Most recent and least recent cases of extended TV versions

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vahan, Jan 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm always fascinated by extended cuts of movies, including extra scenes for TV versions. What is the most recent and least recent known cases of this subject?

The most recent I can think of is Unbreakable (2000). Don't know what the least recent would be.

2. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

I the early 60s Roger Corman sold 4 movies, including Creature From The Haunted Sea and The Wasp Woman that were barely over an hour and needed additional footage to fill a 90 minute slot. Monte Hellman and Jack Hill got their earliest assignments. Back in the day it was inexplicable and hilarious that Wasp Woman opened with 10 minutes of the octogenarian entomologist walking around and muttering to himself.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I haven't seen that one yet!

4. Vahan

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Then there's The Godfather Saga, aired over three consecutive nights on ABC.

Scenes restored, and of course, re-sequenced.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Das Boot, something like 150-minutes in the theatrical version, was also turned into six hours of television mini-series.

8. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I remember some scenes in the TV version of Caddyshack that were not in the theatrical release. Though they didn't add much I was annoyed the DVD didn't include them, not even as a separate deleted scenes section.

9. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Fast Times At Ridgemont High
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

10. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

The TV broadcast of the 1976 film “Midway “ added some 45 minutes, including the Battle of Coral Sea and Susan Sullivan as a new character to get a romance angle /female viewers so NBC could show it over two nights.

11. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

By least recent, I think you mean earliest known example of a theatrical film having additional scenes for television broadcast. The earliest example that I know is the 1976 suspense film Two Minute Warning, starring Charlton Heston. Because of the film’s graphic violence (by the standards of 1976), several scenes were dropped and new scenes were shot just for the television edit.

The changes are so significant that the plot is somewhat different, and several characters appear only in the television edit (other characters do not appear in the new scenes, as the actors were not available for reshoots).

John Carpenter’s Halloween is another early example, for the same reason (violence). Carpenter shot two new scenes during the production of Halloween II specifically for the television edit of the original, to replace scenes (or shots) cut because of violent content. Halloween II’s television edit also had unique scenes (cut from the theatrical edit, in this case).

12. Vahan

While some films had TV version scenes that were shot sometime later, others, however, had such scenes that were part of the original filming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.