Moody Blues - What is the best of the "best ofs"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Trashman, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

I have the UK and German pressings, both sound excellent. Probably the German is the better of the two, due to the superior pressing quality. I believe that Tony Clarke made sure that no alterations were made to the mastering wherever the album was released.

2. :tiphat:

NumberEight likes this.
  3. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

I have Magnificent Moodies for those pre Hayward Lodge tracks, Voices In The Sky, Blue, Best of And Collection for the single edit of The Story In Your Eyes which gets me quite a number of single edits!

4. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

5. Smurr1958

Smurr1958 Well-Known Member

Have This is... LP- wanted a more complete set- was deciding between
    “ Time Traveler” & “ Timeless Flight”
    Set- after your many opinions here- went with “Time Traveler”- Got the 5 disc set from eBay for $14.00 shipped-
    Love it-
    Thanks

Pete Puma and btomarra like this.
  6. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

I am interested in finding out about the sound quality of The Moody Blues 2013 Timeless Flight 4CD set, The Moody Blues 2007 Collected 3CD set and the recent 2017 The Moody Blues Essential 3CD set from Universal - Spectrum - can a few people please reply back with comments about the audio quality and the volume level of these three different releases?

Carlox likes this.
  7. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes I also am interested in how the sound quality is on this set.

8. btomarra

I will let ones weigh in who have listened to it. Timeless Flight appears somewhat compressed:

Disc 1:

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

Disc 2:

Disc 3:

If a box set is what you’re after, Time Traveller would be my choice. Great sound quality, pretty good track selection.

Pete Puma likes this.
  9. Futurecity

Well, I do have the Time Traveller promo sampler CD, but at this stage, I don't want a used copy of the Time Traveller Box, and finding a brand new and sealed copy for a decent price will be difficult.

I also checked out the Timeless Flight DR numbers tonight, and they seem acceptable to me...Discs 1-3 are DR 9, while Disc 4 is DR 10. Now, a few songs scattered throughout the set are DR 5, DR 6 and DR 7, but with an average DR 9 and DR 10, Timeless Flight is OK IMO. I usually like modern remastering, as long as the CDs aren't brickwalled, and I find that I can enjoy listening to most DR 9-10 CDs.

I'm still curious to hear from someone who owns the 2007 Moody Blues Collected 3CD set...I've read some mixed comments about the audio on that set, but would like to find out what the story is? It has an incredible track-list...having everything from "Go Now", to "This Is The Moment", so I wonder if Collected is recommended or not?

btomarra likes this.
  10. Futurecity

Does anyone have The Moody Blues 1998 Anthology 2CD set?

That one has "Go Now", and I would like to know if this 1998 2CD set sounds good or great, and how the SQ compares to lets say, the 2006 Gold 2CD set?

11. btomarra

I had Anthology and Gold. I bought The Collection as it’s still available and cheap (import version, same exact track selection but different cover. White silhouette resembles the Time Traveller box set. I assume mastering is the same).

[​IMG]

Gold has a clean intro to Lovely To See You. That comp was bright! Ellen Fitton:

New Universal Gold 2CD sets

Anthology sounds nicer.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Audiowannabee, Carlox and Futurecity like this.
  12. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

I have this one, too...

btomarra likes this.
  13. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

14. btomarra

I have praised this on more than one thread here. The crossfades are unique and are so effective, it’s as though the songs were originally planned to flow that way.

Example: Tuesday Afternoon is remixed with Ray Thomas’ flute at the outro is higher in the mix. When And The Tide Rushes In starts with Ray’s vocal, his flute on the preceding track underlines it with every syllable. Also the cymbal crash at the end of I’m Just A Singer becomes the cymbal flourish that begins For My Lady. Ingenious!!!

Opinions on the remix of Question on this. Love the guitar intro like the single, but want to get opinions on the tone down ending with the backing vocals higher in the mix and orchestration mixed way down. Thoughts?

ronbow and mwheelerk like this.
  15. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Why don’t you want a used one? You can probably get a near mint set for a good price.

16. btomarra

While the track selection has pre Hayward-Lodge Moodies tracks and solo numbers other than from Hayward which are new to a Moody Blues collection, The Present (Blue World, Sitting At The Wheel) appears MIA. Nights In White Satin is the stereo single version.

If it still appeals to you, then just grab it. IMHO, I would go for The Collection (still in print) or Time Traveller.

Futurecity likes this.
  17. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

Each MB album should be viewed in its entirety and not cut up into "best ofs."

18. Futurecity

Time Traveller came out in 1994...it's been around a while, so I would just prefer a brand new, factory sealed copy at this stage. I used to buy a lot of used CDs, but certain ones I want in brand new condition if possible.

19. btomarra

Sorry, my previous post had an error. Blue World from The Present is on this.

20. btomarra

Sorry for quoting an old post, but how is this confusing? The OP was looking for a balanced best of, and this post broke down the source material of hits and album tracks on this import version of Anthology. I have The Collection (it’s still in print) and I bought it cheap.

NumberEight likes this.
  21. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

My apologies, as your post was actually an excellent (and helpful) analysis of what’s on The Collection.

I can’t remember exactly what prompted my 2017 post, but it was probably the number of acronyms in that particular paragraph - and the thought that it was just the sort of thing that might put off a potential Moodies fan for the rest of his/her life. (I suspect it didn’t.)

Coincidentally, my brother and I (who haven’t seen each other for two years due to Covid) were talking about the Moody Blues yesterday. He reminded me of my telling him, several years ago, that a compilation he’d just bought had IMHO an almost perfect track list. We couldn’t remember the name of the compilation; needless to say, it was The Collection.

Now to go back and read your original post with the attention it deserves. :)

22. NumberEight

Oops. See Post #146.

23. NumberEight

Oops. See Post #147.

24. Futurecity

I took a look at The Collection 2CD set, I think it was released back in 2001...how is the sound quality on this? Does it have enough tone and bass, or is it a bit bright perhaps, and how is the volume level...are the songs loud or not loud at all?

25. Futurecity

I doubt that 2001 Collection 2CD comp would sound the same as the 1994 Time Traveller set, but if possible, can you please revisit your The Collection 2CD set and let me know how the audio is?

I'm not a fan of some 2001 era mastering, but maybe this one sounds good and has a nice volume level?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.