Morrissey News

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheWarmth, Jul 27, 2017.

1. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

I looked it up on Amazon, and this is a great price ($15 USD). How's the mastering on this? I ask since it's 2009, and many of the releases from this era were "mastered for iTunes" and fairly brickwalled. Is this one of the good ones?

2. George P

George P Notable Member

For the songs we are discussing, yes. Then it gets progressively louder, but so do the respective albums:

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi likes this.
  3. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

In the context of a compilation of his first several singles - plus a selection of their b-sides - it makes sense, but for U.K. fans it was a bit unnecessary; though I don’t recall having a problem with their inclusion at the time.

A couple of the other b-sides from that period would’ve made welcome replacements, though.

4. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident Thread Starter

Whoever suggested the inclusion of "The Girl Least Likely To" and "Sister I'm A Poet" was spot on.

Man at C&A, Snoddywilko and George P like this.
  5. TheWarmth

Man, to think how much money I spent buying import Moz singles back in the day and now that whole collection is available for only $16. Ugh.

James Bennett and guidedbyvoices like this.
  6. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

zero interest in a new morrissey album at this point but glad Quarry is getting a vinyl reissue, IMO that's his last really good release.

Markyp likes this.
  7. Snoddywilko

I think Ringleader might be a more consistent album overall.

Everything since then has had its moments,too, but no highlights quite as high as the best on Quarry/Ringleader.

The MEZ likes this.
  8. TheWarmth

I think Quarry is far superior to Ringleader. Just my opinion, of course.

Check out this fantastic live set from October. Sound quality is excellent.

9. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

You Are The Quarry is head and shoulders over Ringleader of the Tormentors, which is a great album. On the other hand Life Is a Pigsty is one of his best tracks. All in my opinion, of course.

10. Snoddywilko

After recently reviewing both albums, I just find that Ringleader holds together as an album better. The production & the variation in instrumentation are key factors; plus I love some of the songs.

Quarry also has some really great songs, but it also has some stinkers & I dislike the production quite a lot.

But, of course, it’s just a matter of personal taste. Taken together, they’re his last two most consistent albums.

11. George P

George P Notable Member

I checked the original Suedehead and Everyday is Like Sunday CD singles against the above set and the mastering is exactly the same.

JeffMo and Mr. H like this.
  12. TheWarmth

Rumor is that the new single is dropping tomorrow.

granata likes this.
  13. TheWarmth

It got taken down (before I had a chance to hear it). Tomorrow is apparently the official release date.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    alexpop likes this.
  14. TheWarmth

15. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

16. Snoddywilko

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Looks like a quickie conception, song titles / album cover. Maybe Rough Trade will put it out.

18. ottosander

ottosander Forum Resident

Oh my god, if this is really the cover he's lost the last bit of dignity. Everything about it is a disaster, the layout, the font, everything. It's hard to believe that the same artist is responsible for the incomparable artwork of the Smiths or his early solo years? And if it gives us any clue as to the musical content of the album, the worst is to be feared. Where's Jo Slee, the whores in retirement, Tris Penna etc.? I mean it´s clear not to judge the book by the cover, but this cover is just plain awful

Skydog7 likes this.
  19. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

True, but most of his solo covers are awful and most are really good albums. It is a shame that he can’t put together a good album cover anymore. It’s almost like he does bad cover art on purpose.

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

He should team up with Johnny Marr.

21. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

It's not as if Moz hasn't used childhood photos before (given The Last of The Famous International Playboys). That said, I find the concept of Moz and dignity a bit odd - they divorced a long time ago, with the signs first being there when he couldn't be bothered to create sleeve artwork for Maladjusted. These days, when he makes his band wear uniforms as high ranking officials in the Glorious Democratic People's Republic Of Morrissey, the idea of dignity seems quite distant. It's more like seeing pictures of your ex from 25 years ago pop up on Facebook after you haven't seen them for many years, and some people age better than others.

Krzych likes this.
  22. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I wonder how much he wants to sell the rights to release the album.
    I will try to avoid threadcrapping but he has burned so many bridges that I can't think of a label who would release his music apart from the likes of "businesses" that print copies of Mein Kampf.

23. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

It seems like less of an announcement and more of a signal to labels. Like he wants to broadcast that he’d like a label to pick it up. It’ll be interesting to see if it works. He could easily self-release and make more money directly but I guess he feels above that

24. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

these are def the worst song titles of his career. Ha Ha Harlem? Kerouac Crack? Rebels Without Applause?

25. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

In the press release, he calls it, "The best album of my career." He also calls the last three albums on BMG "the best albums I've ever done." So, there's that.