Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  2. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Eh I had that snagged a long time ago :)

3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Looks like Music Matters could keep prices constant and sell out quickly, leaving the market for their goods to speculators. Or they could do what they’ve done, raise prices steadily as stock dwindles so they can cut speculators out of the market for their products and (hopefully) make enough money to keep their business going longer term. Seems there are people waiting for their records to go out of stock so they can cash in.

BendBound likes this.
  4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I don't buy it. That's not what they're in business for. They're not a subsidiary of Standard and Poors.

scotth likes this.
  5. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

No Hank Mobley, Sonny Clark, Donald Byrd or Freddie Hubbard title made the list?

6. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

E
    Except they keep repressing and then lowering the prices a little after it is back in stock. What's up with that? Obviously that will stop eventually, but still.

7. Gabe Walters

I certainly like those, but they’re not my favorites, and my list was long enough already.

Hank Mobley - Workout
    Sonny Clark - Leapin’ and Lopin’ (though most would probably say Cool Struttin’. I also really like Sonny’s Crib.)
    Donald Byrd - Royal Flush
    Freddie Hubbard - Here to Stay

Better?

recstar24 and btf1980 like this.
  8. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

That's an interesting thought. If it is the case, I wonder what sort of sales and revenue numbers would be required to license and issue another round of titles. I also wonder if there are investors involved who are part of these decisions.

Have there been any titles that return to the original $40 price lately? Genuinely curious, I feel like they did that early on but these days I've only seen titles come back at around $54 and then climb from there. It makes me wonder if the profit margins from doing that are worth it over volume sales.

9. Gabe Walters

To me, that’s the lesser defensible practice they do. They’re the only ones in a position to know whether they will repress titles, and it’s a bummer to raise prices, sell through stock, only to bring more inventory back in at a lower price. It’s one thing to raise prices as stock dwindles. It’s another to sell to someone at $80 one day, and to someone else at $60 the next. I’d hate to be the guy who bought at $80.

But even so, they’re still just records.

recstar24, scotth and mikeyt like this.
  10. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

No explanation necessary. Was just curious. :cheers:

Gabe Walters likes this.
  11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

None have dropped back to $40 that I’ve seen since I started tracking them. Wouldn’t mind if Speak No Evil or Workout dropped, I’d love those two but current prices are rough.

scotth, mikeyt and AnalogJ like this.
  12. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

If you're in the NYC area and have some holes in your MM collection, you should swing by Jazz Record Center. They still have some 45 rpm titles for retail, or for $5 above retail when I was there last week. I think I saw Lou Takes Off for under retail ($45 I think). Also saw a few 33 rpm titles for $39.99.

recstar24, 2xUeL and Gabe Walters like this.
  13. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Sure, the music is good. I'd love to have the Blue Mitchell as a standalone title.

Fender Relic likes this.
  14. Gabe Walters

Oh, I’m not mad, didn’t mean to convey any hostility.

I have all the titles MM released and several more Blue Notes from other labels, and like I say above, I consider just about all of it essential. Picking a short list is rough, but when I do force myself to choose, I come down to post-bop more than hard bop.

rxcory, mikeyt and btf1980 like this.
  15. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I'll keep an eye out at my local spots. If I find them I'll pick them up and let you know, they're usually very reasonably priced.

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  16. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

No hostility conveyed.

I've been listening to titles that I hadn't listened to in a while. Sometimes I forget how good some of these records are (and how young these guys were when they recorded them!)

I've been on a Donald Byrd kick these last few weeks, and I've been revisiting a lot of his mid to late 50s and early 60s work, not just on Blue Note, but on Transition records, and the stuff he recorded in Paris reissued on Sam Records.

The power of Byrd's horn on Clarion Calls is something to marvel at.

AaronW, nosliw, Gabe Walters and 4 others like this.
  17. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Don't think so, I wish.

18. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

Probably it will, since the glitches of distortion are in the mastertapes. I had the diskunion mono version which also has this 'glitch' but less pronounced , probably because it's mono...

rxcory likes this.
  19. guidedbyvoices

I listened to my copy just now. I hear a little distortion on the last cymbal bit of Weaver if that’s what you mean by glitch. I have an mp3 version I compared and they seem to fade it or master it differently so the cymbal isn’t prominent on that hit. I didn’t notice anything on Crisis. There’s nothing on the MM33 that bothers me or jumps out at me, or would cause me to have buyers remorse.

20. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

Its' more in Freddie's trumpet (distortion) ; I found a message that I sent 5 years ago to Ron, he replaced the vinyl but no real answer where did it come from...
    ==> Weaver of Dreams: The glitches starts when the music changes in speed (after +/- 2minutes), about 6 or 7 glitches often when Freddie's tone becomes louder and higher....
    so check your copy please let me know if you know what I mean...

21. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

Oh that doesn't very Vangelder stamped to me dawg- you should see what I have: legit red vinyl 45 rpm blue note, Vangelder stamped. (Kenny Dorham Mamacita pts 1&2)

22. guidedbyvoices

Just played it again. I don’t hear anything in Freddie’s tone that sounds like a glitch or distortion. I have a very modest system and I’m no audiophile expert, but I just don’t hear anything like your mentioning. So I think you’ll be good.

One of my favorite things about MM’s is how trumpets sound warm and real, and not bright and piercing. Love Freddie’s sound on this.

ceynon likes this.
  23. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I have noticed this distortion on Ready for Freddie. I will be sending it back for a replacement copy, so I’m hoping the next one is better. The distortion is most prominent on the last track of the second side. Only disappointment I’ve had with the MM so far.

24. Ben Toscano

Ben Toscano Forum Resident

That's what I'm talking about. Like I said, it's most prominent on "Crisis" (last track on 2nd side). Bothered me at first but I learned to live with it.

25. guidedbyvoices

I just played Crisis. I just don’t hear any distortion on anything on it. Is it possible it would affect some copies but not all? I just got the 33 in a few weeks ago. If it’s on my copy then thankfully my ears can’t detect it.