Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Just spun that one tonight.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  2. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I've been back and forth on Congregation so thanks for the nudge. I just received my latest shipment of One Step Beyond, Gooden's Corner, Juju, and Look Out!

Do any of you have moments of pure sonic euphoria when you cue up a new MMJ 45 record for the first time? This happened at the drop of One Step Beyond,...man, the clarity and openness of the music coming out of my speakers was astonishing!

3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I've long said One Step Beyond is one of the sonic delights of the series. Bobby Hutcherson just rings out.

4. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I recently got Street of Dreams, Juju, The Night Dreamer, and Freedom. Been out of town so haven't had a chance to listen to them yet. Can't wait.

5. SpeedracerF

SpeedracerF Forum Resident

Okay Music Matters lovers, I need your help. I'm planning a big order (only way to make the shipping to Europe palatable on a per record price). Currently I'm about $100 over budget and need help choosing which ones to drop. There is a couple of records I'm certainly getting, but a few I'm still in doubt over. Basically I can divide the records I'm still debating into two price groups. One is 35-40 and one is 60. I need to drop one more expensive record and one cheaper record to get on budget.

Cheap ($35-40)
    Donald Byrd - The Cat Walk
    Elvin Jones - Puttin' It Together
    Dizzy Reece - Star Bright
    Johnny Griffin - The Congregation

Expensive (60)
    Grant Green - Solid (SRX)
    Hank Mobley - Quintet (SRX)

Is there any of these I can skip for now, for whatever reason? Perhaps there are other good pressings of some of these titles that are readily available or maybe the sonics on one of these is relatively lacking (for Music Matters standards)? Or maybe one or two of these sessions musically don't hold up to the others?

Any help would be appreciated!

6. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Just on opinion and my taste I'd drop GG-Solid and Johnny Griffin.

SpeedracerF likes this.
  7. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I would choose by your personal tastes. Me, I would skip Hank Mobley Quintet and Star Bright for now.

SpeedracerF likes this.
  8. Cat walk and Congregation are essential in my book. Honestly, out of the 6, I would ditch the two SRX titles as they have a better chance of being around for a while and also have 45rpm counterparts, so your chance of finding them down the line is much better. Personally, I would ditch those two and replace with another $40-$50 45rpm title.

9. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Just don’t ditch The Cat Walk. That is a great steal at the moment and worth every penny.

SpeedracerF and recstar24 like this.
  10. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I just got mine as a MM 45. Does the second half of this album have a problem with the tape?
    I can hear buzzing that plays with the surface noise. Its not the grooves I dont think as its not there at all between tracks.
    One of the reasons I might be able to hear it easier is because I still dont have a mono switch.

11. Leonthepro

I have it too on my sides 3 and 4. Try using a stereo signal instead of mono, that might help in hearing it.

12. Leonthepro

Did you perhaps sell your copy or do you still have it?

13. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I still have it and there is definitely a buzzing tone throughout the recording. I know others have said they don’t hear it, but it’s there. My guess is that it’s part of the recording as I’ve heard that similar issues exist on other recordings around this time period.

Leonthepro likes this.
  14. Leonthepro

Do you have a mono switch or do you listen in stereo?

15. SpeedracerF

SpeedracerF Forum Resident

Thanks all for giving me advice! Although everyone had a different opinion :laugh:

Think this is what I'll go for. From my listening to these records, the Mobley one left the biggest doubt and I already have tons of Grant Green stuff, so I can do without Solid.

16. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Somewhat off-topic, but could anyone comment on the sound quality of the Japan King version of Kenny Burrell’s Freedom, or compare to the MM version? Thanks.

17. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I do have a mono switch and I think it happened in both modes on my system but I would have to relisten to make sure. Like I said I think it's on the tape and may be more noticable in stereo (either from your cart or system setting).

Leonthepro likes this.
  18. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

Just made a large MM order hoovering up all the sub 40 dollar titles. Even then with international postage etc it’s not that cheap.

Fender Relic likes this.
  19. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

The postage is a nightmare. Sometimes exceeds the cost of the actual records.

Nitrous and Leonthepro like this.
  20. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Finally getting around to spinning my new acquisitions.

I listened to Street of Dreams a few days ago and it was just as good as I imagined it would be. It's going to be a go to for a chill relaxing listen.

Spinning Freedom now and I immediately consider this a must have. The sound just shimmers. I love the different percussion (bongos? congas? not sure) and Kenny just oozes cool. Plus you get bang for your buck by getting 9(!) tracks spanning all sorts of different styles. It's such a unique flavor of jazz so it stands out. I know I say this often but Freedom is amongst the best sounding of the MMJs I own. Crystal clear instrument speration, deep deep bass (but not muddy or bloated), crisp highs, shimmering and full mids... pure Bliss.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Dmann201, timzigs, blutiga and 2 others like this.
  21. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Congas. Bongos are smaller and have a higher pitch.

Great to read your review!

timzigs and mikeyt like this.
  22. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Need help getting over the free shipping hump -- which one should I go with?

Catwalk
    Dial S
    Real McCoy

Fender Relic likes this.
  23. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Real easy....Real McCoy.:uhhuh:

Stu02, timzigs, Gabe Walters and 2 others like this.
  24. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I just got real McCoy and love it. The other two are good but Real McCoy would be my pick.

JorgeGvb, blutiga and timzigs like this.
  25. ryu

ryu Forum Resident

Real McCoy is a killer record.