Mosaic Box: Complete Louis Armstrong Decca Sessions (1935-1946)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dale 88, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm Thread Starter

It's here! The 7 CD box has arrived, The Complete Louis Armstrong Decca Sessions (1935-1946).

LouisArmstrong (2).jpg

What are your views?

I will be spending this evening listening to the first couple of CDs. :D

Red Beans and Ricely Yours, [as Louis used to sign his correspondence]

Dale

2. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I'd like to take a leap of faith and buy this, but I'm almost afraid to do so. Hot 5 and Hot 7 recordings? No problem.

But I worry this is just a tad too "mainstream, pop music" Louis for my taste, especially if I have to shell out the big $$ without really knowing whether I'm right or wrong.

3. dale 88

Production:

Metal part and 78 transfers: Andreas Meyer and Doug Pomeroy

Sound restoration and mastering by Andreas Meyer
    24-bit technology was utilized at all stages of the production of this Mosaic release.

Vault research: Randy Aronson, Kristen Bensch and Scott Wenzel
    78s provided by: Michael Brooks, The Institute of Jazz Studies and Steven Lasker

Produced for release by Scott Wenzel
    Executive Producer: Michael Cuscuna

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I don't know if you did a search, but I posted a thread about this here back in November 2008!

5. dale 88

Yes, I did a search. I even contributed to the thread.

Since the previous thread was only about the planned pre-release information, a thread about the actual release was due.

6. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

i'm of a mind about this as well. Not sure if I'd enjoy this era as much as what came before or after.

certainly itchy to pull the trigger on this one but this has been holding me back.

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

You could have posted in the existing thread, to keep all news and info in one place.

8. musiclover56

musiclover56 New Member

“If ya ain't got it in ya, ya can't blow it out”
    -Louis Armstrong

9. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Yes, some (maybe most) of the material Satchmo was tackling makes me cringe. But man, he was on whenever he played that trumpet. I already have this material, so I'll have to skip the Mosaic.

Not for beginners, but recommended if you already have the Hot 5s, and the 30's big band recordings and need more.

10. KLM

KLM Senior Member

I'm considering getting this especially as Mosaic has free shipping this week. Any other thoughts on the performances and sound quality from those who have purchased the new Mosaic set.

11. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

One might be able to sample it by way of a few Decca CD comps, namely:
    Rhythm Saved the World ('35-'36)
    Heart Full of Rhythm Vol. 2 ('36-38)
    Pocketful of Dreams Vol. 3 ('38)
    some tracks on the two Best of the Decca Years comps.

Of course there are P.D. releases overseas. Such as the Proper Box and two volumes of The Complete Decca Studio Master Takes on Definitive Records.

Little doubt Mosaic has the more complete listing and superior sound quality but I don't have it yet to be specific. Hope to, before it goes OOP.

Yes the material is quite rooted in the past, mid-'30s to mid-'40s mainstream, often campy if you're charitable, schlock if not. The backing is ah... variable. Some are classic though. I like Louis' own Lazy 'Sippi Steamer for instance. And bluesbro ain't blowing no smoke when he says, "But man, he was on whenever he played that trumpet." It's Louis freakin' Armstrong. Odds on that one could make a single disc comp of tracks one does like. Fans will likely want it though most folks are advised to stock up elsewhere in his discography first.

12. dale 88

It may be a matter of taste on the performances. I enjoy both jazz and jazz-influenced pop, so I jumped on this and ordered it early.

Because of other things happening, I haven't been able to listen to all seven CDs in the set. But if you are worried about the sound quality, don't be. For the time period we are talking about, 1935-1946, the sound is very good compared to some of the tracks available earlier. The transfers are by Andreas Meyer and Doug Pomeroy, and mastering by Andreas Meyer. Meyer has had some good feedback on this forum, from Leonard Bernstein's Mahler to Elvis to Bix Biederbecke.

As to the performances, if you are good with listening to big band, pop songs, and the inevitable novelties, then you are ready. (Nearly all big bands and pop singers were required to do some novelties.) That said, whenever Louis plays trumpet or sings, these tracks are important to me. I am a fan of Louis Armstrong and I am enjoying it.

A few of the tracks are part of Louis' jazz heritage. Here are some of the 1935-1946 Decca sides that have been included in various anthologies of "jazz" performances by Louis Armstrong.

Solitude 12/19/35
    Swing That Music 5/18/36
    Darling Nellie Gray 4/7/37
    Red Cap 7/2/37
    Alexander's Ragtime Band 7/7/37
    When The Saints Go Marching In 5/13/38
    Wolverine Blues 3/14/40
    Marie 4/11/40
    Blues 5/27/40
    Down In Honky Tonky Town 5/27/40
    I Wonder 1/14/45

13. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I finally picked this up. A wonderful set.

Mr. H likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.