Movies that you would change the ending

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeless Classics, Jan 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member Thread Starter

For the most part, screenplays and movie endings are usually done perfectly, but every so often, there is a movie that I still love but would definitely change the ending. Name a movie that you still love but would change it.

Here is one for me: A League of Their Own

Kit annoyed me the entire movie. Her cry baby character did not sit well getting the championship. Dottie (Geena Davis) needs to hang on to the ball at the end to give the Rockford Peaches and Jimmy Dugan the win. The ending by Penny Marshall always bugged me. Still, a classic movie nonetheless!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    a customer, music4life and fuse999 like this.
  2. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Live, Die, Repeat (or whatever it's name was before it was changed). A great movie until the last minute ruined it.

Timeless Classics likes this.
  3. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

It’s a Wonderful Life - Am I the only one that thinks something should have happened to the antagonist Mr. Potter? He has no ‘just desserts’.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I thought it ended perfectly...it wasn't about Potter he was just a torn. The end was about life, love and friendship...and of course Angels. ; ) ding ding!

Timeless Classics likes this.
  5. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member Thread Starter

Reminds me of the Saturday Night Live skit :laugh:

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Any movie where the robbers watch their loot disappear before their eyes in the end. I always want robbers to get away with it. Even the “taking of Pelham 123” I want Robert Shaw to get away.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    BrentB likes this.
  7. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

at least martin balsam! (cough, cough)

fr in sc and Ghostworld like this.
  8. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Pay It Forward. Killing the Haley Joel Osmond character in the last 10 minutes was weird and cruel for this type of movie. It's a really good film up to that point. I would have the kid live.

Klavier and Osato like this.
  9. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Animal Farm (Halas and Batchelor, 1954). Beautifully animated, but the changed ending goes against everything Orwell was saying in the book about the corruption of communism. Orwell’s original ending, whilst bleak, was spot on.

10. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Yeah that never really made sense to me either.

finslaw and carrick doone like this.
  11. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I hated the ending of No Country For Old Men. I was loving the movie until the "WTF" ending. It totally ruined the whole movie for me. How would I change the ending? I have no idea and that may be my problem of not liking its ending. The flow of the stories involving the protagonists and antagonists didn't result in a satisfying conclusion (happy or sad nor good or bad,) IMO. Just left me hanging with my mouth opened, wondering what the hell I just watched. And I remember I wasn't the only one who felt that way. More than one person near me walking out of the theatre were saying various negative things about the ending.

Vanilla Sky is another one with a "WTF" ending. Though, to be fair, the entire 3rd act was like that. Up until the 3rd act, I was liking that movie.

There are other movies that I can't think of in which I hated the ending and would change.

12. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I thought the ending to No Country for Old Men was perfect.

Anyway, a near perfect film I rank in my top five all time has an ending that bothers me, that being Apocalypse Now. Every time I see it I wonder what happens to Willard. I have no problem with open ended endings, but this one leaves me wondering.

Borgia and George Co-Stanza like this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the town - i would add a prologue of rebecca hall and ben affleck on a beach in the carribean.

tommy-thewho likes this.
  14. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

City of Angels. Never laughed so hard. Nah..don’t change a thing.

15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Magnolia. Good movie until frogs are inexplicably raining from the sky.

Gollum, 905 and Nice Marmot like this.
  16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Wasn't there something about Clarence confronting Mr. Potter in the original script, but taken out? I think I remember reading that once. Can't find it now though.

17. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

But that’s the meaning behind the whole movie. We are all connected by something as simple as frog rain.

Gollum, Solaris and Jazzmonkie like this.
  18. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

From Here To Eternity: I'd have Pruit, the Buglar, make it back to his company and all would be well.

a customer likes this.
  19. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I think a factor in this is that the entire movie takes place in one night, so Potter's comeuppance hasn't happened...yet.

a customer likes this.
  20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The Firm.

There was nothing wrong with the book's ending. Just awful to change it. The only redeeming factor was Hackman's performance of a character that was a few lines in the book

mmars982 likes this.
  21. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I was enjoying it until then. Symbolism with the subtlety of a sledgehammer isn't something I personally appreciate in film but to each their own.

905 and Dudley Morris like this.
  22. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

All Disney involved/owned Star Wars franchise movies. In fact don’t just change the ending... change the entire debacle.

23. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

New end for The Last Jedi: There is a flash and suddenly, we are on Endor at the end of Return Of The Jedi. Luke wakes up after night of partying and everything after that movie was a bad dream of Luke's.

24. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I am sure Potter is not happy with what happened. Not only does George avoid jail and the Savings and Loan survives. The whole town is united, and that is not what Potter wants.

25. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

That wouldn’t explain Jar Jar Binks. Reset all of it.

Solaris and funhouse like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.