Moon Ace - does anyone actually own one?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by allbread, Dec 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allbread

allbread New Member Thread Starter

Hi All,

I can't quite figure this unit out. I see many rave write-ups from publications but not a lot of user reviews. It seems to stay right at $3400 new and can't be found used anywhere (I don't even see that any have sold on ebay in the past year - if ever). So, either people who buy them love them and never sell them or no one buys them in the first place!

Went from a 10K McIntosh rig 6 years ago to a Peachtree Nova 150 which I've never loved. My music habits have changed a ton and I love the convenience and easy new music discovery offered by streaming so mainly do Tidal with a few records still laying around. CD/SACD player is long gone.

So, I'm looking for smooth, simple, small foot print and great sound. Have no desire to get back into McIntosh type money or constant upgrade and tweaking. Just want a solid piece of kit that that's a noticeable upgrade from the Peachtree and covers the basis with elegance and simplicity and holds some resale value (even though I hope to just enjoy it without thinking about gear for 10 years or so).

Speakers are B&W CM9

Is the Moon Ace for me? Anything else to consider?

Appreciate any input from owners - are you happy? Are you keeping it?

2. allbread

Hmm, just found a used Naim Uniti Atom that would save me well over a grand so it's being highly considered.

3. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

I own a Naim UnitiQute and its a great piece of gear. Atom is the evolution of that product. Go for it.

4. allbread

Sure enough - doesn't seem like anyone owns one. Thinking I'll do the Atom, them. Can get one used for $2k. Seems like a solid upgrade from the peachtree and WAY cheaper then putting together anything half way decent separately would be.

5. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

There’s the new NAD M33, which is garnering positive reviews.

JohnK

6. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

I don't own an Ace but have heard one at my local dealer, if I were looking to do what you are doing the Ace would be my first port of call.

I understand that the Ace is selling rather well here in the UK.

Most of my system is now Moon and I find the sound really rather beguiling, it just seems to draw me into the music.

wgriel likes this.
  7. Robsonschoice

Robsonschoice Forum Resident

Here's an Ace owner..!! Would not trade mine for anything else and I listened to most of what was available when I bought it (2 years ago)....the reason you may not be seeing them used is maybe people just won't part with them...Careful speaker partnering will work extremely well with the Ace, I suspect your B&W's will work well. I use Totem Arros at 4 ohms and your B&W's are rated 8 but normally around 6 which would fit well with the Ace, don't be put off the 50w per channel only I can tell you I've never had the volume above 65 on the readable volume scale and if it helps I wouldn't be trading mine in for the Naim units...I agree with MGW it is a beguiling sound.

MGW likes this.
  8. gestalt

gestalt Forum Resident

The Gold Note IS-1000 is another one box integrated/DAC/phono/streamer option that sounds great.

9. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I was in the same boat looking for a good all in one solution, but while there was a dealer somewhat local, dos were by appointment only and he didn't have one on hand. But the difference here is that I love my Nova150 and ended up going with a Nova500 for the other room.

Curious what you didn't like about the Peachtree. I can see where coming from McIntosh it would be a different sound, at least as I have heard since I have listened to McIntosh but never owned any. Since I was coming from ARC, I am guessing the Mcintosh had a warmer presentation, whereas the Nova(s) are more like the ARC house sound than Mc.

As for the ACE, I am thinking many will think that $3400 is a lot of investment for a device that is so software oriented. I think I would rather have an amp with a good DAC and phono stage but leave the streaming to a box that would not be so big a hit with any obsolescence. Maybe a Bluesound Node2i, or in my case a homemade Raspberry Pi as a Roon endpoint.

10. allbread

Thanks for all the feedback! I shouldn't be too hard on the Peachtree - it's served me well and wasn't always fed the best sources, was streaming Spotify through an apple TV for a lot of it!

And, everything changed at once - room, speakers, amp. So don't where the weaklink was but I know that my enjoyment of music dimished (even with the CD player and Vinyl).

Happy to hear that there are some happy ace owners. I'm still tempted to demo one.

I picked up the Utiliti Nova and it's really nice. Looks slick and I love the functionality. Sound quality is excellent but lacks weight. Sounds like really good digital - wide, spacious, detailed, airy dynamic, and just a little too bright! Again, only this one set of speakers so don't know if it's the amp. It's definitely a high quality sound but one that leans forward a bit (emphasis on high mids and highs) and I prefer it when things lean back just a little. Bass is just a hair lean so it doesn't feel quite feel rooted for all of it's lovely sparkle. Wish it had a nice eq feature - I could make 3 minor adjustments and love it - it's really close! I mix post-production audio all day long through some super revealing Genelecs and I kind of want my home system to feel like putting on a cozy flannel after a long day. Gonna spend some time with it and decide if it stays.

How's the sound of the ACE - does it have good weight to it? I'm a fan of detail but I'd trade a little for slightly rolled off highs that make your shoulders slump as you relax into it. That and a little bass to move the body. I'm in a condo so listening levels are low - perhaps this Uniti really evens out at higher volumes but I'll never know!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  11. allbread

Quick follow up and I'm done. Falling silly in love with this Uniti. Lively, dynamic, spacious. I'd love to bump the low end by 2dB but not going to go down the rabbit hole to do it! Thanks for your help!

timind likes this.
  12. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

Listen up in Boulder is listed as a dealer. Why not give them a call, tell them what you have and what you are hoping to hear and ask if the will either demo, or better still, LOAN you one, and some other recommendations? You aren't buying a fridge here, you want something that actually compliments your other equipment, or perhaps becomes the center of a new system. Why wouldn't you audition one before buying AS WELL AS some that you AREN'T looking at?

13. David Matthew Horn

David Matthew Horn Well-Known Member

Considering purchasing one of these to simplify the setup. Is there anything else folks would recommend as a main competitor to the Moon Ace? From a sreamer perspective, would it be an upgrade to a Bluesound Node 2i for example? Also, do you expect this model will be updated soon - came out in 2016.

14. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

The Moon MiND2 streaming module is brilliant, it really does seem to have a bit of the analogue about it.
    But more broadly, yes I would expect the Moon, at four time the price, to comfortably best the Bluesound.

David Matthew Horn likes this.
  15. Robsonschoice

Robsonschoice Forum Resident

Agree100%with that....

16. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Well, I didn't think I would go this route, but after demoing an ACE a couple months ago I was very impressed! I got off the hook since they had no stock, but they got another batch so here I am! Unfortunately, like everything the price kept going up (and up). So now at $4200 for a 50W Canadian beauty. That's a really big number, but I must say that it just works SO well that I can justify it in my mind. Is it really that much better than my old Nova150 and a Node2i. That's a tough call. The phono stage is certainly better, the DAC is a tad more musical, overall sound is better. Overall a much better package, but 2X? I guess that depends on the buyer.

17. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I’ll second Gold Note. I use their Dac/Streamer in my main system and really appreciate the SQ and ergonomics. I was seriously considering the IS- 1000 for my second system before going the active speaker route

gestalt likes this.
  18. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Good dealer. Purchased both McIntosh and Sim Audio Moon products from them. Good service before and after the sale.

19. LiamV

LiamV New Member

I have the Ace and a Goldnote is 1000 deluxe. Both are great. The GN is a little darker. Speakers are totems and klipsch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.