Most appreciated Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells CD version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SergioRZ, May 10, 2008.

1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

And how does it sound?

2. JuhaS

JuhaS Senior Member

The current single cd version uses the new remixes. The original mix is currently available only on the box set.

3. thuleatan

thuleatan Forum Resident

Both the Ultimate Edition box set (3CD + 1DVD) and Deluxe Edition digipak (2CD + 1DVD) have a newer 2009 stereo remix, as well as the original 1973 stereo mix remastered by Paschal Byrne.

I'm not a fan of the new mix and don't listen to it much, but the remaster of the original mix is very nice - warm, subtle and sympathetic to all the original dynamics. It comes a close second to my (current) favourite CD mastering of Tubular Bells, the version included on the Elements box set.

4. KeithH

Thanks for the info. I don't have the Elements box set, but I may get the '09 deluxe edition. It's available for about $20 in the amazon.com Marketplace.

5. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

This probably won't contribute much to this thread, but, purely as a matter of interest, a few years back, a free CD of "Tubular Bells" was given away with one of our Sunday newspapers! I had a copy already (bought in the late eighties) and I was just about to give away the freebie, when I looked at the cover and it said "Remastered 2000".
    I couldn't believe the improvement in quality so the freebie is now my number one version!

6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That would be the DSD remastering by Simon Heyworth that's on the SACD stereo track (not the actual CD audio track of the same hybrid SACD, which uses the previous '98 remaster, to complicate things).

Good to know this DSD remastering has had a Redbook CD release.

7. fogalu

Do you mean this remastering was never released commercially? Amazing that it was wasted on a free CD (not that I'm complaining!).

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Well it was released on the SACD.

9. fogalu

Right - but what I meant was that it was never released for sale as a basic (Redbook) CD. Would it be superior to other Redbook CD versions of the album?

10. Silo

Silo New Member

I've never heard this album before but this thread has gotten me interested to hear it. If I'm not willing to pay over a hundred dollars for the SACD this is the one to get?

11. thuleatan

thuleatan Forum Resident

Yep, I would say the remaster on the Deluxe edition is a safe bet :righton:

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

But keep in mind it is not the original mix. :)

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I don't know as I haven't compared them. But it is a safe bet it would be pretty good.

14. thuleatan

thuleatan Forum Resident

This remaster is the original mix (disc 2 of the Deluxe). Disc 1 is the remix. The fact that the remix is all you get on the standalone 2009 disc (non-Deluxe) is what makes this more confusing, I think :laugh: We need a definitive list of what's what with TB.

Gardo likes this.
  15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Oh yeah, a list of all the editions of all the mixes would be helpful! :agree:

Gardo likes this.
  16. thuleatan

thuleatan Forum Resident

Ok, attached is my attempt at a rundown of which release has what. This does not cover the 'remake' album, Tubular Bells 2003. For the mastering variations in the early CDs, see the informative posts earlier in this thread :)

Attached Files:

• tb.txt
      File size:
      575 bytes
      Views:
    Gardo likes this.
  17. Magritte66

Magritte66 Forum Resident

Anyone as something to say about the japanese blue face VJD-23001 from 1989? Is this a reissue of a previous mastering?

18. ibis

ibis Happy as fish and gorgeous as geese

Some tests on 'Side 1':

1998 Heyworth Gold CD time 25:36:50

Number of Samples: 67767000
    -----------------------------------------------

Left Right

Peak value: -0.11 dB -0.11 dB
    Avg RMS: -16.70 dB -16.67 dB
    DR channel: 12.39 dB 12.54 dB

Official DR value: DR12
    ===============================================

Mail On Sunday CD Remastered 2000 time 25:36:47

Number of Samples: 67765236
    Left Right

Peak value: -0.86 dB -0.86 dB
    Avg RMS: -16.53 dB -16.45 dB
    DR channel: 11.50 dB 11.62 dB

Official DR value: DR12
    ===============================================

19. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

I will dig my copy out and give it a spin to compare it to the VDP Japan first press :)

20. KeithH

You never know with these things, but I would be surprised if the VDP mastering was used on later issues since the 32VD disc that came immediately after it was a new mastering.

Simon, I know you favor the VDP disc, and I finally got a copy about ten days ago. It is rare as hen's teeth. It arrived between vacation and a long business trip, so I haven't gotten a chance to listen to it yet. I will definitely get to it by the weekend. Have you compared it to the SACD? I've always liked the SACD.

21. darkmatter

Keith when I get the chance I will compare them, since I gather that the Mail on Sunday freebie disc has the DSD mastering, I will add that into the equation as well.

22. darkmatter

Keith,

I have carried out a brief comparison but I feel that this test; the regime was a little imprecise.

It was carried out on various machines the same SCD777ES was used to compare the VDP to the SACD and using other players Orelle 16bit I still prefer the VDP It just has a more involving sound, the SACD just sounds slow! the VDP has greater dynamics and range as well :)

To be conclusive; I felt that we were just comparing players in the test, and the SACD/CD performance of the Sony.

However I need to carry out some more detailed comparisons but this time in my system.

I have the Sunday Mail issue and will check the mastering but felt that disc sounded compressed. I will EAC it.

So I have not come to a firm conclusion yet :)

23. KeithH

Thanks for the comments. I still need to give the VDP disc a listen. Finally I'm home for a couple of weeks, so I should be able to get to it soon.

24. honzator

honzator Forum Resident

Hm interesting. As a big Oldfield fan I'm trying to find this 1st VDP-64 pressing on ebay but still with no luck. Is there anyone who could provide some 1 or 2 min samples from this pressing in lossless to know if it really worth to hunt down. Thanks for any help.

25. darkmatter

If we post samples or links to here, they must be restricted to 30 seconds max