More Rory Gallagher reissues coming in Summer 2013

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Smith, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

thanks

2. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

Absolutely -- the McAvoy book has way more personal info and insight on Rory (though even Gerry admits Rory was very private and hard to know). Even if you don't read it for Rory material, it's a great account of life on the road and the music business - the boys definitely got around. The Connaughton book was a disappointment to me and seemed to contain material already out there on the web, patched together with some new material. It was particularly vague on Rory's last years too. It's still readable, and a good intro to the early days or a general primer on Rory but McAvoy's book also had me laughing out loud in places at the antics and the comments.

celticbob likes this.
  3. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Any news on these?

4. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Still waiting on the label to set the release dates last I heard.

5. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

I've just asked Daniel Gallagher (Rory's nephew) for an update regarding the 2013 Sony Legacy editions of Stage Struck, Defender and Fresh Evidence. I'll post here if/when I get a reply.

6. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Any word?

7. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

New Rory release from Eagle Rock;

Rory Gallagher: Kickback City 3CD Deluxe Edition, LP, Digital Audio:
    Irish guitar legend Rory Gallagher was a fan of crime novels, so much so that the books influenced a lot of his songwriting. Little did he know that famed crime writer Ian Rankin included him in his Detective Rebus crime novels, as the titular character listens to Rory’s music in several instances. Now, the connections go one step further. Rankin worked with Rory’s brother, Donal Gallagher, on weaving a story to complement the jigsaw of themes within Rory’s crime songs. The result is Kickback City, a beautiful graphic novel packaged with illustrations by Timothy Truman, audio reading by Aidan Quinn, and a 3D album. [MSRP $49.98 3CD, TBA LP]

8. Andrew Smith

This the latest statement from Daniel Gallagher regarding the 2013 reissues of Stage Struck, Defender and Fresh Evidence. This was posted on the 13th July on the official Rory Gallagher online forum:

I'm working to get the last re-issued albums out for mid September. The audio has been mastered and the artwork completed just had to arrange a date that Sony were happy to release on.

Cheers,

Daniel Gallagher
    Strange Music Ltd

9. Beech

Beech Forum Resident

Let's hope the mastering is better then the"The Rory Gallagher Collection" from Sony Legacy last year. Awful (unless you happen to like heavily brickwalled sound). I gave up before I got halfway through disc one.

10. Andrew Smith

Remember also that the Sony Legacy reissues last year all featured the original mix of the albums, which is the mix that Rory original gave the nod to. The majority of the previous CD reissues from 1999/2000 were remixed. These remixes were not given the nod by Rory, as he had already died around 4 years earlier. I don't really know why they thought these albums needed a new remix at the time. The 2012 Sony Legacy reissues sound fine to my ears. I personally didn't think they were too loud, but that's just my opinion.

slipkid likes this.
  11. Beech

Beech Forum Resident

Just in case I didn't make myself clear - my comment was only in relation to the 2012 two cd R.G. Collection and not any other recent releases / or planned releases.

12. Andrew Smith

Sorry, I thought you meant the individual albums. Because I saw you mention Sony Legacy and the year 2012 I automatically presumed you were talking about the 2012 reissues. I thought it was a bit strange when you said the mastering was too loud, but now it seems we were both thinking of different releases. I can't comment on the remastering on The Rory Gallagher Collection as I've never heard it. I didn't even know it existed until I looked it up on Amazon UK a few minutes ago.

Beech likes this.
  13. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Fresh Evidence and Stage Struck up for preorder at Amazon.uk, both under 6 GBP.

14. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Thanks

15. Andrew Smith

Great news! Here's the links...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stage-Struc...8&sr=1-1&keywords=stage+struck+rory+Gallagher

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fresh-Evide...sr=1-1&keywords=fresh+evidence+rory+Gallagher

I can only see Stage Struck and Fresh Evidence as 2013 reissues fro pre order. There is a 2012 remastered edition of Defender, and it says it was released by Sony CMG, the same as these 2013 CD's for pre-order. I thought they were all reissued by Sony Legacy anyway. This may be an error by Amazon UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Defender-Re...18168&sr=1-2&keywords=defender+rory+gallagher

16. Is there any possibility of Rory's Taste releases getting the same reissue treatment? I'm sure those would go over very well with fans.

17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I think so (anything is possible, but can get tied up in legal wranglings). I 4get the deal with the Taste stuff. I'll ask....

18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

OK, the scoop is that the rights to the Taste albums are owned by Polydor/Universal and they themselves apparently have no current plans to do anything with those. The folks behind the various Rory remasters would like to do something with the Taste catalog but haven't yet been able to work out a licensing deal with Universal. Maybe someday, but nothing on the horizon just yet.

19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

P.S. Some of the live photos I took that I mentioned earlier in this thread ARE going to be used in StageStruck!! I'm really thrilled. Can't wait to see which ones they chose and how they look in the booklet.

DrLunchbox, patrickd and celticbob like this.
  20. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

That's really cool, Slipkid! Congrats!

21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks Anthrax.

22. Andrew Smith

Fantastic news! They were great photos. Did they ask you for the negatives, or were the prints good enough?

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

The prints were fine :)

24. Andrew Smith

It is possible that Sony Legacy may buy the rights to the Taste catalogue, seeing as all the other RG material is now owned by them. This has happened in similar circumstances before.

A few years ago, Paul Simon's back-catalogue was brought by Sony Music from Warner Music Group. This was because Simon & Garfunkel have always been under Columbia (part of Sony Music). Now, all Paul Simon's output is under one record company (Sony Music)... so you never know if something similar might happen here, seeing as it's Sony Music who own RG's solo catalogue.

25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah, that's what we have to hope for. Hasn't been achievable yet though, Universal isn't selling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.