More info about the Velvet Underground reunion tour please

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by babaluma, Nov 27, 2022.

1. babaluma

babaluma Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone on here got info about the motivation behind the VU reunion tour? From what I have read Lou wasn't that into it and his vocals on the live album seem to contrast with his solo vocals which have a lot more passion. The playing is pretty good though.

It can't have been money for Lou and John at this stage of their careers? Was it to help out Mo and Sterling? Whose idea was it? What did the band think of the venture? I imagine their was bitterness as Lou bailed before the US tour that must have cost them a lot of money.

Did Lou start out enthused but then lose interest? Anyone attend any of the gigs in person?

Any thoughts or history of this would be appreciated!

905 likes this.
  2. I always thought it was about money.

Lou was coming off possibly his biggest success in the US, Cale had never sold well anywhere. The Velvets mythology had percolated for over 20 years the interest was still there as alternative became mainstream. There was still time to see if there was any checks/interest to be cashed in.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    jupiter8, babaluma, kwadguy and 3 others like this.
  3. Cimrya Deal

Cimrya Deal Forum Resident

There is an article in french magazine Les Inrockuptibles recounting how it all started. There was an exhibition about Andy Warhol at the Fondation Cartier. The original VU lineup was there and Lou Reed and John Cage played a few songs from Songs For Drella. Later they spontaneously/awkwardly played a few VU songs with Sterling and Moe (or maybe just one). A few months later they announced the reunion.

jupiter8, phillyal1, babaluma and 4 others like this.
  4. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I was at the second night in Edinburgh.

timnor, DTK, babaluma and 2 others like this.
  5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

My potted history of the tour and some comments:

Reed and Cale recorded Songs For Drella at the end of 1989
    They then met for the mid-1990 reunion in Paris at the NY Fondation Cartier, and performed Heroin.
    It worked and then they discussed reforming.
    Originally, as I believe Cale understood it, the idea was to create new work.
    As it turned out that Lou Reed wanted complete control. There would be no new material*.
    And thus it became the VU catalogue rejuvination tour, which set the template for many other rock acts.
    The end.

I saw them in London. The actual show, the whole thing saddened me immensely. I'm only suprised that Cale's experience making Drella did not forwarn him that a VU reunion would become another Lou Reed solo project.

*except for the throw-away 'Cayote' song.

babaluma likes this.
  6. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

If Lou hadn't been into it, at some point, it would never have happened. I saw them on the tour and Lou's vocals were hideous but his guitar playing was brilliant!

GimiSomeTruth and MarkTWIC like this.
  7. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Opening for U2. Whose idea was that? Lou wasn't easy to work with and his vocals were off. At least we got Songs For Drella which is almost the VU in spirit.

8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

dunno, man, but it was all worth it for me

Ewan7 and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  9. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Thing is, the tracks that works best on the re-union live album, are the tracks Cale didn’t appeared on, originally.

As for the whole project, I think it was half-hearted. Maybe I’m wrong, but I think it was to financially helping out Sterling and Moe.
    Was Sterling Morrison diagnosed by this point?
    Surely, he didn’t look too healthy on the pictures and film.

AlienRendel and fallbreaks like this.
  10. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Did Sterling’s non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma have anything to do with their decision to reunite? He died of cancer barely more than two years after the reunion tour finished. It can be a slow-moving cancer (or a quick one) and I’ve often wondered if ‘seizing the moment’ was one of their motivations. Anyone know when he was diagnosed?

EDIT: @MHP beat me to it!

phillyal1 likes this.
  11. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I was at the opening night:

[​IMG]

iggyd, jupiter8, RAZORMADE and 9 others like this.
  12. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

It's a pity Nico wasn't still alive to join up - though I suppose they still wouldn't have let her sing "Waiting For The Man".

13. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

It’s worth noting that Sterling kept in touch with Moe, and it was she who eventually persuaded him to go back on the road as part of her touring band. Without that connection, I doubt the 1993 reunion would have happened.

This postcard, from my personal collection, shows Moe writing to Sterling during a 1991 solo tour of Europe:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Sterling was not diagnosed until after the tour was complete, and he died very soon after that. I don't think the tour was intended to "help" Sterl, but part of the idea might have been to help Moe, and Moe brought Sterl on board.

DTK, Ewan7, GimiSomeTruth and 3 others like this.
  15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

But "I'll Be Your Mirror" might have worked brilliantly. Unless her voice was shot, a raspy croak?

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I thought Lou sounds ok on the live video of the reunion show. His skin looks fairly bad like someone with liver failure coming on. Aged skin beyond normal imo.

17. The macerator

The macerator Draining the pool.

stepeanut likes this.
  18. Lord Rocker

Lord Rocker Forum Resident

To be fair Lou Reed stopped attempting to sing anything in the 80s.

19. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I feel the same way. Although Lou actually (kinda) sang “Sweet Jane” at the Rock Hall Concert after dedicating it
    Sterling who had already passed away. That was pretty much the end of his ‘singing’.

20. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

When are you dating this to? On the albums with Quine he is singing so hard much of the time it almost borders on over-singing. I'm thinking of things like "Heavenly Arms."

groundharp, DTK, phillyal1 and 2 others like this.
  21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

A cash grab, pure and simple, a last, highly paid, victory lap. It never felt like anything more. It never felt like a new beginning, or even that everyone was happy to be back together.

It paid off for the participants, but, with apologies to Public Enemy, it never meant s--t to me.

babaluma likes this.
  22. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

John, Sterling and Moe performed at the Warhol Museum and played two songs behind the Warhol movies
    Eat and Kiss. My wife and I attended the second show. I had read somewhere that Sterling was diagnosed very soon
    after. This was his last live performance.

There was a reason as to why Lou wouldn’t play this particular show, but I don’t want to turn this into a
    ‘Let’s bash Lou’ thread! Hahaha.

babaluma, Ewan7 and Vangro like this.
  23. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I remember being disappointed that they didn't tour in the U.S. Also, being shocked at how bad the vocals were on the live album.

24. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I think the song I later heard from the CD, and that I felt had perhaps survived the resurrection process was Hey Mr. Rain. That and maybe I Heard Her Call My Name?

phillyal1 and TeddyB like this.
  25. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Reed hated her until the end, as you can infer from James Young’s book about her final years