Movies That Killed Careers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JediJones, Apr 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

Terrible title, and to be frank I think Kathleen Turner was a bit too old and podgy to sell a film running round in a mini-skirt showing her legs.

2. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Ouch...she was only 37.

3. ochsfan

ochsfan Forum Resident

This. One of the subtexts of this thread is how difficult it is for women to maintain a career in mainstream American movies after they pass the age of thirty-five. Meryl Streep, Holly Hunter and a few other actresses have been able to keep finding steady work, but they are the exception.

4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Yes that’s right. I totally forgot he directed those 3 films.

5. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

It probably would have had a least a little more success with a better title, but I think they were trying to also create a franchise for the V.I. Warshawski character

6. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

huh??? she was close to A list before the movie --look at her resume : Maze Runner , Parenthood , AHS

That film has left such a bad impression in Hollywood , besides Cameron , anyone involved with it , has a red mark

, AHS ,

7. JonW

JonW That's just the name of the shop, love!

I believe she had health issues that began in the early 1990s.

JediJones likes this.
  8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

He was really good in Community. But, apparently, Chase didn't think his role was funny, and he argued with the showrunner and eventually got shown the door. Too bad, because when he left Commnity, it lost a bit of it's spirit.

9. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

That's funny. I'm watching Community now - well, my wife is and I tune in and out. Chevy is generally there to supply the seasoning to the others' meat, and I'm thinking, Man! There's gotta be a lot of backstage drama about that.

kt66brooklyn and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

2021, folks!

BadJack likes this.
  11. postscripum

postscripum Forum Resident

2021, folks!

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No. Rosa Salazar was never anywhere close to A-list pre-"Alita".

She was a supporting character in the "Maze Runner" movies and got zero name recognition from those.

She appeared in all of 12 episodes of "Parenthood". Again, not the star, got no name recognition.

She had a small part in 4 episodes of "AHS" 10 years ago, Again, not the star, got no name recognition.

"Alita" is by far the biggest role Salazar ever had.

If you think she was "close to A-list", you really don't understand "A-list".

She was largely unknown until "Alita".

You greatly exaggerate the negative impact of "Alita".

It wasn't the hit those involved hoped, but it wasn't the career-crusher you seem to believe.

Ultimately, it'll have zero impact - positively or negatively - on the careers of those involved.

SandAndGlass and JediJones like this.
  13. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Got it. Sorry, I wasn't really following the "when did Cage sell out" discussion all that closely, and I thought you were making a different argument. My bad!

Oatsdad likes this.
  14. Honey Bunches of Sadness

That's right. I remember seeing the Batman t-shirts with Affleck's name super-imposed on them. (Worn ironically, of course, by fans who dreaded his involvement.)

15. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Swit's performance in S.O.B. was so shrill and unbearable, it's little wonder her movie career never went anywhere.

16. Honey Bunches of Sadness

It's an ensemble cast, but agree that Chase was clearly in a more supporting role.

At the time, I thought it was a ballsy move of his to show a self-effacing side and take on a sad-sack role. He was great, and it could've really helped rebuild his reputation. But then he began not getting along with people, and it all fell apart. A leopard rarely changes his spots....

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Swit was a TV actor in her mid-40s. Honestly, her movie career wasn't likely to go anywhere anyway - Hollywood isn't kind to aging actresses, and the fact she had no significant background in movies didn't help!

18. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

Other than Heaven's Gate, I'm not sure I agree with the list or even the premise.

Careers ebb & flow, and modest success, or failure, more the rule than exception.

And Vegas Vacation is one of the funniest movies ever made; Catwoman one of the best superhero flicks.

19. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Donald Glover Recalls Chevy Chase's Racism on Set of Community (consequence.net)

20. Honey Bunches of Sadness

21. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Sam J. Jones. Who is he? He was Flash Gordon in the miserable 1980 film remake. I get physically ill when I hear Queen's abysmal soundtrack.

carlwm and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident Thread Starter

Donald Glover is trying to claim Chevy is racist and the only quote from Chevy he provides is "People think you’re funnier because you’re black." There is literally nothing racist about that statement. It may be true or it may be false, but it's simply a neutral opinion about what other people think.

And the controversy about Chevy using the n-word was simply a case of him asking what the potential dialogue for his character, a bigot, might be:

Chevy Chase Drops N-Word On ‘Community’ Set – Deadline

It's wrong to spread gossip that someone is a horrible, terrible person of some kind without any evidence whatsoever.

The article also says Tina Fey hired Donald Glover "largely because funds from NBC’s Diversity Initiative “made him free.” So if you're looking for an example of racism, an institutional one no less, there's one that has nothing to do with Chevy Chase.

The Basic Instinct 2 director said he had trouble working with her. I'm definitely curious for specifics because 9 times out of 10 when I hear someone's "difficult" to work with it just ends up being that they were trying to get other people to work harder to make something better. I guess it could be a problem if that person is offering suggestions for improvement that aren't actually good ones.

Turner said in the '80s she was always cast to play roles older than her actual age. She is only 2 years older than Alan Ruck. In 1986, he played a high school senior at his REAL AGE in Ferris Bueller while she played a high school senior in Peggy Sue Got Married who was supposed to be an adult woman imagining herself as a high school senior. Ironic. Of course, it's acting and it's all based on what the audience thinks you look like.

She did speak about her health issues with rheumatoid arthritis, which apparently led to medications that caused weight gain and also led her to alcohol abuse. She worked in minor parts in the '90s but looks like the work really slowed down after 2000.

That's not exactly mining racial stereotypes for humor. That's making fun of people for buying into racial stereotypes. Those are necessary scenes for the main character to learn how a black person gets treated differently by people making assumptions about them based on race.

23. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

^ Context is everything.

24. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I think it’s more accurate to say you don’t perceive the statement is as racist as it actually is.

It’s helpful to remember that while whites’ greatest fear is to be considered racist, blacks’ greatest fear is racists.

zebop likes this.
  25. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident Thread Starter

The problem with a lot of fear is how it leaves people vulnerable to have that fear exploited and be manipulated. And how it leads to witchhunting against innocent victims.

JM Jones, SandAndGlass and DHamilton like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.