Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

You guys are killing me...$24, $70 for the complete BN Herbie Nichols set??? Cheapest I've seen is $160 which was a few weeks ago on Ebay. I can be patient, but I don't have a lifetime. :waiting:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  2. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

Only thing that bothers me about MM is I bought Horace Parlan Happy Frame of Mind literally 2 days ago at 54.95 due to the limited copies available. Today it is 74.95. I guess I'm glad I bought it but a $20 price increase two days after I buy it just based on maybe there are even less copies now? I guess we live in a capitalist society and if demand is there for it I guess what can you say. I paid 99 for the Joe Henderson because I wanted it so bad, but I do almost feel guilty buying from price gougers.

SJR and PATB like this.
  3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

MisterBritt, rxcory and mikeyt like this.
  4. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I’ve mentioned this before about how I speculated the website is using some kind of auto pricing program algorithm that changes prices based on inventory, and I feel like this is proof of that. Like you said, I think at this point with what may be limited inventory, I’m not sure if they need to continue doing so, or if they are using a pricing program, to switch it over to manual control.

Ron Jones likes this.
  5. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

It's probably not some sophisticated thing. It's just code that reads the quantity and adjusts the price.

if (quantity < 20 && quantity >= 10) price = 74.95;

if (quantity < 10) price = 99.95;

if (quantity < 2) price = "one million dollars";

SJR, Admerr, mikeyt and 5 others like this.
  6. i think they’re too small a company to have this for pricing. I mean; two people answer the friggen phone and ones’s the partner.

Vic Trola and Cervelo like this.
  7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

@Starquest did a better job of actually explaining what I think is at work.

8. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Giving The Cape Verdean Blues 45 a spin this afternoon. Man this one sounds so big and lively. Especially after the peppy (almost too peppy) opener it really settles into itself nicely. "The African Queen" is one of my favorite tracks in the whole series. It's a great album to crank up and let it wash over. If you don't have this one you are missing out. I haven't heard the 33 but I strongly suspect this is one where the 45 treatment really shines. The soundstage is a mile wide and the dynamics are through the roof.

timzigs, Bryce and recstar24 like this.
  9. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

In some ways I actually enjoy this title musically more than song for my father.

timzigs, Bryce and musictoad like this.
  10. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

One of my favorite records.

I have both. The 33 is VERY similar in this case. It adds just a hair more top and seems a touch more open and alive. I'd probably take the 33 if forced to choose.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    mikeyt, PATB and musictoad like this.
  11. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Speaking of Silver (one of my absolute favorite jazz pianists ever), I had a chance to shoot out the Classic 33 and MM45 of Stylings Of Silver tonight.

This is one of those early MM monos where I think the bass is a bit much. The Classic has a bit more top but it is very reasonable and while the bass is also very big it doesn't dominate. Along with Lou Takes Off, I think I've found a second case where I prefer a Classic to a MM. Others may hear it differently. Here's a sample from both....

Horace Silver - The Stylings Of Silver
    Classic 33 (sample)
    Horace Silver - The Stylings Of... CLASSIC 33 - Clyp

Horace Silver - The Stylings Of Silver
    MM 45 (sample)
    Horace Silver - The Stylings Of Silver MM45 - Clyp

12. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I already kinda feel it's a pretty bright record so I'm glad I have the 45 if the 33 is more toppy.

13. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The 45 is great. Absolutely excellent.

But the difference in top end on the 33 is so small that it might arguably be more about Cohearant vs. Acoustech in terms of how they extract detail. The 33 just has that Cohearant sound to it that I'm not sure Acoustech typically quite matched, but these two are ridiculously similar and IMO not worth worrying about. Either one will do.

musictoad likes this.
  14. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I like the MM 45 much better...smooth.

15. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Cool.

Yeah, maybe that’s another thing. I don’t typically think of the mono era of Blue Note as smooth.

But I do like the top end on the MM a lot. The bass is just too much for me, however. The Classic isn’t exactly light on bass so I’m not exactly sure what the goal was on the MM. I guess getting some deeper bass on there was the idea but gee wiz....

16. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I just put on my MM copy of Stylings and there is definitely a lot of bass there. Fortunately my speakers and room can handle bass heavy recordings but I can see how a system that can’t could be overwhelmed by this LP. It isn’t the best sounding MM but still very nice.

17. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

For me it’s about taste. Both of my systems “handle” (o_O) the bass just fine. No distortion. Nice and deep and very clear.

It’s just not in balance. Grundman got this one right, IMO. Keep in mind part of the reason MM made a change in their team in 2010 was supposedly because of a disagreement regarding how much bass boost and treble roll off should be going on with these titles. Stylings of Silver certainly makes that account of why the change was made seem believable to me, but in the end I’m glad to own both as I don’t have an OG of Stylings of Silver.

mikeyt likes this.
  18. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

I wasn’t referring to your system.

Sorry you don’t like my use of “handle.”

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  19. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Spinning Byrd in Hand right now. The Cat Walk had been my favorite of the two Byrds I own but man this is one sweet album. Pepper is such a treat to hear. And can I just say, Byrd's albums have some of the sweetest looking cover art. They just pop!

What's my favorite MMJ? The last one I listened to, tyvm.

20. I love the track “Here Am I” off of that record. Pepper’s tone is awesome.

Rob Zarzecki and musictoad like this.
  21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

All of the Byrd MM’s are excellent. That era of Byrd IMO was so freaking consistent.

musictoad likes this.
  22. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Now it's into my favorite of the series, Midnight Blue. Aaaahhhhhh

SJR and AllenR like this.
  23. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Guys, I've been trying to remain content with my Classics version of Byrd in Hand so please quit talking it up :sweating:

Haven't seen many comments on Indeed, but think I'm gonna splurge since Morgan was something like 18 when he recorded it...remarkable!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    musictoad likes this.
  24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

sorry friend, but Byrd in Hand just sounds so fresh and alive. The growl in Pepper’s tone is unreal.

timzigs and musictoad like this.
  25. robd2

robd2 Well-Known Member

+1. 33s please