Movies that you would change the ending

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeless Classics, Jan 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Interstellar. I would end it with Matt dying in the black hole and Anne Hathaway going to the new planet.

That whole going back was ridiculous.

reapers likes this.
  2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

You could see the disappointing obvious 'twist' ending in The Village an hour before it ended.

DHamilton and carrick doone like this.
  3. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Two-Lane Blacktop - Were the filmmakers trying to say something about James Taylor’s (I’m using the actor because the character remains unnamed) lack of character development When the film stops dead and melts? What was GTO’s real backstory? Did the teenage runaway live happily ever after with the guy on the ironhead sporty?

4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I do not agree. While Kit was annoying, the flashback part of the film ending with Dottie winning and Kit losing would not have worked. Kit finally having her moment, regardless of her character's flaws, needed to happen.

Agreed. I get why some were thrown by it, as they were expecting the typical Hollywood ending, but the Coens did it just right.

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Robert DeNiro lives happily ever after with his girl at the end of Heat.

6. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member Thread Starter

How is it that Val Kilmer is the only one that lives! Crazy. Never would have scripted that.

Ghostworld likes this.
  7. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

Red River. It makes absolutely no damn sense that Dunston would chase Matt all that way mad as hell intending to kill him, only to scuffle, have Tess basically wag her finger and say “shame on you” and everything is suddenly hunky dory.

fr in sc and humanbeing like this.
  8. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

The ending of "King of California" was a bit too intentionally vague. Ending a movie that leaves to the viewer a lot of room for interpretation is tricky and difficult to do well. Too often I get the feeling it is done that way because someone thinks it's cool to do so. For me, it only works some of the time and if it's not done really well, I would stick with a more concrete ending- which is what I would rather have had this film do.

9. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

From my favorite film, Being There, I would cut the blooper reel at the end and just fade to black for the credits. Before that, the Chance walking on the water ending is perfect. Sellers is said to have thought it cost him the Oscar.

carrick doone likes this.
  10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Roma could have ended about an hour earlier...if I'd just gotten up and walked out.

Ghostworld likes this.
  11. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

broadcast news.....splendor in the grass.....a theme there for me I think

12. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

I always took it that Willard returned to the US and did as he was asked, went to see Kurtz's son and gave him all the material which he had been instructed to pass on. But the main thing is that by the end of the movie Willard has not only gone on a journey in the physical sense he has also mentally, as he says in the voice over he is 'no longer in the army anymore' and wants nothing more to do with the war realizing he is just a pawn in a game which he now sees makes no sense at all. So whether he lives or dies, stays in the jungle or does indeed go home to fulfill Kurtz request doesn't really matter. Willard has completed his journey.

13. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

To be fair, Stalin did die during the making of the movie.

Steve Litos likes this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I must have that blooper reel. Every time I see it, I laugh til tears fall. I needed it when relatives died or something bad happens to me personally.

15. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Thank you for this thoughtful post.

Certainly the film raises a question whether what amounts to a sort of nihilistic, what does it matter?, take on the events witnessed is an appropriate one. Or more to the point the conclusion Willard would most likely come to. In the novel Heart of Darkness Willard's alter ego Marlow returns to "civilization" embittered and cynical, and seems to avoid any if you will constructive involvement. He visits Kurtz's fiancé a year later, and lies to her about Kurtz's last words, saying instead of "The horror!" that he said her name. This works for Conrad and Marlow, I think, but the differences between the Willard and Marlow characters I think make that kind of story unlikely for Willard.

I have wondered whether it makes since to think of Willard even returning to the US, but neither do I think it makes since to view him as suicidal or even likely to just let it slide. What does one do when like Willard you express a desire to check out of the whole f'ing program? I don't know, but I don't think he meant his own life. But I do think it is literally accurate to conclude that he is not going back to serve in the Army.

One theory, which frankly I get from reading other Conrad books, is he goes back to the French Plantation not to stay there (which he was in effect invited to do), but to get Roxanne and take her somewhere other than America. But I have digressed enough here.

The point instead is while the film makes a great case for why Willard's life will never be the same, it really is rather empty in terms of suggesting what possible outcome it will mean for him (at least if you stick to the original version and don't even consider the French Plantation sequence).

Phil147 likes this.
  16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Considering the hell he passed through to get to Kurtz, it is certainly possible he never made it out. We could open a whole thread on 'what happened next' and get 5o plausible scenarios

Hardy Melville and Phil147 like this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"The Game". The ending doesn't need to be super-dark, but the whole forced happy ending never sat well with me...

DHamilton and wwaldmanfan like this.
  18. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

If it were up to me it absolutely would be part of the bonus materials on a disc, just not part of the film itself.

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

But that wasn't an option when "Being There" was released...

20. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Blazing Saddles. Great fun for 90% then, wtf just happened? :wtf:

The recent fairy tale ending remake of IT! :buttkick:

21. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Yeah, this is one of my favourite movies and that is the ending I want also.

Ghostworld likes this.
  22. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I wouldn't call that a fairy tale ending. Bittersweet. And it is an adaptation of only the portion of the book dealing with the Losers Club when they're kids. They do 'win' in their first fight with Pennywise. It is only when they are adults that people start dying.

Kyhl likes this.
  23. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    First Blood (1982)
    Lucas (1986)
    Falling Down (1993)
    The Kingdom (2007)

Hate 'bait & switch' screenwriting.

24. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Knock Knock (2015)
    Anyone here seen this? I was rooting for the protagonist to get retribution at the end, but the villians get away scot-free. Maybe that was the point, but it left me feeling empty. Perhaps because Keanu Reeves' demeanor in the film is the antithesis of how he plays his most successful film roles.

Rocker likes this.
  25. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Please explain.

Lightworker, Dudley Morris and Kyhl like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.