. Lots of time filler acts at Woodstock but everyone was good at Monterey.

Drifter likes this.
  4. old school

old school Senior Member

The first and best Monterey. Hendrix at Woodstock was not the Band Of Gypsys as the op stated but Gypsy Rose Sun and the Rainbows?

tedhead likes this.
  5. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Gotta be Monterey! The excitement of the times and newness of hope shows through in the film. Perhaps looking back 40 years on and looking at Woodstock as the last hurrah of the 60's has something to do with it. Also, like stated above, there were mostly all great acts.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Woodstock had more meaning...but, I loved them both.

7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

8. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

You can call it anything you want to.

9. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

Monterey was amazing. I never made it to Woodstock.

10. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

There was a lot more to Woodstock than Sha Na Na. Ten Years After, Santana, Joe Cocker, Sly and the Family Stone, et al.

Based on what I've seen, I'd give Woodstock the edge.

jsayers likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

I'm 52, thus was not able to make it to either.

The Chicago School of Rock did a great tribute to Monterey:

12. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I went with Woodstock solely from a Who fan's perspective, as The Who's performance at Woodstock was soooo much better than their performance at Monterey.

Matze S. and applebonkerz like this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

Set list of Monterey Pop

Set list of Woodstock:

Friday, August 15
    Saturday, August 16

Sunday, August 17 to Monday, August 18

Marvin, quicksilverbudie and tedhead like this.
  14. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo Thread Starter

I think Hendrix's Monterey performance serves for one of the best live recordings of all time.

15. Larry Seinfeld

Larry Seinfeld Forum Resident

In 1969 all roads led to Woodstock .
    Why?
    The whole world was there.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  16. old school

old school Senior Member

If the name is wrong you explain what is it?

17. old school

old school Senior Member

Gypsy Sun and Rainbows is what Hendrix named his new band for Woodstock!

18. houston

houston Forum Resident

Woodstock is Monterey's little brother...

I even like the song, "Monterey" by Eric Burdon & the Animals, better than "Woodstock", from CSN&Y...

19. houston

houston Forum Resident

BTW, I know some White Knights might jump on me, but I found it beyond pitiful that Richie Havens' ashes were strewn on the grounds of Woodstock... all it serves, is to reduce his lengthy career to the singular performance at Woodstock... Richie bought into the Woodstock straight-jacket, so I don't feel bad for him...just pity

20. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

Monterey, if even just for Buffalo Springfield and Moby Grape.

21. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

Monterey - I never tire of the movie - my favorite performances: Hugh Masekela, Jeff Airplane, Animals, Country Joe, Ravi Shankar. Woodstock's too much.

22. MusicalHeaven

MusicalHeaven Well-Known Member

I would hope so. Aside from Santana and Joe Cocker I would consider the other two you mentioned on the weaker end of the line up.

23. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Lets have an unorganised look at some things off the top of my head:

I was hoping to like 10 Years After, but after a while I thought: take it down a notch, please....and I usually like a lot of guitar wankery. I can't believe King Crimson would be opening for that band a few years later.

Hendrix played to a bigger crowd who were witnessing the Experience for the first time in the USA at Monterey; as amazing as he was at Woodstock, the crowd split that morning since it got pushed into that last morning. The Experience were also a tighter band than Gypsys Suns and Ranbows...it wasn't just about Hendrix, but the rhythm section was killer in the Experience. Just compare Mitch Mitchell's performances. Hendrix seemed to be more of the focus of the band at Woodstock despite the lack of crazy antics and pyro technics. He was able to play AND entertain visually at Monterey. I prefer the "immobile" Hendrix with the later Band of Gypsys.

That "rock n soul" song by Country Joe and Fish sounds goofy next to the psychedelic instrumental Section 43 (reminds me of early Pink Floyd).

Monterey had a cool psychedelic light show. The Dead was the only band to try to set one up at Woodstock and the winds blew the sheets so bad they had to cut them with knives.

Speaking of The Grateful Dead, they hated their performances at both. They especially didn't want to be filmed at Monterey. Then they became the ultimate hippy band when being just that went out of fashion. Very strange.

Otis Redding with Booker T and the MGs at Monterey. But, on a soul edge Woodstock had Sly...both great "rock and soul" bands at their peak. Joe Cocker must be for the older generation because I just couldn't see what was so great about his performance.

I liked Jefferson Airplane's sets at both, but I might give the edge to Woodstock because of Wont You Try/Saturday Afternoon. It kills the studio version.
    The Who were better to me at Woodstock. Townsend did a great job considering someone dosed him.

Its a good thing Zeppelin turned the Woodstock gig down because heads would've exploded after hearing that band in their first year.
    Both gigs would've been improved by Pink Floyd. Timing, people! Imagine the Syd Barrett lineup doing 30 minute Interstellar Overdrive to a blitzed out Monterey crowd. Or the Ummagumma 1969 live period at Woodstock! Like Zep, they would've exploded some heads.
    I also wish Arthur Lee didn't turn down Love's original lineup's performance at Monterey. I know they were recording "Forever Changes" at the time, but what a show that would've been.

Monterey seemed better organized than Woodstock. I also like the styles of 1967 when everyone was weird and colorful as opposed to that proto-seventies looking Woodstock crowd looking rough and dirty. I know a lot happened to hippies in between those years, but geez!
    Monterey had "Owsley Monterey Purple", Woodstock had the bad brown acid. Fewer bummers and freak outs at Monterey thanks to Owsley.
    No rain at Monterey! They also had great jazz by The Blues Project (Flute Song!) and Hugh Masekela.

For me: Monterey.
    Woodstock had its moments, but Monterey kicked off everything...all the way up to Lollapalooza, Coachella, and Bonnaroo today. Woodstock was all about a mess that somehow worked against all odds. I could get the "Altamont is coming..." vibes from that thing. Monterey still had some innocence about it.

24. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I think I would have rather been at Monterrey.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  25. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Monterey for me....first time I saw it on TV I was blown away...! Woodstock looked like a mess compared to Monterey

sean

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.