Most Ridiculous Review Quotes

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fruff76, Feb 11, 2019.

1. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I really hate how this term, along with “giant killer” is used, primarily because it’s rarely quantified. Punches above its weight? Okay then, what is it better than? What did it punch above for god’s sake? Same with giant killer. What giants did it kill? If you can’t tell us what products it is better than, then stop using those terms in reviews.

2. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

If you think hifi reviews are absurd, then read wine reviews. I honestly think a lot of wine reviewers are trolling people, just to see how far they can go.

kyouki, Djoek, Aftermath and 3 others like this.
  3. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

This one is pretty galling:

"I don't hesitate to recommend that it be auditioned by anyone with $17,000 to spare, and whose system suffers from bright or harsh sound"

Aqua Acoustic Quality Aqua Formula xHD D/A processor Page 2

To make it worse, Herb at least cautions readers before buying that $17k magic pill:

"I don't regard it as a pleasure machine, nor do I see it as a cure for systems that sound too bright. In my system, the Formula xHD was simply too opaque for a perfectionist DAC of any price."

If Jason Sernius offers to help you with your system, it might be cheaper for you just to move to a new house.

4. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

I think there was a recent Stereophile review of some low-end Wharfedale Diamond speakers that seriously compared them to some ridiculous hi-zoot $216,000 ones.

Don't ask me why. I think the reviewer must've been high at the time. o_O
    .[/colo

Monty12, patient_ot and Fruff76 like this.
  5. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President Thread Starter

Unbelievable

Monty12 likes this.
  6. Helom

Helom Forum member

Just can't let that one go eh?

7. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

My friends are still laughing about a Dutch wine review we once read. It claimed that if you drank the wine in question, cheerful lemons would appear in your living room and they would proceed to ornament the room with serpentines and garlands.

The writer might have been a little sarcastic, I don't know. Or drunk.

8. Cyclone Ranger

Gullible, easily-influenced people, perhaps?

There's a never-ending supply.

Kyhl likes this.
  9. Cyclone Ranger

That's a rare example of actual good reviewer hyperbole. :laugh:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  10. Cyclone Ranger

I'm just waiting for this one...

"Yes, the AudioMasterBlaster power amp DID explode in my face, setting over 80 percent of my body on fire and causing major second- and third-degree burns. HOWEVER, it must be said that I noticed as I ran screaming for the house fire extinguisher that it did so in such a EUPHONIC and NATURAL way that I really couldn't hold it against the equipment, which I am sure misbehaved due to some kind of set-up error by moi or perhaps an unexpected phase of the moon. An exciting, devil-may-care STEAL at $39,000, as the music truly comes ALIVE when you're worried about your own personal safety. Class A, Recommended." :righton:

kyouki, Snargfarg, Rob_1968 and 16 others like this.
  11. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I wish I still had access to it, but at an old job where we dealt with 1000's of album one sheets, we collected quotes from Black Metal albums.

patient_ot and Fruff76 like this.
  12. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

It's the hill (hul?) I'll fall on!

Agitater likes this.
  13. There may be some truth in it, the magnetic fields around the mains transformers, particularly toroids (The round ones) may interfere with each other.
    Amplifiers in PA rack systems are normally perfectly vertical over each other.
    Try playing with a cheap compass around a working amplifier or a magnetised 4 inch nail hanging balanced on a thread and you can see where the magnetic fields are strongest.

jfeldt and 33na3rd like this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Which magazine or website do you work for? ;)

JohnCarter17, Jrr, Kyhl and 2 others like this.
  15. Fruff76

you can find it in almost every review.

“For the first couple of days of listening to the Manhattan II, after replacing the Brooklyn in my desktop system, I did not think it offered much sonic advantage, but then, after the unit had warmed up completely, I began to hear subtle but pervasive improvements in low-level decipherability and greater dynamic energy. Burn-in? Maybe.”

Psychosis? Maybe.

Mytek Digital Manhattan 11 DAC
    $5995 (without options)

Jan 19 - The Absolute Sound

If I had to guess, his initial suspicion was probably correct.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    kyouki, punkmusick and MichaelXX2 like this.
  16. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Just read through the Music Direct catalog. They do a good job of pulling out the best quotes and adding their own absurdities. I am particularly fond of their quotes used to advertise speaker wire elevators.

Fruff76 likes this.
  17. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

Srajan (6Moons) is among my favorite uber-verbose reviewers. I honestly find him quite entertaining but sometimes he simply outdoes himself. Check out the 5th paragraph down ("With its transconductance amp of mega bandwidth ...") from a copper cable review:

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/blackcat2/3/

Priceless.

BrokenByAudio, Jim N. and heathen like this.
  18. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

While I get what they're talking about, I still wonder about reviews where the primary benefit is said to be 'air and transparency'.

19. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Here's the thing, though. Look at the PS Audio pictures of the M700s and they're stacked. At RMAF, PS Audio had the M700s they were using stacked. I even asked McGowan if it made a difference whether they were stacked or not, and he said it doesn't.

jboersma likes this.
  20. No magazine or website, just years of sticking my fingers into live amplifiers and flashing screwdrivers over big power supply capacitors.

macster likes this.
  21. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Does it come with t and/or a?

Monty12 and Fruff76 like this.
  22. Fruff76

This is just pure nonsense. It’s only value is comic relief.

23. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

That reads like someone fed a bunch of other crappy reviews into a mediocre AI, and then asked the AI to write a review of its own.

24. Fruff76

Haha, true

25. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Aren’t all reviews (other than very matter-of-fact Consumers Reports reviews), to some extent, an editorial on the part of the writer, and a leap of faith for the reader?

All you need to know about listening is bending the top of your ear slightly with your finger. Notice how highs appear and diminish as you move it? That is what you are dealing with - one person hears lots of highs, another does not - just by how their cartilage grew. Forget about age, hearing, etc...it all goes downhill from there.

That’s why I like writers that try to frame their respective views against good references. I can then take their views of what they are hearing and (with any luck) apply them against my setup.

Gumboo and 33na3rd like this.