MQA DAC quality that important?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Johnnyp1, Dec 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnnyp1

Johnnyp1 Active Member Thread Starter

I am currently streaming CD quality though my Cyrus 8 DAC (via Qobuz and Tidal) which I think is a pretty decent DAC. I have had a penchant for trying MQA via Tidal for a while, and have happened upon a cheap Pioneer A-30AE network player with some sort of AKM DAC, which I am having delivered tomorrow. My question is, is the DAC as important for MQA as for standard CD quality streaming. I ask because I hear a lot about the unfolding that the MQA DAC is doing being of the utmost importance, but I haven’t seen many comparisons of MQA DACs themselves.

2. Johnnyp1

This may have got missed due to it having to passed by moderators. Any help very much appreciated.

3. MisterKite

MisterKite Well-Known Member

MQA is a lossy format. I don't think you will find too much love around here for it. But, everyone likes what they like. And if you like MQA, you need to do the second unfold for full resolution, apparently. I would look up Archimago's articles on MQA. He proves that MQA is nothing but DRM, and trying to make people pay more for simple PCM streams that others don't need a special "decoder" to play. Good luck to you.

Plan9, patient_ot, vinnn and 4 others like this.
  4. Johnnyp1

Thanks for getting back to me. I was very happy with Qobuz, but the iOS app constantly lost connection to my Chromecast Audio and was a real pain, hence trying out Tidal. I have bought a used Pioneer N-30AE for just over a hundred quid to try out MQA.

5. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

^^^ Note that there is only one true frequency domain unfold in MQA decoding (if any). The second step is pure upsampling of the first step's result using one of the MQA-flavoured slow-rolloff minimal-phase digital filters (mentioned in the MQA metadata of the MQA-encoded PCM audio).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Plan9, Shawn, vinnn and 3 others like this.
  6. Johnnyp1

That’s very interesting. My only real concern is that the DAC in my Cyrus 8 DAC will be better than that in the Pioneer playing redbook. I guess I’m trying to do this on a shoestring. If Qobuz didn’t disconnect from the Chromecast Audio Id stick with that.

7. MisterKite

Are you casting using Roon? Or just the native Qobuz app?

My advice - get JRiver or Roon - set it up with a Chromecast Audio with a fiber connection - and its automatically lossless 24/96 PCM. it does everything dedicated streamers do. It'll sound great.

8. Johnnyp1

Just using the app. My PC is on a WiFi range extender, so that seems to be buggering things up when I try and use Roon.

9. MisterKite

10. Johnnyp1

The way my house is laid out makes that impossible sadly, I can’t get a cable from my router downstairs to my PC upstairs.

11. MisterKite

Gotcha. You could always run a mini pc or android box to the chromecast - wired. Just an idea.

12. Johnnyp1

Thank you. How would I control my music on that instance? If the Qobuz app wasn’t so hopeless The problem wouldn’t have arisen. Mind you, I’m having to use the Pioneer remote app to get MQA and its a depressing experience! Three or four different versions of the same album listed but no indication as to which is hi-res.

13. MisterKite

I would stay away from Pioneer's app. Look into Jriver. I like it better than Roon - theres a trial. If you like to tweak with stuff and know where and whats happening (with full Blu ray, DSD, DVD audio, capability) try that. I am not 100% sure it does MQA though.

It has an app JRemote. Really there isn't a benefit to MQA, especially when you send it to a Chromecast - its just plain old PCM.

14. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I think the quality of the DAC matters more than the file type a lot of the time. I would focus on a DAC that you like the sound of. If it has MQA, great. If it doesn't, just play the hi-rez version on Tidal.
    You can run MQA through a lesser DAC, and you can run an MP3 through a higher end DAC. But unless your music is largely MQA only, I wouldn't stress about it. Given that Tidal has normal hi-res in addition to MQA, it makes the choice fairly simple in my mind.

Shawn, Kyhl and beowulf like this.
  15. hman

hman Forum Resident

I have a Mytek Liberty DAC that does MQA. I have both a Tidal account and an Amazon account. I stream with a bluesound and use the DAC in the Mytek.

The Tidal MQA files sound identical to the HiRes files in Amazon and the HiRes files stored locally; that is to say they all sound amazing!

The Mytek also does a great job with CD ripped FLACS stored on a local drive and with CD quality files on Tidal and Amazon.

If you are a Tidal user, it pays to get a Dac that does MQA, because the MQA files sound fantastic. If you are an Amazon or Qobuz user, why bother?

saturdayboy and JMCIII like this.
  16. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, have you compared Tidal's Hi-res to Tidal's MQA? Because you said the MQA files sound identical to Amazon and local, wouldn't this mean that maybe you don't need the MQA after all? Or in your experience would you put Tidal non-MQA files below Amazon and locally stored files?

MisterKite likes this.
  17. hman

hman Forum Resident

I've compared: non-mqa Tidal, mqa Tidal, Qobuz hi-res, Qobuz non-hi-res, locally stored FLAC, CDs, SACD and vinyl.

Qobuz hi-res, Tidal MQA and Amazon hi-rez all sound very detailed and quiet. Some of it sounds absolutely remarkable. All three sound significantly better than their "CD quality" bretheren.

If you are a rock and roll person, Qobuz has the weakest catalog. That is why I dropped it. Amazon and Tidal have deep catalogs with lots of indie and rarer stuff. The reason why I use Tidal the most is that the interface with Bluesound and my phone that controls it is much, much better.

18. Johnnyp1

I’m coming to pretty much the same conclusion. Definitely seems more air around both the Qobuz hi-res and MQA recordings than 44.1. To me the Qobuz hi-res sounds very airy and sharp, whereas the MQA treble seems sweeter. Not AB/X or anything like that, though.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  19. MisterKite

I would look at Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) Observations and The Big Picture...

Then, decide for yourself. But, stay informed. Stay educated in your decisions. But, it's your ears; your money.

IMO: It all starts with PCM. Very, very, very rarely do engineer's record using DSD and is output native DSD. But that's a different topic. I find there really isn't a benefit to even DSD recordings. It all comes down to the mastering. If it's a great mastering - format is a moot point. It'll sound good regardless. (one caveat - being cassette tape - no clue why that is trying to come back).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Shiver likes this.
  20. Johnnyp1

Thank you. I've got no great love for MQA, but Tidal is easier for me to stream than Qobuz, and. to my ears, with my equipment, I definitely prefer the sound of MQA over Redbook on Tidal. The Pioneer only cost me just over a hundred quid anyway! My greatest surprise at the moment is that I prefer the DAC in the Pioneer to that in the Cyrus 8 DAC for redbook.

audiomixer likes this.
  21. MisterKite

A an alternative to Roon: You can stream your local library using an app called HiFi Cast (I think and it's completely free) to your Chromecast Audio, as well... it streams bit perfect using your library. But, you're talking about streaming files that aren't on your network. Anyway, if you must have MQA - get the SMSL DAC with MQA capability. It's a great value - and no more issues.

22. Johnnyp1

Thanks for the recommendation. I’d just need a streamer then, as the Pioneer only has analogue out.

23. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

What's the future of Tidal and MQA looking like, especially with Amazon music at large? Not too well last I picked up on anything but it may have been inaccurate or may have changed. ie potentially worth considering before investing in equipment around it.

24. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

25. Johnnyp1

Won't it be really noisy sending the signal through the mains?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.