Most trashed records (by genre)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LitHum05, Sep 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

My friend gave me a bunch of records from a family members estate and they were all junk, except for stone mint copies of introducing the Beatles and Meet the Beatles. I researched them and they don’t seem to be worth much.

hi_watt and Michael like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it's all according to what pressing, stereo or mono?...label variations, etc. there's a few good places on the net to look up the exact pressing you have of ITB...there were many bootleg pirate copies of that album...

3. Yoss

Yoss Active Member

Ditto on metal. I do some thrift digging and the vast majority of metal that I've encountered has been in abysmal shape. Somebody still buys them too because they're always gone later on - even the batch that looked like they'd been dragged down a gravel road behind a truck, then removed from their jackets and dragged some more before being safely stored in a moldy basement for 3 decades. They can't possibly be for display and there's no way they sound like anything but a raging bonfire when played, but by God... somebody still wants them.

And as an aside, I'll nominate Herb Alpert albums as the most likely to have a return address mailing sticker pasted to the inner label.

nosliw likes this.
  4. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

They’re both mono pressings and given the age of all the other albums, I’d say they’re original. They look unplayed.

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

a Mono MTB is a fold down of the Stereo...good for the cover, but in great shape might have good value...like I said there are ways to tell if ITB is a boot...George's shadow is strong..
    https://www.archer2000.com/chronicles/Counterfeits/Introducing.html

Fruff76 likes this.
  6. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I agree that it's kind of hard to find used 80s metal albums that aren't trashed. I feel like I've also seen a fair amount of trashed 80s goth records.

hi_watt and nosliw like this.
  7. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

Funk. With the exception of DC go-go records for some reason. On the rare occasion I’ve found a go-go record, it’s usually in pretty nice condition. Funkadelic records? WAR records? Forget it.

Not a genre per se, but anything in the ‘60s-‘70s that was largely bought by teenagers. More often than not if I see decent copies of Kiss, Monkees, or Alice Cooper records, they’re ‘80s pressings. Or imports.

hi_watt likes this.
  8. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I thought this thread was going to reference Rolling Stone's long-standing love affair with progressive rock.

Dan

9. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura Thread Starter

Alice Cooper for sure. Trashed every time.

10. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Used Jazz albums. :shrug:

dennis1077 likes this.
  11. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

1950's rock and roll "party" records such as Here's Little Richard are usually toast from what I've seen. Being pressed on styrene doesn't help.

12. WisFish

WisFish Dig Them Grooves

Early Rock-n-Roll albums are usually rough, all the nice ones are locked in lifetime collections. As for hard rock and metal, there was plenty of decent copies to be had before vinyl got popular. Collectors like me snatched them up back then.

hi_watt likes this.
  13. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

I don't think I've ever seen any Reggae from the 60's but I got a huge score of 70's stuff from a DJ collection at a local church thrift a couple years back. This is part of it, but there were probably 100 records in a couple of milk crates. All in nice condition.
    I asked the lady how much they wanted and she says "$10".
    I say, "each?"
    She goes, "No, for all of them..."
    "What about the crates?" I say..
    "Keep the crates"

I was a haappy boy that day...
    For example...
    [​IMG]

14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

What's the Studio One 12" top left under the Pablo?

hi_watt and Spin Doctor like this.
  15. Spin Doctor

Man, you have a good eye. That's Sugar Minott - Love & Understanding on side A. Side B is, If I were a Carpenter - Ernest Wilson I can't say I'm all that knowledgeable about these, but I remember some of the artists from back in the day. They are all 45 RPM discs. It's generally pretty good stuff. Not much filer, if any.

[​IMG]

hi_watt and Dubmart like this.
  16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It takes years of experience:) that's a nice 12", decent money these days as well, looks like you got very lucky and picked up a great selection of music, you don't see that sort of collection very often any more.:righton:

17. Funkadelic albums are always trashed if you can find them

MadMelMon and Spin Doctor like this.
  18. Spin Doctor

I could tell by your moniker that you might know a a little about it ;). I know quite a bit about jazz records but as far as reggae goes I don't know who's popular. As an example could you tell me what that Studio One record might be worth?

19. JohnQVD

With hard rock and metal, it’s the same thing as punk, post-punk, and similar records from the ‘70s and ‘80s, which is that they were pressed in limited numbers.

hi_watt and nosliw like this.
  20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Jackie Evancho, Susan Boyle and Andy Williams' Christmas LP's...a common victim of the Crosley player some grandma's family bought her for her birthday back in 2008...:mudscrying:
    (bonus points for a similarly-tortured Slim Whitman disc on Ronco in the same collection...)

21. Spin Doctor

I haven't seen any Funkadelic records in the wild lately. I got mine long ago. But I have some kind of Funkadelic bootleg that I got from Tower records when they were going out of business years ago, that I have no idea what it is.

22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

:wave: I can personally take responsibility for a number of Little Golden Records played backwards by-hand on my original Silvertone back in 1961...
    [​IMG]
    (image is as close as I could find...)

hi_watt and Hooperfan like this.
  23. JohnQVD

I bought a VG copy of Funkadelic’s Uncle Jam Wants You about 12 years ago for $10. Every other one I’ve ever seen in the wild was either trashed or $75 because it wasn’t. Same for Parliament, except those are usually more like $50-60.

24. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Assuming it's condition is as nice as it looks in the photo I'd say $80-$100, any period Studio One 12" is money and some are a lot more than that.

25. Spin Doctor

Hmmm... Thanks for that info.

hi_watt and Dubmart like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.