MOST OBSCURE AUDIOPHILE LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bigsweetc6, Apr 10, 2024.

1. Bigsweetc6

Bigsweetc6 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Now that ERC released Vashti Bunyan, what’s a relatively obscure yet realistic LP you’d like to see an audiophile label reissue. For me I think the debut Judee Sill LP would be a great candidate for an Analogue Production or MoFi but I don’t see either label taking it on. Also if Van Halen can be audiophile how about Iron Maiden “The Number of the Beast” on MoFi. My last one and it’s so obvious would be a New Order or Joy Division AP or MoFi. Obviously I’m not going super obscure because I’m trying to think of some what realistic titles. Any recommendations from you guys.

2. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Intervention Records has pressed the Judee Sill LP, they are about as audiophile as you can hope for.

Judee Sill 180G LP (SHIPPING NOW!)

sharedon and hi_watt like this.
  3. hoytis

hoytis PDX Cratedigger

Man, there are so many I'd love to see as an audiophile-grade reissue...a few come to mind...

Horace Parlan, Us Three
    Luiz Bonfá, Jacaranda
    Bobby Hutcherson, Inner Glow
    Chris Whitley, Rocket House
    Isao Suzuki, Duke Jordan, Scotch Blues / Isao Suzuki Meets Duke Jordan
    Jack Wilkins, Windows

4. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

Great Canadian progressive band, FM, recorded a very good album "Direct to Disk" (also released as "Head Room", with different takes on the tracks).

As the album title says, this was recorded direct to disk, live in the studio. No tape, no overdubs, very little compression, and with a real sense of actual musicians playing in an acoustic space, which comes across clearly on the recording. Very little studio tricks to mask the real presence of the musicians.

Musically, it is pretty unadulterated prog. Probably more progressive than the rest of their catalog. Some pretty great musicianship, and energy on this.

[​IMG]

I have a pretty high bar for what I consider an audiophile release. And the vast majority of mainstream, studio recorded releases, don't make it.

I am not saying they can't sound great, many do. And the vast majority of my collection on CD and vinyl are made up of such recordings.

But to cross over into being an audiophile level recording, for me, takes a lot more than reissues getting the best possible treatment. There has to be that real sense of the original acoustic space the musicians were in when the recording was made, with a wide, deep, layered soundstage, with the musicians having a really palpable presence within that soundstage. As if I can get up out of my listening chair, and walk into the soundstage, and among the musicians.

Chemguy likes this.
  5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Alive on Arrival, Steve Forbert.

6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

During its first batch of Original Masters LPs in the late 70s, Mobile Fidelity included Steeleye Span's All Around My Hat.(though the UK Chrysalis pressing was so good it wasn't necessary). Would love to see more Fairport, Steeleye and related.

NapalmBrain likes this.
  7. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The band Rough Trade beat them to the punch by a year:

8. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Wonderful record, I had an original gifted to me cause they knew I liked british folk and then I stumbled on the MFSL at Reckless Records on a trip to Chicago for $5 and couldn't pass it up. Definitely my go to, but I have not heard a UK