Monty Python's 50th anniversary plans

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Raf, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Small Fish

Small Fish Forum Resident

I've received mine with slightly damaged dividers, not as bad as above though. I've sent an email to Network to see if they'll do anything about it.

Apart from that, the box is great. Looking forward to diving into these at some point soon.

2. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

That's a bummer..I never got my Avengers blu-ray from them and they responded quickly and shipped me a new one right away.

3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Well, if I got it I could get rid of, what, 18 VHS tapes.

4. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

It’s easy to see why these poorly designed boxes come damaged,the sets booklets
    Are heavy books ,mine cc ame with only two of the dividers,ripped off
    The set is a must have,and better than one could ever hope for

longdist01 likes this.
  5. mr rigsby

mr rigsby Well-Known Member

Pages have already come out of my series two book... Early in the book @pg32 onwards a clump of pages are pulling away and page 71/72 has come out completely... Shame they never had bindings and paper like the Goodies books from the Binge of Goodies package. They are not even showing any signs of distress and I have continually read them for over a year...

longdist01 likes this.
  6. porieux

porieux plook me now you savage rascal

hah, my dvd set is in storage. I just keep the files on my NAS

7. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Mine arrived from the UK today and the insides were torn to shreds. All dividers gone and corners were crushed.

longdist01 likes this.
  8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I recieved my order the inner divider box (cardboard tray...?) is all torn apart...not a nice looking package inside...the individual Disc holders appear to be dented...the sturdy outside box held the contents, but the transit overseas from UK didn't help at all!

posting photos soon.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  9. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I sent an email to Network with pictures of my damaged box asking for a replacement box sans discs.

longdist01 likes this.
  10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    The 4 digi-pak Blu-Ray slipcase binders appear safe, but the 4 cardboard slots ripped out in shipping overseas.
    The photo below appears to be different layout from box i recieved, those spaces in image below don't match up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Jerry Horne likes this.
  11. porieux

porieux plook me now you savage rascal

I would just throw the stupid box away, personally

12. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My box was trashed as well. I don't see how this design could be shipped anywhere without there being damage.

A real shame.

Jerry Horne and longdist01 like this.
  13. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

Mine arrived today (I'm in Dallas) and the dividers and box are in perfect shape, I guess I got lucky.

Btw, the box/dividers look like longdist01's box above, but not damaged. Network seems to have made an attempt to improve the packaging, perhaps by placing thicker cardboard in the dividers and also an internal cut out inside the box that supports the bottom of each season.

realkilroy and longdist01 like this.
  14. PNeski@aol.com

The inside should have been plastic,or something nice like a big book ,that would have up the price,

longdist01 and The Hud like this.
  15. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

a foam insert with cut-outs for the season boxes. That way it's not heavier to ship.

16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

the bottom of the box [___] has a sticky feel to it like contact paper. None of the set was glued together for a faster assembly.

17. Radiophonic_

Radiophonic_ Electrosonic

Got mine today in Michigan, and it was intact. Kinda surprised by that, since it was only in a big plastic bag inside the shipping box. I can see I’ll be sticking the outer box in storage, as it’s a hassle to deal with. The individual sets are nice and heavy, those books are pretty substantial. Haven’t had a chance to dig into any of it yet, though.

longdist01 likes this.
  18. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

So taking a look at the content of series 1, they have done a FANTASTIC job on this set. Nearly all of the animations are now in HD (unfortunately not Brian Islam and Brucie!) and all of episode 10's film material is now in full HD. The live action Ron Obvious material was filmed in 35mm and looks STUNNING. Such a shame that more of series 1's film doesn't exist anymore.

As far as the VT stuff, it's never looked better on home video (or probably broadcast!) before. Gone is the extremely cropped picture and heavy mpeg compression of the 2007 Sony DVDs. The slight aliasing (looks like pixelization on sharp lines) on the outdoor film material in "Wither Canada" is a result of a fault in the original telecine process in 1969, which the clarity of the new remaster unfortunately brings out a little more (it's always been there of course, but on smearier older DVDs and tapes it was much harder to notice.

The bonus studio insert material is great, longer than the youtube videos of the same content that used to be available, and in amazing quality.

Don't forget to hit "back" on the chapters when playing individual episodes because they all have the BBC VT clock at the beginning, some with some amusing studio chatter.

The one bit of "restored" material is David Frost's phone number in episode 2, the sound for that bit switches to an off-air tape which sounds pretty decent. The visual re-edit is very well done as well.

19. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

I think they could mitigate this problem easily by putting up a "TOP" sign on the packages to ensure they are transported upright.

longdist01 likes this.
  20. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Same here, in Pennsylvania.

I have to agree. I watched most of the Series 1 Disc 1 episodes last night, and I was very impressed and pleased with what I saw. I’ve never seen Python looking anywhere near this good.

Laservampire and longdist01 like this.
  21. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

My box arrived here in New Jersey in perfect shape. I am sorry to see this was not the case with others. Almost as bad as The Monkees boxset fiasco.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. PNeski@aol.com

yes that would work,I bought many box sets (mostly from Disney) in the past ,that used plastic ,which appeared like felt ,that would be better than Foam

The Hud likes this.
  23. PNeski@aol.com

I put on a second season show ,while it looked the best it ever looked ,It still was 16mm compared to seasons one 35mm (for Film segments ) and wasn't as incredible as season 1

24. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I got notice from FedEx that my package is on the local truck and will be delivered today...right after I pay tax and duty ($24). I just went and paid it and expect package to be on my doorstep when I get home.

The Hud likes this.
  25. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Does this set not feature the two German episodes? (I didn't spot them on the list of content at the Network site.) That seems like a strange omission. I was hoping to really cut down the shelf space that Python takes up and it looks like I'll need to keep 2 extra DVDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.