Moody Blues In search of the lost chord 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by t-man 54, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Must be a new mix. The SACD reissue was stereo only.

2. Further

Further Forum Resident

There's no way they could've done this without finding the missing multitracks, so this is excellent news.

What's curious is that I haven't read any mention of them finding them, you'd think that would be a major part of the story. Lately, there always seems to be mention of "recently discovered" tapes, etc. with various releases, so it's a bit odd that they wouldn't be using this fantastic news as a selling point.

This is probably my favorite Moody Blues album. So glad we're finally getting a 5.1 mix.

zobalob, Simon A, FVDnz and 1 other person like this.
  3. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

The Ce soir on danse broadcast is the holy grail, as it includes the never released original "Beautiful Dream".

4. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

5. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I'm stunned at these wonderful anniversary releases coming out.
    1968 had serious problems but bad music was not one of them;)

6. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Wonder if a studio version of this exists..?
    Prob. not, it would have been released for this edition...
    An interesting, vintage tune.
    Studio version would rule.
    You would think they would have rehearsed and committed this to tape before doing it live.

7. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Not necessarily; a lot of bands road-test their songs before bringing them into the studio. In the Moodies' case, Days of Future Passed was based on a stage act that they had already developed in an attempt to break out of their self-inflicted reputation as a cabaret cover band.

JohnCarter17 and longdist01 like this.

8. Strange that SDE has no mention of this. That you to the thread starter. I’ve preordered.

t-man 54 likes this.
  9. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Aware of that
    And
    Does make sense that this song was like you say “road tested”

longdist01 likes this.
  10. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I think a month of overtime is more what you need.

Mike Dow likes this.
  11. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Somewhere in the past, I think in the 1980s, Derek Varnals (their engineer) said that the reason that "Chord" didn't get a quad mix was that some of the effects in the stereo mix were done"live" while mixing the masters, and it was deemed too hard to faithfully duplicate those effects, but "maybe later".

12. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I don't think the anniversary of this release is significant in the say that, say, Days of Future passed was significant. A good album, but not ground-breaking; they broke the ground with its predecessor.

13. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

This is a dream release for me, totally unexpected. This will be the first real 5.1 release for The Moodies. Hope they don't screw it up. The Best Way To Travel had better spin the freakin' room around. Love the non-forcing of LPs and the small box size. Can't wait.

14. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

I'm assuming they have kept all the tracks close together and/or overlapped like the original.

15. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

That's really interesting and it does make sense. So the story of the lost tapes for "...Lost Chord" may not be true after all. Thanks for that. Hopefully the book included in the set will address it.

Simon A likes this.
  16. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

It looks like the DVD of Ce soir on danse doesn't include "Legend 0f a Mind", perhaps because the broadcast only included the second half of the song. Still, it's a pity to exclude this rare early live version of the song.
    Also, I'm wondering if this really will contain a 5.1 mix. The language in the press release is ambiguous: "The first DVD in the package contains In Search of the Lost Chord in 96kHz/24-bit 5.1 Surround, as a new stereo mix and the original stereo mix."

17. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Associated photo shows a dedicated DVD that states 5.1 Surround Sound Mix, so it's inclusion seems pretty firm to me.

18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

definitely ... i was so disappointed when the sacd was just the stereo, great album

Mike Dow likes this.
  19. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I have a question. I wonder if I'm just imagining this. I could swear that at some point years ago, I heard a version of "Dr. Livingstone I Presume" in which Mike Pinder's harpsichord (or rather his organ impersonating one) that comes in after "I've still not found what I'm looking for..." Is featured much louder and more prominent in the mix. Does this version actually exist?

20. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

It’s a mellotron.
    And it may have been the BBC radio version.

21. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I think that last sentence is missing a couple of words: "as well as a new stereo mix..."

Digital-G likes this.
  22. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

The new 5.1 mix has been made by Jakko Jakszyk.

makedatmusic likes this.
  23. makedatmusic

makedatmusic Forum Resident

Source?

24. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

It is written on the sleeve for the DVD on the picture of the boxset (on amazon website). Look closely !

rd1, kenbefound and makedatmusic like this.
  25. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.