Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Stream it on youtube, listen to it, decide if you like it enough to spend the money on?

;)

2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I’m in the mood for some Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers today — spinning a trio of my favourites; all classics, every one a masterpiece . . .

[​IMG]
    1959/2014 Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MMBST-84003, Blue Note ‎– ST-84003
    Blue Note The Definitive Vinyl Reissue Series – KPG&RR@CA

[​IMG]
    1965/2019 (SRX) Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MMBST-84170, Blue Note ‎– ST-84170
    Blue Note The Definitive Vinyl Reissue Series – KPG&RR@CA

[​IMG]
    1966/2019 Blue Note ‎– ST-84193
    Blue Note 80 Vinyl Reissue Series – KPG@CA

3. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Sorry Steve! You have a great Sonny record on the way though.

4. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Ha! No worries, it's all good bud :righton:

Bryce and Crazysteve like this.
  5. biggysteve

biggysteve Forum Resident

I blame CrazySteve. Biggysteve left several copies for you last night.

6. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Bloody Steve! :winkgrin:

7. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

I'm not sure but it seems they're telling people replacements are a no go. I understand RTI is closed/running at a reduced capacity... but you'd think a reissue label would have extras in case of returns or defects

Refunds are acceptable but if it were me I'd be upset about getting a defective $75+ record record with no chance of a replacement.

GentleSenator likes this.
  8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Random thread tangent incoming in 3...2...1...

[​IMG]

Janos Starker box set arrived today! Good Lordy look at that packaging, came in a snazzy bomb proof box with carry on handle, packed better than many amplifiers I’ve received.

gmeese34, Dmann201, mikeyt and 16 others like this.
  9. biggysteve

biggysteve Forum Resident

They had the original batch of 500 pressed pre-pandemic. I would not be surprised if they thought (at the time) there would be little issue in procuring replacements from RTI on an ‘as needed’ basis. Just not as feasible, right now.

BreakBeat DJ likes this.
  10. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Oooo looks good! Mine is suppose to arrive on friday and I can't wait!

recstar24 and scotti like this.
  11. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Mine too! :pineapple:

recstar24, scotti and Twinsfan007 like this.
  12. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

To be fair, I did my first guitar refret on my vintage Stratocaster. Second time was my 1960 D-18. So I tend to jump right in. But yes, that's probably good advice.

13. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

For what it's worth, with all the complaints of MB and SNE, my new SRXs were flawless.

I did a quick compare of the first song on Speak No Evil, because man there's a trumpet blast in the second intro part of the song that sounds almost like tape crinkle, and it's there on the SRX, so it's not a pressing oddity from my non-SRX. Listening on headphones, man both are quiet and lots of nice detail in the quieter songs especially the lightness on the drums.

scotti and kt66brooklyn like this.
  14. arem

arem Forum Resident

Damn you guys for making me listen to “Leapin And Lopin”... just went and ordered it just so I wouldn’t regret not buying it later. Didn’t even add a second record.

AllenR, recstar24, scotti and 5 others like this.
  15. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Alright you big bunch of bullies (I kid) - ordered a Record Doctor VI from Crutchfield. Should arrive Monday.

Local shop will sell me a VPI 16.5 for 20% off, but still over $700 after tax. For less than half, I could convince myself (and my wife) that the RDVI is worthwhile. Am I positive the VI is worth the $100 more than the V? Jury is still out but I’ve never tried the V so why don’t we just say it is.

What are your guys’ favorite cleaning solutions? L’art seems to be a popular choice.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  16. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

One of the disadvantages of tbe Nitty Gritty design (of which the RD is one) is that there's no surface upon which you can scrub the records. The supplied brush is only there to distribute the fluid. The velvet lips are the things that scrub the record. But they're not THE most thorough. A machine one like the VPIs have a solid surface upon which to scrub, so you can work on particularly dirty records prior to using the vacuuming process.

With the RD, it will be useful to have a mat and a Record Doctor or Mobile Fidelity brush to deal with dirtier records.

Echoes Myron and neubian like this.
  17. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I don't do 45s and might wait forever for a new MM/TP/BN80 of this title. So I ponied up for a Japan LNJ promo.
    My favorite Sonny Clark by a considerable margin.

mikemoon, Crazysteve and ryu like this.
  18. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

One more vote for a VPI. They last forever! And if something does wear out, VPI will overhaul it to "like new" state. I have had my VPI 17 for years (20 years? lost count) and it has gone through one overhaul since the motor was acting up and I had a little water damage to one spot on the deck. It was expensive for me back then, but was a great investment, especially since I bought it used (like new) and my collection is now over 3,000 records (again, lost count...)

19. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

Some price drops from MMJ:

Grachan Moncur Evolution down $10 to $65
    Lee Morgan Candy down $15 to $45
    Lee Morgan Indeed down $5 to $45
    Jackie McLean Swing Swang Swingin' down $5 to $45

TheoJ, Clucking, GreatTone and 6 others like this.
  20. BreakBeat DJ

BreakBeat DJ Forum Resident

You won’t regret upgrading. I was a late believer in good cleaning process, but it def made a difference. I used to have a complicated procedure for cleaning. Then a buddy turned me on to Audio Intelligent #15 and Reagent grade II water. I have a MoFi brush for both, vacuum it off, and it’s quick and very effective. I was told you could use the grade II water without cleaner and sometimes I do and it works really well on its own. ChemWorld has it.

I’m sure others have their pref, but the AI stuff is where I landed after a long time of testing. I’ve had some original Motown records brought back to life. I don’t know how others feel, but I didn’t like the MoFi products at all.

NorthNY Mark and mikemoon like this.
  21. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

The VPI 16.5 is a beast. I got mine a couple years back when you could get the machine bundled with supplies for $700.

I use a 3 step process with MOFI deep cleaner, record wash, and distilled water. I use a MOFI brush for the first two scrubbing stages, and the VPI brush for the distilled water rinse. (Actually 4 step for really dirty records, with a rubbing alchohol/cloth wipe down first, to minimize contaminating the brushes.)

It is all about technique. You can really push the MOFI brush down into the grooves for dirty records. Replacement pads are super cheap.

I have about 2,000 records and have been collecting for over 30 years. My only regret is not buying the 16.5 sooner. It is essential.

22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Very nice! My copy will arrive Friday, but out for delivery today are my three Sam Records titles. So looking forward to Nathan Davis "Live In Paris" (and the other 2) and happy I grabbed it when I did, because it's now sold out.

Did my Leapin' and Lopin'/Cool Struttin' shootout for overall listening enjoyment last night and hands down Cool Stuttin' kicked it's you know what. To my ears better music and absolute better sound, coming out of those "Legs" if you will. I really like Leapin' and Lopin', but Cool Struttin' is the clear winner for me!

23. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Audio Intelligence One-Step #6, easy and effective. I've also used VPI and Disc Doctor in the past. I also have used the AI 3 Step on used/dirtier records.

NorthNY Mark and Echoes Myron like this.
  24. snap

snap Forum Resident

The heavy presence of Art Farmer and Jackie Mack on 'Cool Struttin' give it the edge over 'L and L'.

25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

VPI is tremendous in its support. Harry and Mat are pretty much always personally reachable, and they have their own forums on their website.