Most disappointing follow up album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Mar 28, 2020.

1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

If it makes you Happy, I guess so.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not a song about a pedophile:

Art Lover by The Kinks - Songfacts

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  3. SKATTERBRANE

I do not consider Revolution 9 a SONG per se'. But I like it. I attribute no meaning or no intent to it. I don't care. But it moves me like a good Symphony does. It is not something I put on my road trip mix tape, sure. But I never skip it like I do so many McCartney songs when playing The White Album.

Man at C&A and bonzo59 like this.
  4. SKATTERBRANE

And critical acclaim or sales does not matter when one is expressing their opinion on this thread. Otherwise the thread would be "album that had poor sales after a blockbuster". Or "album that was not well received by the music press after album with almost universal accolades".

As for Neil Young, I like about 1/2 of his albums. I used to have them all (I was a completist most of my music buying life). He is WAY overrated as a guitarist for sure, although his style is interesting and appropriate from time to time. Some of his long stretched out single string (sometimes single NOTE) solos are more miss than hit. I suppose his whole career is a very good album followed by a big letdown. Sometimes it is three good ones followed by three letdowns. After awhile I just did not care anymore.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Lost In The Flood and veloso2 like this.
  5. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

LOL, I needed that.

6. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Coven - S/T (1971), Quite a jarring drop from their 1969 debut, Witchcraft Destroys Minds & Reaps Souls; in 2 short years they went from a literal satanic cult band to cabaret with that "One Tin Soldier" schlock. Didn't help that MGM had little tolerance for anything even remotely subversive at the time.

7. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

Lon & Derrek Van Eaton - Who Do You Out Do

8. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

Elvis Presley followed up "Elvis' Christmas Album"--an album that would ultimately sell seventeen million copies--with "King Creole", which stalled out at 500,000 copies.

And didn't include a single Christmas song!!!

ARK likes this.
  9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Like many Ray songs this has multiple layers. The song clearly operates in "creepy" territory while at the same time it is sad. Is the narrator a pedophile? Read the lyrics!

Love to hear your take on "Black Messiah"! :evil:

10. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I just think of it as a filler song on their weakest album of the 70s.

11. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I always loved the Illusion albums, there is some great stuff on there! Hardly disappointing at all!

Stormrider77 and DownInAHole like this.
  12. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

No Christmas songs? Sounds like a Christmas album right up my alley.

ARK and Dwight Fry like this.
  13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

:shake:"Misfits" is not The Kinks "weakest album of the 70's". :shake:

14. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

There’s some good songs on it but it is definitely the one that I listen to least. Like, it isn’t even close. And yes, I even dig Preservation more. Live Life and Rock n Roll Fantasy (and Father Christmas if you want to count the bonus track) are great. The rest is pretty forgettable. Just an opinion. ​

15. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

you wouldn’t have liked the Memphis show.

Total disaster only a few shows into the tour

16. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Sometimes these things can be jarring. We tend to live in our own little bubbles and can sometimes forget it's all down to personal taste. I'm always surprised when I read - and I read it a lot! - that Station to Station is one of Bowie's best albums. It's an album with some good songs, but has never really worked for me as an album, it doesn't gel. Still, based on what I read on SHF, it's one of his more popular albums.....

Dwight Fry and carlwm like this.
  17. bonzo59

bonzo59 Forum Resident

If this makes you happy...i'm happy too:pineapple:

schnitzerphilip and Jmac1979 like this.
  18. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I dont think it has been mentioned. But some would say Asia's second was a disappointment.

Not me, that is another I think is better than the first. The album is full of singles and not sure why more were not released from Alpha.

19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I don't think that Alpha is a better album than the debut I do regard it as excellent in its own right.

Midnight Sun, My Own Time and The Heat Goes On all had hit potential, I reckon.

bru87tr likes this.
  20. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

If you were fortunate to see the Roses live, Second Coming makes more sense. Especially on the OG vinyl, which is sonically massive.

21. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Preservation 1 has its share of vintage Kinks songs; Preservation 2 not so much.

Gratefully Deadicated and Zack like this.
  22. Oatsdad

I don't deny at all that the lyrics seem creepy - and I doubt Ray was oblivious to that as well.

But I believe Ray's claims of the song's message/intent, and I don't see anything in the lyrics that contradict this...

23. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

There were plenty to release as singles, but I guess the rec co gave up on it. Only two singles released ?

I also think Never in a Million Years, Eye to Eye, The Last To Know and Open your Eyes all sound like singles to me.

I love Midnight Sun.

carlwm likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

What happened that was a mess at that show? I know opening night in Vegas had a bunch of glitches.

BTW, the DC show ran glitch-free - as far as I call - but the huge video screen was messed up.

IIRC, the tour had been in NC a few days earlier, and a storm damaged the screen. This made parts of the images distorted and glitchy.

The funny thing is that because DC was the first show I saw on the tour, I thought it was supposed to be that way, like some commentary on consumerism or whatever! :laugh:

25. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Take it up with the Hoochie Coochie Man, or perhaps the Seventh Son.