Movies that haven't been released on dvd/blu ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Jan 14, 2021.

1. GregM

GregM The expanding man

One of my favorites, Round Midnight, was on DVD but never on blu-ray. Given the wonderful music performances, it could have really benefitted from the higher resolution treatment. Would be ecstatic if it could go straight to 4K. Someone needs to dust this off the shelf and do it justice.

Mark E. Moon and PH416156 like this.
  2. It looks pretty decent. It's a no frills release for sure but the production design demands higher resolution along with the dark photography. Still, it's not a classic Mann film (IMHO) but, flaws and all, it's still a fun watch. It's rather bizarre though as it's clear that the narrative is rather fractured due to quite a bit of re-edits.

The inconsistency of that film is due purely to bone headed re-edits that Paramount did when they paniced after the two hour version didn't play well. As I recall, they never even considered previews of the 210 minute version. I'd love Criterion to take a crack at this.

I wonder if Paramount hasthe 210 minute version somewhere in their vault or, at the very least, the 120 minute version.

3. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

I bought the DVD primarily because I wanted a half decent copy of the film (and that's exactly what I got, it's really not any better than a clean VHS in some spots). The music is great and some sequences are really fantastic like when the soldiers find the silver cross. From what I understand, the extended cut(s) may not exist anymore but even if it did, the fact that their special effects expert died mid-film means that (unless they want to tinker with it now) the SE near the end will be underwhelming. All this plus the fact that Michael Mann refuses to even talk about this film means a revisit on a grander scale is unlikely at best. However the alternate ending does exist and can be seen on YouTube.

4. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

'man bites dog' needs a blu-ray. i remember seeing it at the toronto film fest w cast / director ... i have the criterion dvd

i just had a wtf moment ....

it's actually on YT ... AND it looks good too (certainly better than my dvd) ... like from an HD xfer. it was shot in 16mm and blown up to 35 for cinemas

not for the squeamish ..... dark. comedy. serial killer. mockumentary

it got an NC17 rating in the US

Man Bites Dog (film) - Wikipedia

Man Bites Dog
    [​IMG]

5. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

This is because it's readily available on blu ray over here in middle europe. Puzzling why it wasn't released on that format in the US, though.

hi_watt likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

4 with JoHn Candy! ;)

7. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Outrage, from 1950.
    [​IMG]

Steve Litos likes this.
  8. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

A lot of TV movies were great & should be on DVD & Blu-Ray. I always liked "Young Love, First Love" with Valerie Bertinelli for example.

9. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

To Find A Man with Pamela Sue Martin, Lloyd Bridges, Tom Ewell, Tom Bosley.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

80 Steps To Jonah
    Killers Three...

been waiting for many years for these 2 to show up somewhere...

11. Michael

Indeed! I would love to see the TV Movie The Two Worlds Of Jennie Logan...great movie...

BILLONEEG likes this.
  12. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I remember that movie & I agree. It was great!

How about those "reunion" type movies? All of the "Gilligan's Island" movies should've been included with the complete series box for example.

DRJOEL65 and Michael like this.
  13. Michael

all of them! and the 2 Beach Boys TV movies..Bud & Lou! TV Movie...3 Stooges TV Movie...and on and on!

14. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

This one I don't get. There has to be some huge rights issue because it is such an important film, plus one of the few directed by the great Ida Lupino.

For 10 years I exclusively sold rare VHS that had not been released on DVD. I assume 15 years later many of those still haven't:

Hawks (with Timothy Dalton)
    Wavelength
    Mack the Knife (with Raul Julia)
    Paperhouse (at least here in the US on a lone DVD)
    One Night Stand (1984 - same as above)

The latter 2 are top 100 favorite films of mine. Bluray????!!! I just want them on an NTSC non-pan and scan image.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  15. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Maureen O'Hara?

16. Michael

yes...

Jamey K likes this.
  17. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

Uncle Meat

paulisdead likes this.
  18. Michael

Nothing But Trouble...no Blu-Ray and has there ever been a widescreen anamorphic DVD release? My DVD is in Pan & Scan.
    [​IMG]

StillFlying likes this.
  19. Jimmy B.

Thank you - pardon my late response, I'd been away from this thread, and hadn't seen your reply.
    I relate to your frustration with your favorites.
    I feel Outrage is a great and very important film, and yes, why is it not part of the Ida Lupino Filmmaker Collection on Blu-ray, let alone any single DVD?
    I feel it's better than The Hitchhiker, by far.
    Certainly vastly more important and very moving.
    Only one movie to my knowledge pre-dated this on the subject of rape, which was Johnny Belinda, and this was a big step further than that in showing the incredible trauma it can cause.

I'm sorry to say I haven't heard of your titles - especially as you are the sole person on the thread here who knows of Outrage - I was scrolling down and assumed no one did.
    I assume with many obscure movies that if they were only released back in the day on DVD, they would not be obscure!
    (I was told by someone to watch a movie called When I Grow Up, on you tube, that it was supposed to be beautiful - no DVD release, nothing - but though I did that before for others, I found this was barely audible, too hard to make it all out, besides terrible picture of course)
    I was just going to add no U.S. release of Whistle Down The Wind to the thread. (Why only the U.K.? Why? It's a very good film, hard to make the assessment on a viewing of it on you tube - despite decent picture. I also cannot make out some words with a British accent personally, though this was not as hard as say, Kes, I could make it out most part without captions)
    (Nominated for 4 BAFTA film awards, winner of the National Board Of Review in the U.S. in 1962 as one of the top ten films)

Who knows HOW many great movies were never released on DVD?

The decent noir movie They Won't Believe Me (starring Robert Young) is coming out next month on Blu-ray; it's only been available as a laserdisc, to my knowledge.

And while I don't think ones that went out of print should be counted - like Uncle Buck, which goes for around 60 to 90 bucks - it was once available. That doesn't make it affordable though

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  20. Jimmy B.

Wow, I'd want to see this one:
    (Hawks)
    IMDB: Two terminally ill patients in a hospital yearn for relief from their predicament. With little or no friends, they form an uneasy alliance and plot an escape for one last wild time.

21. Jimmy B.

*I meant Only the Lonely, and missed changing it by a couple seconds. Dammit.

22. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

While we’re on the subject, I’m curious about the movie’s original ending, which Dan Aykroyd scrapped and reshot. I was once a member of a cult movie group on Facebook, and another member claimed they attended a test screening with the original ending. If Nothing But Trouble ever gets a blu ray, I’d like to see the original ending as an extra (if possible).

hi_watt and Michael like this.
  23. Michael

yes... that would be great! fingers crossed. ; )

24. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

Negatives (1968). Glenda Jackson and Peter McEnery as a couple whose sex life involves dressing up as Dr Crippen and his domineering wife and murder victim.

Staircase (1969). Rex Harrison and Richard Burton as a bickering gay couple. Yes, it's dreadful! But I really do like the drag queens' song at the beginning.

25. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Number 1 on my wish-list has always been 1971's `Making It' with Kristoffer
    Tabori, Bob Balaban, Dick Van Patten, et al. This was never issued on VHS
    either.