Movies too long these days? We still won't be getting intermissions! USA Today article

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by pghmusiclover, Jul 26, 2022.

1. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

Just saw Nope. Well over two hours, but I was so engrossed I didn't mind.

OTOH, I've come to love B Noir films from the forties that pack everything into and hour and ten minutes.

thestereofan, drufty and timind like this.
  2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

There needs to be a limit on pre-movie trailers (two is plenty) or show them before the official showtime.

3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I really enjoyed The Batman but thought it could have been trimmed/tightened by about 20 min and not much would have been lost.

MichaelH likes this.
  4. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Did anyone here see the Soderbergh movie Che during its first (and probably only) theatrical run? I saw it at an arthouse theater in Dallas, and it had an intermission. An excellent movie and with an intermission, an enjoyable experience.

altaeria likes this.
  5. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Problem there is films have certain things attached the multiplexes are advised or recommended to play on top of whatever the projectionist feels like adding...within the limits of British decency, of course.

6. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

The last film I saw with an intermission I think was 2001 in IMAX.

Stanley would probably roll over in his grave if he knew Regal didn't bring the lights up during the intermission.

7. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

Theaters here have solved that problem. They show one or two short previews, have no other commercials whatsoever, cut off most of the long animated production company vanity logos, and the second the movie is over, turn on the house lights and politely invite everyone to get out. You can stay and watch the end credits, with the lights on, but most people leave long before learning who the best boy was.

8. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

I always watch them so I can see who supplied the Porta Johns, cause you never know when you might need to rent one, and if it's good enough for Tom, who am I to doubt. :)

LivingForever, agentalbert and timind like this.
  9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Absolutely. Now you sit though so many commercials and previews, I wonder why I should even have to pay for the movie.

MichaelH likes this.
  10. Yes! 90 minutes is long enough for most movies as far as I'm concerned. Even 2 hours is alright for some films, but anything longer forget it.

audiomixer likes this.
  11. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Way back when I was crushing on this girl and we went to see 'Valley Girl'.
    I heard a song in it I liked but didn't know the artist name so I wanted to get it in the credits.
    The second the actual movie ended she wanted to leave. I told her about the song thing but she didn't care and wanted to leave and started getting pissy about it.
    This led to an argument , the bloom went off the rose and that was the end of that romance.

Pangurban likes this.
  12. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

It's not the length of the film, it's the quality (or lack of same.)

We just watched Visconti's "Ludwig" on Criterion; it runs 3 hrs, 48mins and is huge and beautiful film-making.
    Apart from a quick bathroom break, time flew with that one.

C.

13. apb

apb Game on!

Movies too long? Depends!

tvnut likes this.
  14. PianoMangler

PianoMangler Forum Resident

15. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm glad my home player for disks remembers where I stopped watching, and resumes at that point when I come back the next night to finish the movie.

A good night's sleep for intermission :)

16. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I always make sure I go to the bathroom before the movie starts, so I don't have to go again till the movie's over. I also don't eat or drink anything in the theater either, so that helps also.

17. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Sa some crap about this in The Guardian too. So... so should books last only a 100 pages? Should a play be 30 minutes? Crap movies are too long and always have been. Not everyone wants instant gratification and some of us can be engrossed if the film is good.

Ghostworld and Claus LH like this.
  18. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

I agree that it’s the quality of a long film that determines if it should be long or not… but now we are in a different place regarding story telling. Films are generally competing with TV, as more TV series now have actual film quality in terms of budget, production, sound design (and top actors), and have the space for proper character development and plot development, which can take 10 hours.. The best TV series, imo, are more like books, and films can’t really be like that, even at 3 hours. Imagine if Peter Jackson didn’t make LOTR for the cinema, but made it for TV now?
    So maybe there is an argument that films should remain shorter to distinguish them as a completely different experience to TV.. the only problem is I think they will continue to loose popularity, more so at the cinema. I haven’t been to the cinema for a long time, partly because I have a half decent (but old ish!) tv hooked up to my stereo. Sure it’s definitely not the cinema experience, but I have seen a worse picture and heard worse sound on occasion at the cinema…. If I had a massive tv and decent full surround sound I doubt I’d ever go again. But then again I’m easily irritated by talking and rustling food bags!

19. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

„Barry Lyndon“ is three hours long and it still is a masterpiece! It’s the quality of a movie that matters, not the quantity;)

Ghostworld, smilin ed and Claus LH like this.
  20. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

The Intermissions in 2001 and Lawrence of Arabia actually heightened the drama, imo. But of course those are exceptional movies.

Ghostworld likes this.
  21. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

A movie is only too long if it sucks. Even a 30 minute movie is too long if you are not enjoying it.

22. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

That's true, on the other hand I've watched movies that I was enjoying , but that started to wane as the thing went on for too long .

23. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

I'll say it again....if I wanna see a[90 minute]movie I'll watch[Netflix] with the money I dish out for a flick...I want it LOOOOOOOOOOOONG!!!

24. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

That's what she said.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  25. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

Hey, the song/artist credits are the most important part of the movie for some of us. It's a good thing you found about this girl before it was too late.