Moody Blues album cover art - they could have used Hipgnosis

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsy, Aug 31, 2022.

1. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

You need to do some acid. ;)

Oatsy and Arnold Grove like this.
  2. Chemically altered

I used to rotate the album cover constantly while listening to the album. They were perfect together.

Oatsy and doity like this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes. I come to this Forum every 50 years and learn something new each time... ;)

ARK, Seabass and Chemically altered like this.
  4. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

[​IMG]

From another SHF thread

caravan70, izgoblin, ARK and 5 others like this.
  5. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

I’m 65

I don’t think I’ll make another visit

6. Chemically altered

The Beatles had Blake, Yes had Dean, Floyd had Hipgnosis and The Moody Blues had Travers. All were bloody marvelous.

izgoblin, Pete Puma, Vic_1957 and 2 others like this.
  7. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

Are you another 50-yearer?

8. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

The inner gatefold of Children's Children's Children is one of my all-time favorites. Looking at it now, I think it may be one of the earliest depictions of a "man cave" :D.

And, what's the deal with that creature/thing in the lower right corner?

[​IMG]

richarm, GLENN, caravan70 and 10 others like this.
  9. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

I would say the artwork was great from In Search of the Lost Chord up through Seventh Sojourn. The cover on Days of Future Passed just looks sort of fashionably psychedelic to me, and not in a good way. Octave's cover was okay but a bit ordinary. Then Long Distance Voyager had a great cover, but great in a completely different way from their earlier records. Unfortunately that was their last really great cover.

10. doity

doity Forum Resident

I remember when Devo first came out, and how fascinated I was with their artwork and assorted bizarre imagery. I used to stare at their 2nd album over and over because it was all so odd, and their whole aesthetic really drew me in. I remember my brother coming in to my room and asked me once “Are you still looking at that thing?”

11. Zardok

Zardok Forum Resident

I think it's meant to be a dinosaur. Remember the album's concept is about past and future and about what we bequeath to those who come after, with a little bit of space and time-travel thrown in.

They are in a cave (cavemen) and the sun and scenery outside look reddish and unfamiliar, so possibly in the distant past when the sun was much hotter (yes that's right much hotter). Their fire is made frm twigs though there is also an electric lamp and maybe some proto-computer on the right - again the mix of distant past and future. I imagine Dino is a pet rather than the work of a taxidermist. After all The Flintsones were very popular at the time.

caravan70 and FramboGND like this.
  12. Chemically altered

Yes, it's hard to believe now how integral album art was to the listening experience.

caravan70 and Oatsy like this.
  13. Chemically altered

A dinosaur that didn't know it was supposed to be extinct? :laugh:

14. Oatsy

Oatsy Forum Resident Thread Starter

caravan70, willy and El Nuevo Rich-o like this.
  15. Oatsy

Everyone makes very good arguments defending the Moodies’ covers. And I can’t argue that they created a definitive identity. But i still find them a bit amateurish. And i still think it has a part to play in why the band has had some degree of difficulty being taken seriously. I love the band’s core 7! Yet somehow they’re rarely in the conversation of great bands of that era.

16. Oatsy

That Dean cover is one of my faves! Too bad the album doesn’t live up to it.

izgoblin and willy like this.
  17. Oatsy

Maybe i should get my daughter to colour mine!

18. Oatsy

It’s a nice concept but it’s too phony. The scene outside looks like a low budget sci-fi movie backdrop. And the dog? Ouch.

19. Oatsy

How could anyone miss the face on their first album??

20. Biscuit Warehouse

Biscuit Warehouse Forum Resident

:sigh:

MGM and Oatsy like this.
  21. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

To me, the Moody Blues' album covers mirror their musical evolution.From Days of Future Passed to Long Distance Voyager inclusive, they are evocative of something out of a dream. It might be just because I am so used to them, but I honestly cannot imagine those albums with covers by anyone else, not even Roger Dean and definitely not Hipgnosis. The exception is Octave, which is not terrible but ordinary, like the album. After The Present, whose cover I was disappointed to learn is a slight reworking of an existing painting, the covers progressively descend into abstract art that is not evocative of anything in particular, except perhaps lack of artistic focus.

caravan70, MGM and Vic_1957 like this.
  22. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Actually the first album has five faces if you look closely one for each band member. I think you are referring to Days of Future Passed, their second album.

izgoblin, Vic_1957, ARK and 1 other person like this.
  23. Oatsy

Don’t start

24. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

:whistle:

25. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

Oh, brother. Amateurish. Good grief. The album covers were and are art. As such they not only were above most every other cover art out there, they did it consistently.