Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. FWatty

FWatty Collector of Zuni Fetish Dolls

That's what I figured. Thanks for the response.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Solid had one of the inside pictures different.

Edit - Nevermind, solid was a 45

3. Bulsara

Bulsara His Majesty

The hype sticker will be different though as it's black on the SRX. This may be a critical slice of info!

Greenmonster2420 and FWatty like this.
  4. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

I'm with you on Evolution being better - I prefer it. And even better than Evolution is Jackie McLean's Destination...Out. And maybe even better (at least as good) as that is Jackie McLean's One Step Beyond. These are amazing titles and at 45 rpm are simply stunning listening.

5. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

I thank you for this! My wallet curses you.

this_machine and Pushpaw like this.
  6. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Yes, the trio are wonderful both musically and sonically. I rank mine One Step Beyond > Evolution > Destination...Out! It's been a while since I've listened to the DO!, so need to cue it up.

7. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

True Blue is better than Evolution, Destination Out and One Step Beyond combined.

:D

No, but seriously, I really love more adventurous jazz and all three of those albums really delve deep into the abyss. But they also require a sort of "intellectual" state of mind to embrace for me. Evolution, especially. You've got Moncur and McLean, well.... not exactly squeaking and squawking but really pushing the limits at times. McLean has fully embraced his "sharp" era at this point. Overall it's almost more like 20th Century Classical music and I love it for that. Amazingly innovative!

But True Blue? It's music so good it's like oxygen in the room for me. Its moods and textures are at once the most beautiful and sad painting I've ever witnessed. If forced I might choose it over Kind Of Blue. I find some of the melodies positively haunting.

Anselmo, Szabo, jgrillo and 12 others like this.
  8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I have nothing really to add other than if someone were to ask me to pick one album for them to listen to that encapsulates best the spirit of hard bop, True Blue would most likely be my automatic answer (for essentially everything you described which I agree and your description is fantastic).

9. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

That’s basically saying what each one of us thinks is the best BN hard bop album. For me it would be Moanin’.

farewelltransmission likes this.
  10. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

To each their own, right. I actually find it hard to get through True Blue. Why? I really can’t say. I bought it because of the haunting harmonies of the first track. But I don’t really go back to it much. So many MMJ titles that I prefer. Maybe one day it will click for me. I’ll try again soon.

As for the three McLean/Moncur titles, they do venture “out” (probably Evolution most of all) but Destination...Out for example is actually mostly pretty accessible jazz, yes with challenging moments. But it’s always musical and rhythmic. And intensely original.

11. bruinuclafan

I really wish I didn’t miss the boat on so many of the MMJ releases...paying $100+ At retail is just so distasteful, though I keep doing it. I’ve got a few bottles of Karuizawa I could trade for them!

AnalogJ likes this.
  12. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

I find trying to compare True Blue with the Moncur/McLean trilogy an exercise in apples/oranges frustration, in that I think they are each among the very best (and most underrated) examples of their respective subgenres (hard bop and inside-out, respectively).

Vic Trola, Szabo, Dmann201 and 3 others like this.
  13. bruinuclafan

I’m to blame. I bought them at the same time and made a comment about how I enjoyed Evolution more.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  14. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

It is one of my favorite Blue Notes, and the MM mastering is phenomenal!

bruinuclafan likes this.
  15. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

It’s a fair point. My comparison is based solely on enjoyment. And although they are sub genres they are still all jazz titles.

NorthNY Mark and bruinuclafan like this.
  16. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Really bothers me that I don't have One Step Beyond. Like it really bothers me :)

It doesn't seem to pop up for sale very often either.

NorthNY Mark and recstar24 like this.
  17. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

I just recently purchased that one from a reseller. I paid out the nose ($160 USD I think) but I’m happy with it. And the further I travel in my audio journey the more I realize just how darn good the MMJ 45s are. And since they won’t be coming along again, I’ve been pushing myself to get the titles I really want now as they’re only going to get more expensive. And they’re quite simply better than anything else, including the tone poets. The other day I listened to TP of Dexter Gordon’s One Flight Up, which is getting rave reviews as one of best sounding TP releases. Right after it I listened to Destination...Out. And I know it’s not a fair comparison in many ways because different session etc but the MMJ 45 is just way better sonically than the TP (the best sounding TP possibly). For serious listening there is nothing that tops the MMJ 45s in my book.
    Good luck in your search!

AnalogJ, Jellis77 and NorthNY Mark like this.
  18. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

There are a handful of titles that are the usual ones for sale on Discogs and eBay, and One Step Beyond isn't one of those... my sense is that one went to collectors rather than resellers.

19. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

The AP 45 Blue Notes are in the same league as well, which you'd might expect since they are mastered by some of the same guys. :)

AnalogJ, NorthNY Mark and Pushpaw like this.
  20. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Yes good point - and some of those are more affordable. Like Maiden Voyage for example. Still crazy expensive though.

21. bruinuclafan

Can I ask you all for input on the following list of potential purchases (all 45s)?
    Lou Donaldson: Lou Takes Off
    Donald Byrd: The Cat Walk
    Chris Fuller: The Opener
    John Jenkins: With Kenny Burrell
    Jackie McLean: Destination...Out (this one is for sure given the recent discussion).

22. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

The Cat Walk is in a long list of essential Byrd recordings, but you should probably own anything with Byrd and Pepper Adams.

Mark J, Bobsblkwax and bruinuclafan like this.
  23. Pushpaw

Pushpaw Forum Resident

Do you already have Byrd in Hand? That one is phenomenal and surprisingly still available.

24. bruinuclafan

No I don't. I'll add it to my list!

25. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Highest recommendation for this one.

I'd give it priority over all the others.

:agree:

FunkJazz and bruinuclafan like this.