Most UNIQUE Movie You've Seen?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MortSahlFan, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Oh I LOVE The Sterile Cuckoo!!!!
    :righton:

Veronica Mars likes this.
  2. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

You neglected to mention the most interesting aspect of this movie: the filmmakers were wholly inexperienced and untrained regarding how to handle dangerous wild animals. As a result, at least half the cast and crew were injured at some point during filming due to animal attacks, accidents, etc.
    Roar (film) - Wikipedia

3. Repo! The Genetic Opera

4. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't see an option to send you a PM, and your e-mail address has been removed by a moderator.

5. The obvious Pulp Fiction and Mulholland Drive, and I'll nominate The Big Sleep, unique in that I like it although I have no idea what it's about. Apparently, the people filming it didn't really know what it was about, either, but I still find it thoroughly enjoyable.

64FALCON, hi_watt and Karnak like this.
  6. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Hope & Glory by John Boorman... reminds me a lot of Kenneth Graham's idyllic The Golden Age and Dream Days except instead of being set in Victorian England it's war-torn London during The Blitz... no anti-war cliches to be found, rather the kids revel in their school being bombed with euphoric shouts of "Thank you, Uncle Adolf!" and run rampant in the ruins of the city in a far more realistic manner than Clockwork Orange...

unclefred likes this.
  7. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

If this question were asked in the early 90's, I think a lot of people would say

[​IMG]

Dissidence and hi_watt like this.
  8. Scott Strobel

Scott Strobel Forum Resident

Bubba Ho-tep for me! Never could have imagined a plot twist like that happening. Truly unique fictional bio, drama, comedy, sci-fi and horror genre's all mixed in to one movie.

9. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

Not the most, but Man Bites Dog.

10. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Synecdoche, New York

I saw this film once, and as much as I didn't completely understand it, I thought it was a brilliant (and definitely unique) film. I keep meaning to re-watch it, but to be honest, the first time I saw it I was completely drained and depressed after seeing it.

11. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I think, The Straight Story - kind of a David Lynch endorsed vehicle from 1999. Richard Farnsworth, Sissy Spacek, and the true story of a man, Alvin Straight, who travels by a John Deere mini-lawnmower from Laurens, Iowa, to visit his estranged, ill brother (played by the late Harry Dean Stanton)in Wisconsin.

I was intrigued by this film from the off - the fact that it was a David Lynch film that was I think the only U certificate he's ever produced, plus the title of the film, which ends up being exactly what it is - a straight story about a guy named Straight, who lives up to his name.

The cinematography is stunning, the kind of America you want to visit that's outwith all the touristy bits. His mates are a total hoot in the bar and at the local hardware store, but really, this is the most exquisite of road movies, at the most pedestrian pace. It's also my favourite film and I watch it a couple of times a year.

12. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I think that Back To The Future 2 is a very uniquely odd movie. It's built on top of the first film and many scenes are intertwined with scenes from the first film. Time travel makes all this viable.

64FALCON, BrentB and Dissidence like this.
  13. MortSahlFan

I like "The Straight Story", but I think it was VERY influenced by "Harry and Tonto" (which probably was influenced a bit by "Umberto D")
    I tried watching this one once, turned it off while they were in the car.

hi_watt likes this.
  14. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

15. TWCPAEB Lover

TWCPAEB Lover New Member

Ah, I see. Thanks for getting back to me. Looks like I can send messages now, but this site isn't letting me send a message to you. Mind trying again? Is there any way to get in contact other than through PM?

16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Youth with Michael Caine and Harvey Keitel.

Some really unusual and beautiful sequences

17. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

Gus Van Sant's Gerry -- Matt Damon and Casey Affleck get lost and wander wordlessly in the desert. The sunrise scene is long, weird and hypnotic:

18. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Rainer Werner Fassbinder's "Chinese Roulette" for me. A masterful dissection of a disfunctional marriage, stressed by the breathtaking cinematography by the great Michael Ballhaus.

93curr likes this.
  19. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Dogtooth

MortSahlFan likes this.
  20. Sky Dawg

Sky Dawg Forum Resident

What about Santa Sangre?

21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Not as....'out there'...to me, at least.

22. TheNightfly1982

TheNightfly1982 Forum Resident

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Napoleon Dynamite.

23. MortSahlFan

Did you ever see "The Castle of Purity"? It's a Spanish movie from the early 70s, with similarities. "Dogtooth" is more unique, or rather, more vulgar, but I think the latter is the best movie.

24. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Grootna and Claus LH like this.
  25. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

One of my favourites is "Lone Star."
    So many different relationship stories plus a murder mystery.
    I probably watch it a couple of times a year.