Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Moses Sumney is stunningly beautiful. What a voice

mikemoon likes this.
  2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Thats nothing. I'm still waiting for orders as far back as April 2! It's taking on average two months to get here.

3. StevenTounsand

StevenTounsand Waxidermy Refugee

The third record in that series is my favorite with the waltz...
    Ed Blackwell’s tom heavy approach always moves me!

ultron9 and MisterBritt like this.
  4. Jeffrey Weiss

Jeffrey Weiss Forum Resident

Speaking of Dolphy and Jersey City, my copy of “Out to Lunch” which I snagged off of one of the forums, has been stuck in Jersey City for 9 days, enroute from New York to South Jersey

Sneezyachew likes this.
  5. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

I've only been ordering records from Acoustic Sounds and they ship FedEx, but I shouldn't be surprised the post office is struggling now.

Yeah, dude really hits me. His music feels so immersive.

Yikes! That's a huge bummer.

SJR likes this.
  6. AshS

AshS Forum Resident

I just took receipt of Freddie Redd's Shades of Redd and Sam Rivers' Fuchsia Swing Song on MMJ 45 rpm. Both of these dates are fire! If you do not have these titles yet it is time to click buy. You will most certainly regret sleeping on either of these.

7. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

Would love to have the Music Matters pressing Lee Morgan- Side Winder but its above the price im willing to pay for records now. Gotta conserve my money.

8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Been looking at that Freddie Redd on and off now. Always like going after a title that might not be a must have at first but then a nice surprise.

So back to some Jackie McLean magic last night and listened to One Step Beyond and Destination... Out! back to back locked in my zone. Hard to really say which one I like the most now, as they are both classics, but might have to still give the edge to OSB just because of the song "Ghost Town". That is just one heck of a listen! Put me in the mood for "Out To Lunch", but it was late and that's pretty much how I was feeling at the time, so as they say, today's another day.

Jeffrey Weiss, AshS, Elofan and 4 others like this.
  9. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

This is exactly how it played out with me with the Redd album. Such a grower and now the one I reach for the most in recent months. I have no other version to compare it to but the MMJ is so sweet.

10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

My current list is out of control (and now this title has found it's way on it)...early today I heard the PF Money song coming out of my wife's personal computer and I was like you can't find a better song than that to listen to (I do like PF though) and she said you are on the MMJ thread again are you not, so I rest my case. Busted again...she does have a sense of humor I suppose.

Bryce and Elofan like this.
  11. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Yep Scotty, I agree with @Bryce I am sorry to say. I really enjoy Shades of Redd. It’s one of the first thing in the morning go-to records for me. I have the Classic reissue, but I have no doubt you’d love the MMJ version.

AshS and scotti like this.
  12. Jeffrey Weiss

Jeffrey Weiss Forum Resident

OSB is one of my ATFs. Love Ghost Town!

13. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Ghost Town is an incredible tune.

14. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

Does anyone know of how many copies of each MMJ release were pressed? I know the hype stickers have the license limits (3500 and 2500), but it seems hard to believe that MMJ pressed thousands of copies of Wahoo and there are none available for sale.

15. purevinyl

purevinyl Forum Resident

Great question and i wonder the same. with the SRX titles that sell out in a few minutes, it must be less than 300-500 copies? its totally frustrating to say the least!

MM claims that SRX formula hard to work with and has to hand inspect and have a higher reject rate?

Mobile Fidelity uses the SRX formula for the "One Step" 45rpm reissues. and press 3-7K copies of each title. and you never hear about high reject rate from them? (they also use RTI )

Hello???

16. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

Mingus Ah Um on SRX is a thing of beauty!

AnalogJ and Echoes Myron like this.
  17. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I have purchased 5 of the one-steps and 2 of the 10 LPs needed replacement. How does anyone outside of MoFi know what the reject rate is?

AnalogJ and Mazzy like this.
  18. Weren’t there a bunch of issues w some one step pressings ? We usually never hear office comments anyway.

AnalogJ and Elofan like this.
  19. biggysteve

biggysteve Forum Resident

Last call for the Sam Rivers title! Only 3 left on the site.

NorthNY Mark, AshS and beyondmiles like this.
  20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

They have primarily had problems with the individual LP covers inside the box, but they have had their share of pressing issues. They haven't had tape issues, though.

21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

What a great day in store as I got delivery confirmation for this afternoon on Jubilee Shout!!! and Right Now!, and on top of that my Cisco of "One Flight Up" as well. The seller I got that one from lives in Florida, so pretty fast to where I'm located. Stereo is already warming up...so ready!

22. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

I don't mean to be too OT but i trust a lot of people on this board and i'm still entering the audiophile world.

Is there a bare minimum level record player that is needed to pair with these MMJs? I have a very basic one and I wonder if it's limiting my sonic potential.

23. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

If MMJ prices (or other audiophile pressings like AP, MoFi, etc) at $40-$100 don't make your stomach turn and you know you love the tracks, by all means, grab them while you can and worry about equipment upgrades in your future. Some may argue that you might damage the records if your equipment is really crappy or dirty, but if you're on Hoffman Forums, I have to think you're not a slob ;)

Being a novice to the deep universe that is audiophile equipment as well, there's always more money you can spend for "better" equipment. To a point, you probably would hear noticeable improvements in your listening experience with equipment upgrades, but that's more than just the turntable - your amp, speakers, cartridge, speaker placement, etc. There's always options when you want to upgrade your gear. Records and releases on the other hand (as I'm learning being out of record collecting for a few years), not as easy...

24. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

That's a very dangerous question you just asked. You are referring to your TT, are you not? It might be best suited for one of the respective audio threads. But from experience, your rig is going to play a very important role on how the sound is delivered. And of course all of the other gear being used. If done right, you still need to spend a bit, but if you do your homework, you can get some pretty awesome sounds without breaking the bank, depending on what your budget is. I was going to put a decent chunk more into my system, but then I asked myself, do I still want to buy most of the records I want, so I stopped while I was ahead. I still dream about my ultimate setup all of the time.

Not sure how your stereo is located/set. But I had my HiFi shop come in and set up everything as perfect as could be and the results sound amazing! They spent several hours doing so. To watch them laser in the speakers for my sweet spot, was cool as heck.

Edit - had to chime in with @musictoad here. I agree 100 percent, get the system you desire first, then go after the records. Because the difference in listening to MMJ, AP 45's, Tone Poet's, MoFi and so on can truly give you a better appreciation of the music you are hearing from those grooves.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  25. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

If you don't feel your current system is where you want it to be, I'd invest in that first. Don't chase expensive OOP records if you don't have a system that can take advantage of them. And if you're not sure, choose a title and do a comparison on your current system between say an MM pressing and a BN80 of the same title just to see.

Who knows, by the time you're set to go maybe BN will be releasing the big BN titles Tone Poet style anyway.

scotti likes this.