Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I was the same. His dial and savoy is such a bright shiny star his later years on verve were hard to see. Some of These early cleff records are incredible ..w great band
    Coleman Hawkins
    Max Roach
    Al Haig
    Percy Heath
    Buddy Rich.
    Try streaming the material. I think its high time his verve years got a little more credit. I was certainly guilty here.

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Yeah I’m not saying it’s trash. I have it on cd, don’t see myself spending $60 on the vinyl is all.

Stu02 likes this.
  3. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Is there an affordable way to get some good Parker on vinyl? Or is the box $150-$200 the best bet?

bkbk likes this.
  4. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

I understand the appeal of the 33s and I have many. But I have come to the conclusion the 45rpm releases are superior in sound quality. Just not in convenience. I would say I have a healthy mix of both 33s and 45s.

AnalogJ and mackeyse like this.
  5. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Well, those Verve 2-fers from the 70's can still be had for cheap.

Stu02, mikemoon and Dignan2000 like this.
  6. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

- I’m never gonna fall for the ole’ 45 RPM trap if I don’t have to. I mean even MM realized 33’s were selling better and stopped with the 45’s. But this is a discussion that’s gone round and round and round for eternity, so I say... to each his own! :)

robertawillisjr likes this.
  7. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Got my hands on a copy of Mosaic and finally gave it a clean and spinning it now. New favorite Blakey & JM album on vinyl. This one is my first MMJ Blakey, only others I own are AP Moanin’, the VMP Freedom Rider, and The BN80 Indestructible + Buhaina’s Delight. I might need to double dip on the MMJ Indestructible from all the amazing things I hear about it.

Dignan2000 and Clucking like this.
  8. Jeffrey Weiss

Jeffrey Weiss Forum Resident

I have all but 4 of the 33s and I’m thrilled with them. My SOP is get the SRX first (have them all), get the 33 second, when neither exist I get the 45. Although the 45 may be slightly better than the 33 (???), I generally find that I can get more into the experience with less flipping. Really glad that Tone Poet chose the 33 format.

9. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

That’s a good one! My very first MM :love: Thanks for the reminder to spin it.

Crazysteve likes this.
  10. Yeah I do give the 45 s the edge but if I only had the 33s I’d be happy. I have maybe half 45/33 out of 70 MMJs and I would trade them straight across if I could for all 33s.

I agree the continuous mood works better on the 33 format. For me.

11. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I agree. I have every unique title, but no duplicates. Where I once had the 45 of a title later released at 33, I bought the 33 and sold the 45. Same with the 33s on SRX, actually; I have all the SRX releases.

12. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

I can’t disagree that the 33s are quite satisfactory. But as I upgrade my system, the unique lushness of the 45s becomes more apparent. There’s something about bass at 45 rpm that can’t be beat. But yes it’s annoying to flip constantly.

AnalogJ, mikeyt, Cervelo and 3 others like this.
  13. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Doesn't anyone use a stacker anymore? That's what I do: easy peasy.

14. StevenTounsand

StevenTounsand Waxidermy Refugee

Hell yeah, stack that ish...
    I wish I had one - but most MMJ dudes would have a heart attack just seeing them touch surfaces.

AnalogJ and robertawillisjr like this.
  15. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Actually, I was just messin' but no judgment here.

16. BreakBeat DJ

BreakBeat DJ Forum Resident

Matador 45rpm is back in stock. $99.95

AnalogJ and musictoad like this.
  17. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Just back from a 2-week vacation in the Smoky Mtns of Western NC. Slapped on Soothsayer and man does it sound smooth as butter. Always love that feeling of fresh ears on vinyl after a few weeks of portable streaming, although I sure do miss being 'lost' in the boonies :)

18. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

I feel you in both cases. Did trip in June to Slyva NC looking for retirement place. Funky town referred to as New Orleans of The Carolinas with around 2500 population. Return to reality is harsh but we’re lucky to have quality music, played all my Shorter MMJ records. Still thinking about it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    Dignan2000, Fender Relic and timzigs like this.
  19. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Basic question about the website - sorting by availability, is it in order from most available to least available I'm guessing? Or vice versa?

20. Rob Zarzecki

Rob Zarzecki Forum Resident

From past experiences, first item has the most availability

musictoad likes this.
  21. timriepe

timriepe Forum Resident

Just got my most recent order! Point Of Departure is easily in my top 10 Blue Notes..just such a beautiful record and sounds great in 45rpm. Ya know, I used to not really care for 45s but im kind of changing my tune these sound great!

A big surprise has been “Lou Takes Off” what a bargain! It really swings and the band kills. Makes me want to take a look at the other titles under 50 dollars and see if I'm missing something. I urge anyone who doesn't have this one to buy it now!

22. timriepe

timriepe Forum Resident

Posting again to say George Joyner on the bass (which is a name I am unfamiliar with to be honest) really shines on “Lou Takes Off” man, he is killing it...

wellers73 and recstar24 like this.
  23. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Alright I don’t know why but I was sampling Elvin Jones’ Genesis the last few days and I had to have it. A fussy 1 year old made me miss out on a steal of an eBay auction yesterday. Bummed since I don’t like it to the tune of $75 on MMJ’s site but found a NM copy online for $50 which is a decent consolation.

I’ve got my eye on a few other titles on the MMJ site but need something big to push me over to the free shipping threshold...I still check the site like a hawk for any surprises.

Clucking likes this.
  24. Genesis is a gem and if we are talking pure sonics it may be the best in the MMJ catalog. It was recorded in a later era than the majority of the catalog (maybe the latest?) and from a recording stand point it is quite evident. Musically as well, but to a lesser extent IMO. Yes it uses an electric bass, but the music has hard bop roots and really stretches into the avant-garde/modal realm. A beautiful album and absolutely stunning sound. I’d wager if the cover were more appealing it would have been OOS many moons ago.

25. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

It's so good - I had no/low expectations but picked it up because it was a good price on Discogs. Played it a bunch of times since I got it last week.

NorthNY Mark and beyondmiles like this.