Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

Has anyone made an educated guess as to what titles MM might press in 2020?

2. indiana45s

indiana45s Forum Resident

Just speculation but we are more likely to see out of print 33 rpm titles pressed on SRX. On Facebook there was a confirmation that Blue Train is being repressed and will be released “soonish.” I imagine others will come at the same time?

spacecoyote likes this.
  3. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

No idea, but a little birdie told me they would be priced through the same method government contractors sell hammers and bolts and healthcare to Uncle Sam.

Lucca90 likes this.
  4. Probably no new titles only extensions in 33 of titles they’ve already done in 45.

TP probably gets first dibs on titles now.

5. spacecoyote

That much I figured, I was just wondering what titles they’d repress on the SRX.

Mazzy likes this.
  6. spacecoyote

The only guess so far that I could make is Art Blakey’s “The Big Beat”.

7. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Has anyone compared the Blue Note 80 reissues to MM? Not necessarily title to title, just curious how they generally compare.

8. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Maiden Voyage has been listed as out of stock on their site for quite some time. Is there some other way to get it?

Crazysteve likes this.
  9. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Yes , I figured out another method but it has its downside. [​IMG]

Elofan and timzigs like this.
  10. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

I posted needle drops from the BN80 Introducing Johnny Griffin and the MM SRX version in this thread a few months back. More recently, I posted Art Blakey Indestructible BN80 vs MMJ45. Although some nuance may well have been lost through the signal chain of getting it from my analog to your ears by way of a few digital interfaces, most people didn't hear a huge difference.

mikeyt likes this.
  11. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Hub-Tones, In ‘n’ Out and Inventions and Dimensions are all markedly superior on Music Matters. All three on BN80 have significant flutter problems. The last song on the latter title being absolutely unlistenable, IMO.

I was going to get Indestructible but I’m happy with my MM33 and given how many of the BN80 and Tone Poet titles are struggling with these speed problems I haven’t bothered.

Doin’ Allright is the only BN80 title I thought sounded as good or better than its MM counterpart.

So in answer to your question; how do they generally compare? Not well, IMO.

12. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. I saw Fremer's review of Doin' Alright, and he had very favorable things to say but I guess it's the outlier. My local shop has Inventions and Dimensions so I thought of picking it up since I missed on the MM. I'll skip it though.

recstar24 likes this.
  13. To be fair, the pitch variations are not bothersome to (or even noticed by) a lot of people. Many people are giving the series rave reviews.

From a mastering perspective, they compare very well, with KG working his usual magic. If there’s a title you’re thinking about I’d suggest picking it up and seeing for yourself. Amazon is probably better than a local though, you can return it if you decide against it

Admerr, spacecoyote and Morbius like this.
  14. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I'd rather support my local shops. If I end up with an LP I don't like I usually pass it off to a friend, sell in the classifieds here, or trade it back later in for a loss. Money's tight these days though, but I don't mind waiting until a MM pops up at a decent price somewhere. They usually do w/ some patience and luck.

15. That Herbie is great. Latin influences. .

spacecoyote, Crazysteve and mikeyt like this.
  16. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Yes, Doin' Alright BN80 compared similarly with the MMJ when I A/B'd. Can't say the same for Inventions and Dimensions though -- the MMJ has better depth and clarity.

Greenmonster2420 and mikeyt like this.
  17. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

One of my favorite titles. I held a used MM 45 some years ago at one of my local shops but regretfully passed on it then.

18. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

The consensus on the BN80s seems to be that, if you can't hear the pitch instability, they are lovely. Here's a link to the most egregious section of Inventinos and Dimensinos. If it sounds good to you, I would absolutely snap up a copy.

Here's a needle drop of A Jump Ahead

19. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

It’s a helluva a record! I enjoy it, and for $22 it’s even more incredible. Do as you wish but it’s an experience. I don’t quite understand what’s going on these parts.

Mazzy likes this.
  20. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I just spent a week in Ecuador and can attest to that. Great travel record wherever you go. :)

Crazysteve, Mazzy and mikeyt like this.
  21. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Definitely passing on it. Thanks a lot.

Vic Trola, AaronW and recstar24 like this.
  22. Too bad. I’d at least try it yourself at Amazon. If you don’t like it then return it. 50/50 shot

23. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Yup - it’s pretty bad. At least you had a chance to hear a sample of it for yourself, saving money is never a bad thing.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

And it should, being a double 12" 45rpm.

25. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

If ever the 33 vs 45 argument was less relevant than what is going on with titles released by MM and titles released by BN80, I can’t think of when.