Most expensive target ever potential, single disc overall?

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by Backdoorman73, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

It was three people, it takes more than one to get things going. :)

2. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Went for $1,331.51. o_O Plus $3.00 shipping of course. :)

The winning bidder bid 8 times, at least twice against himself, plus two other bids he retracted. And he has 10 bid retractions overall in his recent eBay bidding history. :crazy:

3. Backdoorman73

Backdoorman73 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, not the most expensive target then. I do believe the early bidding made it cheaper for buyer this time. Honestly I had expected a higher price but since ebay.com now blocks buyers from China and Russia we perhaps have to expect slightly lower averages.

4. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I thought Target cds stopped being produced in late 80's?
    It's shill bidding at it's worst.
    I lock myself in the Mental Hospital.
    Before I pay a thousand for a cd.

5. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I think I might stretch to $15 if they included shipping.

6. Backdoorman73

Sure, and Picasso didn't paint anything after 1973, what's your point?

Shill bidding? Really, what do you base that upon?

7. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

What's the highest the Led Zeppelin Untitled Japan red Target has gone?

8. Backdoorman73

More than 1500 but not sure by how much

9. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I can't find a recent completed auction at the Bay.

10. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Last time I looked, one sold for $300-and-something. But that was a while ago.

11. Backdoorman73

300, are you kidding me? You must be referring to another disc totally...

12. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

It was a red Zep IV target, but I can't say if it was the 19129-2 one or the 250 008 one.

13. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Excessive bid retractions. clear a as day without smog.

After 10 yrs on ebay I figure a bunch of mental patients run
    the place . Just because a factory mistake or variation
    doesn't mean you have fling crazy money at.
    I sure a member are two has that cd . And found it
    in used bin for cheap.

You gotta remember most kids don't want your stuff.
    and it will end at garage sale dumped at goodwill.

14. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

It could be shill bidding.

But I would say it's more likely that the winning bidder - who retracted two bids, and who is the only bidder who retracted a bid - is neurotic and has a lot of money.

In addition to the retracted bids, this bidder also appears to have made multiple bids searching for competing bidders' maximums. Once he exceeded their maximums, he kept bidding to increase his own maximum. That's not really consistent with shill bidding. It's more consistent with someone who can't wait until the end of an auction (usually the wisest time to bid), and who, upon getting the high bid, immediately starts to worry that his maximum might not be high enough.

I'm not saying I know for sure, and I'm not saying you're wrong about shill bidding. But your flip, dismissive tone of certainty is misplaced IMHO.

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Oh, please - you'd drop more than that for it, so don't pretend! :D

mdm08033 likes this.
  16. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Really, I think the most I ever paid for a vintage CD was a blackface Canadaian Pink Floyd The Wall which was $40. I'd still expect free shipping for that. But really what I want is a purple swirl and sun ray copes of Peter Gabriel 4 aka Security. Once again it would be for the pretty paint. I would frame the trio for visual enjoyment.

17. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

I wonder if you are willing to offer for your customers what you think are "fair" deals for you. How much would you want for a much more common (than the U2 disc we're discussing, that is) Fleetwood Mac Rumours target disc? Would $7 incl. shipping be a fair deal? :)

:wave:

18. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

How abbout $25? That's what I sold a West German Target for in the SHTV classified section. I looked at the going rate and it sold quickly. On the flip side I have turned around spent my profits in the classifieds so the wheel goes round....

Trust me, it's a strange feeling sitting on an uncommon ealy CD issue. I've got a few on the shelf that I'm not in love with. Ask Colin, he's taken a few off my hands in some even trades.

19. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Amoeba Records auctioned one on eBay about a year ago for $380 or so. They described the condition as Good.

In the Classifieds in August of this year, forum member Peter sold one for $230!

20. Oatsdad

And he wants the 2-track "WYWH" and the Japan Led Zep target, dammit!!! :D

mdm08033 likes this.
  21. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Buyer already left positive feedback - seems like the transaction was quick and smooth for both parties.

22. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

www.notgonnahappen.com

Dude, didn't I do the right thing by letting you know about the Redface Japan Queen Greatest Hits?

When are ya gonna stop by for a beer or espresso? I'm exit 30 of 295.

23. Oatsdad

And I'll never forget it! :D Though it's no longer in my possession - it got traded!

(Actually, I think the best part of your recommendation about the Queen CD was that it encouraged me to stop by on that drive and I found other stuff I really wanted.)

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I've never understood why, but a few of the early gold obi CD's I have in my collection contain rare variations. Off the top of my head, the red face Court & Spark, Carly Simon and Zep IV, and the grey face Remain in Light. I have also seen the cases with gold obis containing the more common targets (With Zep IV, I've seen gold obi cases containing the red face Japan-for-US target, the teal target and a silver face Japan-for-US disc). I've never heard an explanation for why this took place.

25. Backdoorman73

With gold OBI Zep IV you mean what catalogue number?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.