Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

Looking over the list again of 33’s on the MMJ site, there are quite a few that are “out of stock”, so I imagine any of those are candidates for an SRX repress.

Hopefully they go a little deeper in to the older 45’s and remaster a few of those for 33. If there’s room left on their licensing agreement, of course. Or better still, spin off a few 45 SRX titles.

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Why do you say that?

3. spacecoyote

Oh god, please don’t.

mikeyt, Stu02 and timzigs like this.
  4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yikes. Something is definitely wrong there.

Vic Trola and mikeyt like this.
  5. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

I’d really love a copy of Soothsayer on 33rpm SRX.

mpayan and guidedbyvoices like this.
  6. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Happenings for me.

Vic Trola, Tlay, mikeyt and 3 others like this.
  7. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Yeah that’s number two on my list.

8. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Soothsayer for sure, and I'd love a 33 SRX of Street of Dreams. Its an album that I like to listen to around the house, cooking a big meal, mixing drinks, which doesn't lend itself well to the 45 flipping.

B-Mike and Bryce like this.
  9. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Not to get the thread further off topic but since the issue was raised here I'll comment on it.

I missed the boat on the MMJ 2 x 45 of Inventions and Dimension, by the time I got around to it that ship had sailed so I was pleased to read that it was being remastered for the Blue Note 80th series. I picked it up at Music Direct's most recent 15% off jazz sale for $21.24 along with Cal Massey's Blues To Coltrane and Miroslav Vitous' Infinite Search.

In keeping with the quality of pressing Optimal Media is capable of the pressing was clean, flat, perfectly centered and the music emerged crystal clear from a silent background. It is obvious that this is one of Van Gelder's better piano recordings, the highs crisp and clean and the percussion and drum sounds though not as intense as you might hear on an MMJ or Tone Poet were sharp and impactful. The bass on Mimosa seems a little wooly at times but there are some sustained piano notes at the beginning of the track that sound typical of what you hear on most tape sourced analog mastering these days.

Considering this record is claimed to be all analog and is mastered by Kevin Grey and sourced from the Blue Note library I think its $21 well spent. I had been staying away from the most recent Blue Note offerings because of my bad experience with surface noise on the first six Tone Poets I purchased but for Inventions and Dimensions this was my first Blue Note 80th and I'm sure I'll buy another one.

Dmann201, mikeyt and spacecoyote like this.
  10. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I guess I view it differently.

Unless someone has a fetish for buying only new vinyl which cannot be conquered, there are just too many reissues of Inventions and Dimensions out there to think the only other option is the MM 45.

Even if money is an issue, one could buy a ‘70s reissue for 10-15 bucks that won’t have you thinking Hancock has a whammy bar on his piano.

For anyone who hears flutter, the BN80 is just plain unacceptable. The degree to which it is a problem is beyond reason, IMO. But some folks don’t seem to mind it and we all hear differently.

Vic Trola and mikeyt like this.
  11. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

What's the infinite search about at music direct? My old copy is really worn did someone just reissue it?

12. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

If you have to spend $25 on a 'New' copy, the Heavenly Sweetness re. (though not an AAA issue) was more than sufficient for 90% of listeners.

13. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

heavenly sweetness I swore was AAA just from a tape copy.

I found one at a store a few months back but were wanting $40 for it. I passed, the BN80 is more than sufficient for $20 and some warbling.

mikeyt likes this.
  14. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I had a copy and it was well pressed and sounded really good.

But, since they don't reveal sources I just assume that they are using something other than Analog Cutting from the Masters.

The Harold Vick - Steppin' Out also sounded great...and that is an LP I can never seem to bump into.

I think they were $35 or so, new in local shops. But I have seen them in NM used condition around $25 a few times.

Chris Bernhardt, recstar24 and mikeyt like this.
  15. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I have the MM and love it so I’m just trying to throw out ideas for others who don’t.

If I didn’t have the MM I’d probably just grab one of the numerous old reissues on Discogs. I&D was pressed quite a lot and also reissued under the title Succotash. Some of the ‘70s Blue Note repressings can be on the noisy side, but I’d personally rather know I am getting AAA and after a good cleaning just live with it until something better comes along. Digital vinyl holds no interest for me personally unless it is some super rare record where I’d have to spend hundreds to get it in analog. Of course, ymmv.

mikeyt likes this.
  16. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Agreed w/ the sentiment. If one enjoys it, great. But I have the old CD and it sounds fine, so I have no reason to spend $20 on a warbly LP. I'll wait until a MM or Van Gelder original pop up (or both) for decent deals as they always do.

recstar24 likes this.
  17. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

It's on Pure Pleasure and I think its been out for a while, I've recently become interested in Vitous after hearing him as a sideman (somewhere?) and picking up Miroslav Vitous Group on ECM.

Vic Trola and Mugrug12 like this.
  18. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I guess I could dig around in used record shops for hours on end and take a chance on a $10-15 previously issued version and end up with something unlistenable do to excessive surface noise and repeat the process over and over in hopes of getting a good one and wind up with a bunch of $10-15 copies I can't get rid of. Or I could by a recent reissue from one of several reputable vendors who will replace it if I have a problem or offer me something else or even refund my money if I can't get satisfaction. One of those vendors just recently refunded the price with shipping of the newly reissued New Bottle Old Wine and State of The Tenor because they were noisy and I didn't want to take a chance on replacement with no questions asked! So if used is your thing knock yourself out.

19. Mugrug12

Nice! he's amazing. I have the American version of infinite search which was remixed and retitled mountain in the clouds for some reason. I must grab the pure pleasure one as mine is a little too beat. I wonder which mix they used?

Morbius likes this.
  20. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

You make buying records sound complicated. You know about Discogs, eBay.... all of these great tools we have now?

I find it fun. Just a difference in attitude, I guess. I buy new or used. Makes no difference. I’m a record collector and since the advent of the internet that has only become easier and easier.

mikeyt and Mazzy like this.
  21. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I was trying to think of where I heard Vitous, it was Now He Sings Now He Sobs.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  22. Mugrug12

If you're a fan of this great tone poet record then you should get "trio music" on ECM. Same band and clean copies are easy/cheap to find.
    Disc one is free improv so it might not be your cup of tea but the second disc is all Monk covers and btw they're real and they're spectacular. My favorite Monk covers project and a desert island album for me!

Vic Trola, Morbius and mikeyt like this.
  23. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I saw Chick last Friday here in Toronto and he did several Monk covers. A respectful hommage but then extended improve.

DeRosa, mikeyt and Mugrug12 like this.
  24. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I think I misunderstood what you were saying. Were you saying with the current reproduction issues, that 33 v. 45 is sort of irrelevant (like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic)?

25. spacecoyote

No, not at all. Any conversation that produces an outcome that adds to the collective wisdom of the community is great. My meaning was somewhat sarcastic, as I was hoping that this thread didn’t get bogged down with some of the obtuse negativity that seems to follow any discussion where Tone Poet and BN80 reissues are introduced to a dialogue.

Mazzy and mikeyt like this.