Music Direct Tax Policy

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by G E, Jun 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

There are many different 5$ bills in circulation. That was one iteration.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It gets better. Gas is double the price, too. :D

Dave likes this.
  3. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Wow, that is really nasty, because unless people are really good at arithmetic they will never notice that they were overcharged.

4. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I want online purchases to show the tax rate. They all show something like
    Order Total: $10.00
    Sales Tax: $3.33
    Total: $13.33

I want it to clearly show
    33.3% Sales Tax: $3.33

In person retail purchases too.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  5. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

For both of the merchants, they actually had the old, higher sales tax rate printed on the receipt, so it was obvious (and did the math after the fact to confirm). Sorry for not mentioning that.

Doug

6. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

You guys must be making in-state purchases from these companies. I just ordered something the other day from Crutchfield and was not charged sales tax. I know Amazon is starting to do this on a state-by-state basis with their third party sellers...didn't realize so many other outfits were now collecting sales tax.

7. G E

G E Senior Member Thread Starter

Nope, not IL, out of state. Lots of online places charging tax now. The states are hungry for money. If your state collects sales tax, it expects disbursements from online merchants.

I might try to find out who owns the company and put it to he/she why they aren’t properly collecting state tax.

8. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I believe all online and mailorder retailers are supposed to now. Some won't until they get a stern letter from the IRS or get sued by the IRS or State tax agencies.

9. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

I was told a couple of months ago by an online retailer that it depends on how much commerce your state does with the state in which the retailer resides.:shrug:

10. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I pay sales tax at Music Direct from out of state. I am pretty sure I have paid sales tax at Crutchfield, too, but I’d have to look back as it’s been a while since my last order. Amazon has always charged me sales tax for “sold by Amazon” items, but some third-party sellers still have no tax.

11. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I know a little about this in my professional life. The Supreme Court gave states the ok to tax online sales to out of state customers, but left it to the individual states to set thresholds, which they're still doing. This is why SHF members are noticing this at different times rather than all at once.

The order processing software most on line vendors used is not able to keep up with the pace of change, which is why most vendors are saying the hell with it and charging the highest possible rate as a means of covering their own behinds. I can't blame them for this, because the states can go after owners or financial staff personally if they under collect. SHF members who live in some of the southern states can elaborate, but my understanding is that each city has their own sales tax rate or something close to it.

At the moment, Amazon and another company by the name of Avalera are the 800 lb gorillas in terms of accurate sales tax collection. Eventually, someone will create an inexpensive plug in that will update rates and rules in real time but until then, sales tax savings will no longer be a reason to save money on line. Skipping that brownie I don't need will be a good reason to continue ordering from home, however.

Big Blue likes this.
  12. psulioninks

Yes, this is true for me as well...but only because Amazon has a nexus (distribution facility) in my city/state.

13. psulioninks

The Node 2i I ordered was $499.99 total including shipping - nothing else. Must have something to do with the amount of business they do in WI opposed to KS.

14. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Income tax on high wage earners is NOT 10% or even 6% here in AZ. Moreover, the wealthy can afford 'tax attorneys' to help them avoid the taxes they do pay that the poor and middle class simply can't afford to hire. And before you take issue with what I said, know that I assisted one of the top tax attorneys in the USA when I worked at Chadbourne & Parke. I saw how he helped his wealthy clients avoid paying taxes by forming LLCs and other entities, as well as other tax avoidance schemes - all legal, but which we the middle class cannot partake in.

Big Blue likes this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

That's the actual law (nexus = taxes).

But more and more states are bullying retailers to collect taxes even though the retailer has no nexus in their state. Basically, they have lots of taxpayer-funded lawyers that they will use to threaten businesses. Your tax dollars at work.

So now businesses are charging taxes even for states for which they have no legal obligation to collect them, because the states are bullying them into collecting them.

Thank your state politicians.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  16. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I actually was misremembering, and it turns out I have not paid sales tax at Crutchfield.

17. psulioninks

Just for fun, I put a Node 2i in my cart and went thru the checkout process at Music Direct. Same as Crutchfield, no sales tax. I also checked my receipt for a recent music purchase I made from Music Direct - same thing.

If they are doing this based on the volume of business they do in a particular state, then this just must be a benefit for me as an audiophile living in the great state of KS. LOL

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  18. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

The Supreme Court changed this and gave states the ok. And state politicians still suck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.