Movies That You'd Like to See Remade

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Tone, Aug 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

None! Enough with the remakes already. It's lazy and they are almost never an improvement on the originals. Just watch the original on blu or dvd (or better yet, support local theaters that screen classic movies). Let's put an end to the barrage of remakes.

Also, this is one of the worst things I've ever read, and I sincerely hope that this never happens.

2. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

How about A Hard Days Night?:D

Dudley Morris likes this.
  3. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

West Side Story. It's something Spielberg has shown a lot of interest in. The basic story is as relevant as ever. I just hope it would keep the beautiful classic orchestral Bernstein score intact and stay away from any Baz Luhrmann-type bombastic imagery. On-location filming and physical sets as needed, please, with only a minimum of CGI touches.
    As much as I love the 1961 film, an "age-appropriate, racially accurate" cast would certainly make sense.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It would have to be another location than the actual Upper West Side though.

sparkydog likes this.
  5. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I think this would be great (I saw the bilingual Broadway revival a few years back that Arthur Laurents did-it wasn't perfect but it had a lot of intriguing ideas) Unfortunately I don't know who could pull off a grittier version of the story-it would likely be even slicker than the Robert Wise film-or flaccid like "Jersey Boys" was

sparkydog likes this.
  6. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

That is a great choice! :righton:
    And this nails the reason why.

7. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I would like a Jaws remake but it would have to deviate very much in storyline from the original in order for it to have suspense and shock. I think it would be very difficult to match the small town atmosphere and superb characters.

I think something similar in wishing for a new animated Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Not the clean looking animation of a Shrek but something looking hand drawn and organic.

gramfan likes this.
  8. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Now that it's been brought up, I really do hope for a PROPER remake of The Hobbit, as a single film. Peter Jackson really screwed the pooch with his overwrought CGE orgy.

Coricama likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

name the cast...

Damiano54 likes this.
  10. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Expendables with Bieber, One Direction and 5SOS.

11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Dune

I love the Lynch film (even the Smithee cut) - not so keen on the TV mini series (never managed to get into it).

[​IMG]

redmetalmoose likes this.
  12. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

The Last Starfighter.

Still entertaining in its original form, but given the effects possible these days it would be quite incredible to see an update.

The music for this 'updated' trailer of the original is a bit over the top, but it's a much better trailer than the original one which is basically a summary of the whole movie and is full of spoilers.

13. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Yer right, of course, but one I'd like to see remade -in spite of the fact that the original is an absolute classic- is Slap Shot, with Denis Leary playing Reggie Dunlop (Paul Newman's character in the original). Leary would be perfect in that role, IMO.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No remakes here. Make new movies with new ideas. Preferably good ones.

15. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

AMEN. It's time to stop the insanity now. I know some people love to point out that "there have always been remakes", but it's never been this crazy. No new ideas left, no new frontiers to conquer?

ohnothimagen likes this.
  16. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Not a "remake", but I'd love to see a new Spenser movie, based on the Robert B Parker books. I even have a cast worked out:

Spenser: Mark Wahlberg
    Hawk: Will Smith
    Susan: Jami Gertz

Just a down to earth, gritty private eye film with no CGI, a little humor (like the books), and without de-saturated colors. It could be box office gold!

Bluesman Mark and LilacTeardrop like this.
  17. Manos: The Hands of Fate. Maybe call it something else, but given an extensive rewrite and some basic competence among all concerned - not to mention an actual budget - there's the basis of a pretty good horror movie there.

18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

None!

I think it's really ridiculous that all of these movies are being remade.

jeatleboe likes this.
  19. Daz

Daz Forum Resident

We need more remakes of remakes!

Nah. That would be stupid. Which is why I'm not a Hollywood exec.

20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

"Congo" was such a great book, but the movie was awful. With as good as the ape CGI in the new Planet Of The Apes movies came out, I think someone should take another pass at this one. If I remember correctly, one of the changes from the book to the movie was that in the book Amy (the ape) used sign-language, but in the movie they had some vocalizer box that translated her signs to speech, and she sounded like a robot. They should just stick with her using sign language and put sub-titles on screen.

21. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

I saw The Shining recently, and thought it needed to be redone properly too.
    I don't know if that was intentional or not, but to me Kubrick totally betrayed the spirit of the book.

I can't really think of any actors, though.

gramfan likes this.
  22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

But it was done perfectly the first time. I want to see bad movies re-made- not the great ones!

23. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

I used to think a Star Trek movie with Billy Crystal as the captain would be the bomb. Ultimately Galaxy Quest came along and scratched that itch for me.

24. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Day of the Triffids

25. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

Star Wars Episodes 1 - 3

FACE OF BOE and The Hermit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.