Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

well at $100 a pop, youre only getting a very specifc group of multiple niche markets lol

GentleSenator and recstar24 like this.
  2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Pfft, thats a deal now a days.

;)

kt66brooklyn and Swordsandchains like this.
  3. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

Question for those who have a collection of a MMJ, Mofi, AP, and other audiophiles. How do you organize them? Do you group them together by label? By artist? Do you put your Herbie Hancock MMJ together with all your other Hancock albums which may not be MMJ?

I’m thinking about reorganizing after moving and curious what people do.

4. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

By artist. Always. So yeah, using your example, I have MMJ, AP, BN80, Tone Poet, Speakers Corner, VMP pressings of Herbie Hancock all in the same spot, sorted by recorded date.

5. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I like keeping my MMJ separate. 33s in one cube 45s in another. Tone poet separate. Etc blue note next. I keep them in ‘last played’ order so I can keep things in rotation. I have my Miles in a separate cube so those mofi’s mix with the rest of his stuff. It doesn’t make any logical sense.

6. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

For records, I just go alphabetically by artist last name or group name (excluding The).

But it’s kind of an individual thing, so whatever makes intuitive sense to you.

For CDs, I actually separate rock into two matching racks and jazz/blues/classical into another rack. Within each rack, alphabetical like my records.

7. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Mine started as organized by label (AP, Blue Note, BN80, Impulse, MMJ, Tone Poet) and by artist alphabetically within the label. I have moved to an entirely alphabetical by artist organization of my jazz collection. I have 85+ MMJ titles, all the Tone Poets, a hearty collection of AP and nearly all the BN80's as well as original and reissue Impulse and Blue Notes (mostly Liberty era).

Going to all artists alphabetical has helped tremendously when I'm in a 'Grant Green or John Coltrane or Lee Morgan kind of mood'... I can peruse an artist's solo output as leader and make a selection faster and more conveniently. However, I tend to organize titles by date within the artist when I'm actively thinking about date during (re)organizing.

One thing really lacking is having instant cross reference visibility into an artist's entire output, meaning as a leader or as a supporting artist on all titles. I often rely on Discogs when I want to traverse Joe Henderson's entire output, for example.

8. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

There's a nearly complete collection of MMJ (+ others AP, BN, TP) titles for sale on eBay for $12k. It's not too far from my neck of the woods (no affiliation with the seller). Perhaps Elon Musk will grab it? Thread group buy? I haven't done the math yet on price per title.

Edit: Just did the math. It would be ~$104 per MMJ title to reach $12k with all other titles being icing. Plus, all but one MMJ title are sealed.

9. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Sounds like a plan. I’ll throw in a couple hundred bucks. How would we divvy up the spoils, though? ;)

Twinsfan007 likes this.
  10. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I go by label, so all Blue Notes alphabetized. All Impulse together, except for the random Blues title that goes with the Blues, ECM together, Verve together, etc. I keep all of the analog production, MoFi, Sam and VMP together.

This sometimes leads to Thelonius Monk being across four different areas, or Donald Byrd being across a bunch of different sections for example, but I know where I’m going and it works for me. The side benefit is it looks nice on the shelf when all the jackets match, but that’s not why I organize like this.
    I like this method best because it breaks up what, for me, is a massive jazz collection and breaks it into smaller sections.

timzigs likes this.
  11. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

It might be equitable to consider a lottery system with private message horse trading beyond that. I suspect your shipping cost will exceed the LP cost. :|

There are too many duplicates for me to personally participate, unless I buy the whole collection as pure investment for resale. I have 85+ of the 115 titles offered.

SJR likes this.
  12. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

There is a 50-50 chance it’s being sold by music matters as they found every single title behind the couch.

13. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Just imagine! :laugh:

Crazysteve likes this.
  14. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

what do you mean?

15. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

TLDR; MMJ tends to find NOS titles occasionally, but then listed at much higher prices. E.g. My imagination remembering... 5 copies of Wayne Shorter Night Dreamer MMJ45 found sitting inside Stoughton Press, stuffed and ready to sell, but forgotten for 5 years...

16. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

When that happenened for the xyz-th time, many forum members were left with chin-scracthing rashes.

17. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

Oh wow!

18. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

I wish there were SRXs in there

19. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

That would up the ante. Just curious, do you have any, or have you heard any of the SRX titles?

20. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

It sure would! yes. I have a few. One of my grails was Adam’s Apple SRX. It showed up here a couple days ago and I grabbed it. Waiting for it to show up.

21. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Nice! That's a great title. I have the MMJ45. Of the 3 SRX titles I have owned, they were all bettered by 45's, either MMJ or AP. I only kept one of the three. The vast majority of the SRX, I already had as MMJ33 and were early copies - flat, quiet and less than $40 each. Based on my 3 SRX samplings, I didn't see SRX as an upgrade.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  22. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

I would bw interested in going-in on that MMJ Collection!

23. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Looks like it’s gone. I pinged him asking him if it also included all the non MMJ he had in the listing. Also to try and get him to do it off eBay to save on fees (and 10% tax for me)

I do have a lot but would have liked to keep a couple of the high value ones as backups sealed. Not a terrible price, honestly.

24. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

yeah. I have some of them in 45rpm as well. For instance, I have 45rpm of Moanin from AP and the SRX version. Same with midnight blue. I haven’t compared them directly but I’m sure you’re right. I still enjoy putting in a 33 when I’m doing other things. Gives me a little more time before the flip. lol

Aura likes this.
  25. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

Man! I wish we could have organized something here quickly. I would have been down for $3-4k. Would have been knife to split this three ways. Or maybe even two with a cash offer to him Cs through eBay.