MoviePass Drops to $9.95 a Month For a Movie a Day

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My wife got an email from MoviePass, announcing that they're going to be launching in three cities - Chicago, Kansas City and Dallas. The first two are are former home and current home, so they obviously went by where the greatest usage of MoviePass was, which is wherever my wife was.

[​IMG]

2. Chris DeVoe

From a second email they sent her:

CONGRATULATIONS, KANSAS CITY!

The Kansas City area is one of the first markets in which we’ll be testing the new MoviePassBETA.

Here’s how the new MoviePassBETA will work:

In the coming weeks, we’ll send out exclusive access codes to create your account and sign up for your desired plan. To ensure we are able to meet demand, a limited number of access codes to the MoviePassBETA will be sent at a time. When you receive your code is based on your place in the waitlist.

Once you’ve received your access code, you’ll be able to sign up for one of these plans:

Basic - $10 (1 - 3 movies per month based on peak or off-peak times)

Standard - $20 (2 - 4 movies per month based on peak or off-peak times)

Pro - $30 (3 - 5 movies per month based on peak or off-peak times)

*Prices and credits per tier may vary per market. This is a beta launch so prices and levels are subject to change based on customer and market feedback.

Each tier provides you with credits that you’re able to use at any movie theater that accepts credit cards. The cost of each film varies based on demand and time of the week.

Start going to the movies the same day at supported e-ticketing theaters. Once you get your MoviePass card in the mail, activate it in the app, and go to any theater that accepts credit cards!

It’s our goal to use this beta period to work out the kinks and provide extraordinary service. That’s why we look forward to your feedback as you use the new MoviePass BETA.
    Without AMC, Cinemark and Regal there's not a whole lot of theaters available. But on the other hand, if this works with the smaller chains like B&B and independence like Screenland it might be worth it to us.

brownie61 likes this.
  3. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I got the same email, even though I am not in one of those areas. I am actually happy that others will get to do this first, so I can see how it goes. I'm not sure how they're going to make this worthwhile, based on the second email you posted. But I am definitely curious as to how it plays out.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

The current plan looks like it is sustainable, I just don't know if it's going to be compelling enough for great masses of customers.

Vickie had it and loved it when it was $49.95 a month.

5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The MoviePass app is now available on the App Store.

6. Chris DeVoe

It is also in the Google Play Store.

But I'm not going to be the first one to install it.

Shawn and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Work out the kinks? How laughable. They had every kink you could have prior. If they need more experience, they will never get it. Anyone, well I hate to use the phrase “dumb enough” so take it as a figure of speak, not literally, to sign up for this should have them on a very, very short leash. I’m only interested in watching this in a train wreck sort of way. It’s very different now. I credit them for showing the chains that there was a market for this. The problem is, aren’t they chains serving that market now? I’m wondering why anyone would sign up for this now? I’m sure Chris will set me starlight on this!!

In our large market, there are no little theaters left except for one downtown, and I don’t even average one movie a year there. I like the “out” they have, but at least they tell you: could be limited during peak periods. With their old program, in my experience it was always peak…lol. I am stunned they got investment money to do this.

8. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I've decided to give AMC A-List a try. They currently have an offer where you pay $.29 for the first month as long as you commit to three months. I'm doing it because I saw two movies at AMC within the past two or three weeks (Love Lies Bleeding and Immaculate), and there are still five others that interest me to one degree or another:

Monkey Man
    Late Night with the Devil
    The First Omen
    Civil War
    Arcadian

The last two open this Friday. So, we'll see how it goes. I expect there'll be some weeks when nothing interests me, but as long as I average 3-4 movies a month I'm getting my money's worth.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. Monosterio

I said $.29 above but it's actually $.99 for the first month.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

I've been using A-List for a bit. Some months I get my money's worth and then some (like when I saw GODZILLA MINUS ONE six times haha).

Chris DeVoe and Monosterio like this.
  11. Monosterio

I figure just with horror movies alone, I should be good for a few more weeks. Today I'll be seeing Late Night with the Devil (which goes to night showings only on Friday) and The First Omen.

Walt likes this.