MoviePass Drops to $9.95 a Month For a Movie a Day

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 15, 2017.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Because it’s running time it won’t fit as many screens as they would have liked. Still Avengers: Endgame looks to be the biggest movie box office taker of all time.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

How amusing! Just yesterday I received their response to my credit card dispute:
    [​IMG]
    I don't think shuttering their US operations is going to help their case.
    :bdance:

RayS likes this.
  3. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Well, it’s taking up almost all the screen time at the 3 AMC theaters near me. One of the theaters even has showings starting at 2:00, 2:15, and 2:30 AM. It kind of pushed out most other offerings. For someone like me who has no interest in this film, this is a dud weekend for me to go to the theater. It’s been pretty slim pickings at AMC in general here recently. I haven’t been to the theater since March 30, and that’s very unusual for me.

alexpop likes this.
  4. alexpop

You should be alright in June, don’t think Dark Phoenix is going to do the same business.

5. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I happened to see a story (can't link:() about a drive-in in Las Vegas that is showing it from dusk to Dawn, continuously...which did make me think " I guess they're not showing a double feature, as I believe drive-ins traditionally do ":cry:?
    AAMOF, do the remaining drive-ins ever get movies the first week? Well, duuhh, THIS one did:)! I've been to (having tended to live in not very drive-in friendly areas all of my life) been to a " drive-in dhow ", for all my moviegoing, less than a hand's number of fingers in my life...and all of them with family, so no Beach Boys/B-side of " You're The One That I Want " " hubba hubba " action:mad:...........

6. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Most definitely!

I'll wait until the excitement dies down.

WLL likes this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I just saw it.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. mrjinks

HA!
    Just got the final word on my credit card dispute with Sinemia - they LOSE, I WIN!
    :bdance::bdance::bdance:

Jrr, gojikranz, RayS and 2 others like this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

[​IMG]

Jrr and mrjinks like this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

AMC has got some 800,000 members on A*List now.

11. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Two words: Concession stand

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

13. alexpop

9.95 is a great deal. Ideal if you live in a small abode and want a big screen+ it gets you out.

How many movies can you watch for 9.95, unlimited?

14. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

15. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Anyone here actually still using MoviePass? I received an email about a $15/month plan but didn't look into the details. Last time I thought about trying them again I lost interest when I found out they could not reactivate my card and I would have to wait for a new one. (That took 3 months the first time.)

16. mrjinks

Thanks for posting that, as Regal is the big one locally for me (although Cinemark just bought out one of our theaters). I might be tempted at $18/mo., but doubt I would at $24. I know there are plenty of good films out there, but this year has been the absolute worst for me - hardly anything looks appealing. If I look at what's playing currently at the 21-plex near me I get this:

Aladdin - no interest
    Annabelle Comes Home - no interest
    Avengers: Endgame - no interest
    Child's Play - no interest
    Dark Phoenix - no interest
    Godzilla: King of the Monsters - very little interest
    John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum - no interest
    Men in Black: International - no interest
    Midsommar - not really into horror, but the reviews are good...
    Rocketman - saw it, cuz I'm an Elton fan (though I typically don't care for musicals)
    Spider-Man: Far From Home - no interest
    The Dead Don't Die - no interest
    The Other Side of Heaven 2: Fire of Faith - no interest
    The Secret Life of Pets 2 - no interest
    Toy Story 4 - some interest, cuz I've seen the others, and thought they were good.
    Yesterday - some interest, cuz I'm a Beatles fan
    So, out of 16 films, I can immediately rule out about 12. The Elton/Beatle pics are things I'd normally ignore (musicals/rom-coms), but they're exceptions. None of the others really grab me much, either. Sadly, it's been like this almost all this year for me at the multiplex. The only interesting films to me have been the ones at the Indie theater in town. Chances are, they will continue to show more films that interest me, while the plex will stick with stuff that, at best, is only moderately intriguing.

Frustrating. I wish MPass would have been more sustainable.

brownie61 and alexpop like this.
  17. alexpop

Maybe better films being made. Too much kiddie fodder. Spoilt growing up in the seventies I guess.

mrjinks likes this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

I've seen a lot of the films you have no interest in, so it is a better deal for me. It's officially summer, so of course the theaters are going to be heavily loaded with action films. Mine still has a few non-action films like Late Night, Wild Rose, a revival of Do The Right Thing and The Last Black Man in San Francisco which I saw yesterday (and of course Yesterday.)

19. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...I thought you were in Chicago! The seemingly rather " indie "-ish Last Black Man (whose director is white) I'd at an AMC here in San Francisco, but obviously, that's special...

20. Chris DeVoe

I saw it at the AMC River East in Chicago. It's kind of funny but it's actually increased the number of showings per day.

21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

22. What a shock, MoviePass is suspending its app for an ‘enhancement’ which just happens to coincide with one of the busiest theater holiday weekends:

MoviePass is going dark on July 4

mrjinks likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

We need to find out if this unlimited is unlimited like a buffet or unlimited like a cell phone company.

24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Lots of asterisks...a total joke. Can’t imagine they got a single person to come back with that offer. At least they are being transparent now. You know up front you’ll be screwed over:D

mrjinks and Oatsdad like this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I won't. AMC and Regal are essentially co-equal in the DC market, and I was a big Regal guy for years. I made the move to AMC when A-List came along and unless the Regal plan were to be obviously superior, I'm staying AMC.

I've been 100% happy with A-List and see no reason to change. It's worked flawlessly and I don't need more than 12 movies "free" a month - usually.

Actually, I could've used more than 3/week this week. I was out of town and saw my 3 by Monday. Friends want to go today but I've used my 3 and refuse to actually PAY for a ticket! :D

But that's rare. I rarely use my 3/week, so a formally unlimited plan isn't very meaningful.

If Regal's plan had come out at the same time as AMC's, I probably would've chosen it - even though I don't tend to use my 3/week at AMC, unlimited is still better, and Regal is just as good/accessible for me as AMC.

But AMC has been a flawless experience and I'm not gonna bail on it. I don't need 2 plans so AMC I'll remain!

SandAndGlass and brownie61 like this.