Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Nice. I imagine your wallet took a bit of a hit for that.

2. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

It was less than Royal Flush :)

3. Jeffrey Weiss

Jeffrey Weiss Forum Resident

Yeah, I bought the Prestige and Impulse. Will wind up with a few dupes that I already have. I vascilated on the Fantasy but held off. I would have gone for the BN but I have about 20 so will do them individually. I think after seeing what happened with the two recent Craft boxes that I’ve given up hope that AP will ever get to repress these. Who knows? I’ve resigned myself to thinking that this stuff is just going to get harder and harder to come by so I’m picking up high quality pressings when I am able.

bruinuclafan, LivLif and Briskit like this.
  4. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

now, THAT's a nice score - congrats!!

5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Have not hung here in quite sometime, of course MMJ records will always be up there with the best records in my collection (how could they not!). Was just having one heck of a day listening to music and wanted to cap the night off with something I could chill to, but still had a bit of a kick to it. Low and behold, I just happened to stumble into MMJ land and out jumped Ike Quebec's "Blue and Sentimental". Each time I listen to this record, it just keeps getting better and better! The way the soundstage is on this, just makes that sweet spot listen, even more awesome. This is one badass album and then some!

6. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

This has to be a top 5 MMJ for me. My favorite one to play LOUD! Henderson’s sax is so thick I could take a bite out of it.

Also reshuffled my shelf around and out my MMJ at the start, organized by artist then session date. And my Perfect Vinyl Forever order is finally arriving today after over a month delay due to Sleeve City inners being back ordered forever. Had Steve clean all my SRX and One Steps and a few others that were warped (got his warping service)

[​IMG]

7. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I have that same headphone stand! Mine's crooked though and it bugs me lol.

Oh and Basra cooks!!

beyondmiles likes this.
  8. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Focal Aria 906s. Absolutely sensational speakers.

ryu and beyondmiles like this.
  9. nate8907

nate8907 Forum Resident

This is the one that started the MMJ for me. Bought it on a recommendation by another customer in 2017 when my local had it in stock.

Guy: "I can't believe you still have a copy of that MMJ Happenings album in stock! (picks it up) Man this is just amazing (puts it back)."
    Store owner::shrug:
    Me: *snag*

and now I have them all. worst/best decision.

10. nate8907

nate8907 Forum Resident

Guess they vacuumed the couch cushions again.

biodawg, Elofan, Briskit and 2 others like this.
  11. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I miss when this thread was hopping.

I just snagged a copy of Here to Stay at a very reasonable price on Discogs. Can't get enough Freddie Hubbard. Really excited for this one!

I'm also debating what would for certain (I think?) be my final MMJ cart.

John Jenkins & Kenny Burrell
    Sonny Rollins - Vol. 1
    Gil Melle - Patterns in Jazz
    Elvin Jones - Puttin it Together

Other ones I don't own that could be considered are:

J.R. Monterose
    Cliff Craft
    Lou Takes Off
    Swing Swang Swingin'

Dmann201, Dignan2000 and beyondmiles like this.
  12. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Nice! Here to Stay is a fun one. I think you'll be super pleased with the four in your cart right now. I was hesitant for a long while then pulled the trigger and really enjoy them both, especially the Elvin.

I am down to the last 14 titles I need to complete all the unique titles offered in the MMJ catalogue. My priority was all the 45s, then the SRX if it ONLY came in 33 or SRX, then the 33's. I could live with 45 over the SRX. The one exception was Speak No Evil, which I had the SRX of but not the 45 and wasn't going to grab it. Then I found a relatively fair price for it so was able to check that one off.

Funny enough, all of these (except Go, The Feelin's Good, and LD+3) are still available through MMJ. I just had a sour interaction with them my last round so I'd rather give my money elsewhere.

I got my first MMJ with the Herbie Hancock/Grant Green SRX drop on 3/22/20. 13 months, 124 records, and a lot of money later...very close.
    1. Dexter Gordon A Swingin' Affair 45
    2. Dexter Gordon Doin' Allright 45
    3. Dexter Gordon Go! 33
    4. Freddie Hubbard Goin' Up 45
    5. Freddie Hubbard Open Sesame 45
    6. Hank Mobley Another Workout 45
    7. Hank Mobley Hank Mobley Quartet 45
    8. Hank Mobley Quintet 45
    9. Hank Mobley The Feelin's Good 45
    10. Jackie McLean Swing, Swang, Swingin' 45
    11. Johnny Griffin Johnny Griffin, Vol. 2 45
    12. Lee Morgan Candy 45
    13. Lee Morgan Indeed! 45
    14. Lou Donaldson LD+3 45

musictoad likes this.
  13. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I think you're smart for being aggressive in getting these, they will only get more expensive as time goes on. The Freddie's, Mobley's, and Dexter's are all calling for you. Just saying'!

14. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

On the assumption that you have the first four in some form (which could be an erroneous assumption), the must have in the last four is Criss Craft. If you like Lou, then add Lou Takes Off. JR is one I haven’t listened to in years but it’s a great one. I can’t say I’m the biggest Jackie fan so I’m divided about that one.

Dmann201 and musictoad like this.
  15. Cliff Craft and JR Monterose are great, but the only one in your first list I would even consider going without is the Jenkins & Burrell. The other 3 are essential in my book. I wouldn’t consider any of the others essential, so they are interchangeable IMO, but that’s just me.

16. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

& Burrell is damn good. And relatively cheap.
    Jenkins

musictoad likes this.
  17. Oh, absolutely. Just not on the level of Rollins Vol 1, Patterns in Jazz, or Puttin’ it Together. In my opinion, of course.

NorthNY Mark and musictoad like this.
  18. Crazysteve

Agreed

musictoad and Greenmonster2420 like this.
  19. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Have and love them all, but if I had to choose four, I’d probably go....

Sonny
    Gil
    Lou
    Jackie

The Elvin record is excellent but horn, bass and drum trio needs to appeal pretty strongly to take it over a classic like Lou Takes Off.

Swing Swang Swingin’ features some of McLean’s absolutely most beautiful playing. I normally don’t get too excited about standards, but he is simply on fire on this record.

20. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

Just noticed another MMJ “couch find”. Lee Morgan Tom Cat back in stock at the $125 price point. Killer record and pressing for those interested.

MikeJedi likes this.
  21. Crazysteve

I love this company‘s product but their logo should be a middle finger.

22. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

got one of those for $80 back in december

23. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

I paid $100 for it back in January, and I don’t regret it.

24. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

One of my favorites!

MikeJedi and Fender Relic like this.
  25. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Im sitting here listening to Tina Brooks Back to the Tracks ( Classic Records issue ) and this is just such a great record. Each song masterful and infectious melodies.. it occurs to me that without Music Matters, i would not be listening to this ... True Blue was my first or second MM purchase since I didnt know the artist, and I rarely repurchased records I already had cds or records of at this time. ( MM blew that apart for me too).
    I Just wanted to underline how Ron and the boys did a great job of shining a light on lesser known artists or lesser known records of more well known artists. I kinda feel in hindsight now ( perhaps in an odd way ) that their legacy in this aspect is even more important then the revolutionary aspects of how they produced audiophile reissues.

G E, Dignan2000, Dmann201 and 13 others like this.