Music : Current obsessions ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Jun 9, 2023.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Scott Walker
    Serge Gainsbourg
    Nick Drake

Crimson Witch and Siegmund like this.
  2. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Mighty Baby.

Not quite an obsession but I've played the new LP reissue on Ace records each day for a few days, since I bought it.

Nick Drake? I play his albums regularly enough. They've been with me a lot of years now.

Ian S and alexpop like this.
  3. paperhat

paperhat Scatterbrained musician

I have been on a Radiohead kick lately. I always liked OK Computer and Kid A but never dug too deep outside of somewhat enjoying Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows.

Now I think In Rainbows is arguably the best album of the millennium (and the only Radiohead album without filler or transition pieces) but I also think there were some production mistakes on that album that rendered the final product lesser than it could have been based on the high quality of the songs and playing. Namely the drums are too underprocessed/dry/small sounding and the vocals are too overprocessed with too much reverb.

Otherwise been digging into their B-sides, more recent stuff and older stuff that I hadn't listened to. I also came to the realization that although Amnesiac is not my favorite as a whole it has the most songs I would put in their top 10 songs. A shame that some of their B-sides from that era are way better that many of the album tracks there. Another missed opportunity imo.

4. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Wings

fungomatto likes this.
  5. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Try A Moon Shaped Pool. Good stuff. You may need several listens, though.

gregorya, Exitmusic, MoonPool and 3 others like this.
  6. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

David Bowie Lodger

Exitmusic and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  7. OneHandLoose

OneHandLoose Moxie Drinker

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - The Social Network

8. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I've been playing The Basement Tapes a lot (the real ones, not the 74 overdubs), and I'm not even a huge Dylan fan. Really love these, though.

9. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Yes, A Moon Shaped Pool is tied for third with In Rainbows for my Favorite Radiohead Album, with OK Computer my #1, and The Bends my #2.

MoonPool, CD Addict and Umbari like this.
  10. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Nice. Do you enjoy Kid A?

11. TheSeldomSeenKid

Ennio Morricone-I bought the 2 recent Book Box Sets.

SmallDarkCloud likes this.
  12. Solaris Morse

Solaris Morse Forum Resident

Let's Eat Grandma,who I will be seeing live in London tomorrow evening.....so long as I haven't passed out in the heat in the meantime !! :help:

13. TheSeldomSeenKid

I would have enjoyed a combination of the Best 5-6 Songs from Kid A and Amnesiac, as those Songs were recorded during the same time. Kid A has a few Top Songs including How to Disappear Completely, The National Anthem, Optimistic, Morning Bell, and possibly Idioteque, but I just never got into the First 2 Songs, as just too unemotional for me and Cold like the Album Cover Art(which I do love), and when I heard the Title Track, it was like WTF is this crap? Still ticked off they played it at the Concert I attended in 2018. I lost interest after hearing the B-Sides to Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief, but Electronic Blips and Beeps are not my thing, however In Rainbows won me back, then they lost me with their Worst Album, The King of Limbs(although Separator is one of my Favorite Radiohead Songs), then won me back with A Moon Shaped Pool, as I liked the New Cinematic Style, and maybe developed in part from Jonny Greenwood’s Movie Soundtrack Albums, which I like. The only Thom Yorke Album I liked was his Suspiria Soundtrack.

I do like The Smile Music released so far, but also looking forward to the next Radiohead Album, if and whenever that will be created and released.

ARK and Umbari like this.
  14. rpirl

rpirl Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Michael Weston King - Wikipedia
    Liking everything I've heard from this guy thus far

'American Women of Pop, 1986-1990'
    A lotta people think this was a poor period for music but have found at least one tune I like from about 30 different American female pop singers

'Best Irish B-sides'
    Trying to find some / all of the best ones, off to a flyer so far

zphage likes this.

15. These are the Vol 1 and 2?

What is the difference? Volume appears to be chronological albums whereas Vol 2 appears to be thematically grouped?

16. TheSeldomSeenKid

zphage likes this.
  17. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

My current obsession is getting a CD copy of the Hey Jude album after buying the vinyl back in 1970. What comes around does go around.

18. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

We're pretty similar. :D
    Except I'm not into The Smile. And I don't like Thom' solo albums.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  19. TheSeldomSeenKid

As I mentioned, the only Yorke Solo Album I like was the Suspiria Soundtrack. I only like a few Songs from his First Solo Album. OK Computer is my All Time Favorite Album. I bought it the day it was released and after putting the CD in my Car, thought the Album was delivered from Outer Space. I probably played it 4-5 days per week from July through December in 1997, and somehow never tired of hearing it.

20. mybraveface

mybraveface Forum Resident

Roxy Music
    Talk Talk

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  21. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

haendel

22. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Probably my Enya playlist.

23. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

I haven't heard the Suspiria soundtrack? Is it as good as the ones by Jonny?

OK Computer is awesome, although I prefer In Rainbows as my go-to Radiohead album.

CHALKERS likes this.
  24. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

Mostly Japanese Jazz

backeast, andrewskyDE and Psyren99 like this.
  25. Anakin Wilbury

Anakin Wilbury Forum Resident

Zapp
    Washington Phillips
    The Swinging Machine