Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

On some of the older SRX releases there is a check you can put for them to email when back in stock and a add to cart option which tells me possibly some may come back (hopefully). To me that is a good sign :)

2. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Looking to possibly pick up Moanin SRX as it may be an improvement on my regular MM 33. Not sure if I should pull the trigger on Blue Train SRX as I am not sure it is a large improvement over the regular 33 I have. Maybe because of what I have been reading on here ;)

3. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Spun Hank Mobley Quartet 45 over coffee this morning and forgot how good this thing sounded. Has some great tunes and a surprisingly open and smooth presentation for a mono record. Perfect way to start the day.

Stu02 and mpayan like this.
  4. ncstickman

ncstickman Forum Resident

I also stumbled through Waterloo yesterday and (at that time) they also had one copy each of Song for My Father and Sonny Rollins Vol 1 available. Last time i looked, those were also out of stock as well. Of course, someone may have scooped them up after i left.

beverett likes this.
  5. beverett

beverett Forum Resident

Hayes may have found a couple in the back. He told me he was going to poke around. :)

ncstickman likes this.
  6. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

There is not going to be any “large” improvement. It’s the same MM 33 stampers; just pressed to SRX.

Even as a big fan of the SRX formula, I would describe improvements as minimal and likely not to even be all that perceptible to the average listener.

MikeJedi and John Boy like this.
  7. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I have five of the 33s being reissued on SRX. I listened to blue train, and using a mono switch, I just can’t see the SRX making it worth a double dip. Still debating Idle Moments as it’s my favorite. Otherwise I think I’ll stick to what I have and aim for other titles while they’re still in stock. Even then I’m running out of those I want for the prices that remain.

8. Not sure why anyone double dips on these when they all sound fantastic.

Maybe the 33/45 thing but I’d trade all my 45s for 33s any day despite the incremental benefit of a 45.

rpd likes this.
  9. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I think surface noise is the more likely reason to upgrade. Some of my MM 33s are a little more noisy then I would have liked for the cost but not bad enough for me personally to upgrade them to SRX. (I could sell my originals but its harder to reap profit when shipping from Canada. )

Mazzy likes this.
  10. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

dman23, Joti Cover, johnpisme and 7 others like this.
  11. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

dman23, Joti Cover, johnpisme and 3 others like this.
  12. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I can't remember who recommended this one, but thanks! An underrated classic by the rhythmic king — Elvin Jones is a drumming beast . . .

[​IMG]
    1971/2011 Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MMBST-84369, Blue Note ‎– BST 84369
    2 × Vinyl, LP, 45 RPM, Limited Edition, Reissue, 180gm, Gatefold Jacket — KPG@ATM

13. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

Unfortunately this copy is tarnished with clicking in ‘Penelope’ and a slight skip in ‘ Toy Tune.’ Unusual for this series. Haven’t gone thru UMG for exchanges yet. Hoping it will be relatively painless?

14. periclimenes

periclimenes Forum Resident

Moanin SRX appears to be out of stock.

johnpisme likes this.
  15. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Damn. That's the only one I really want.

GentleSenator likes this.
  16. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Oops. With only 500 of each of these, they aren't gonna last long. Lesson for everyone here, if there's a title you want you better order as soon as it's available.

17. drkNRG

drkNRG Forum Resident

We *should* have a few Moanin’ come back in stock over time but yes they are both going very fast. We are also seeing a lot of people signing up for email notifications for when the other titles become available.

stenway, MisterBritt, timzigs and 4 others like this.
  18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Hey guys, what's the general consensus on these titles? I've not heard them but they all feature great line-ups and are pretty cheap. Any of them worth picking up?

Bud Powell — The Scene Changes 33
    Dizzy Reece — Star Bright 45
    Louis Smith — Smithville 45

spacecoyote likes this.
  19. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

Absolutely. The Dizzy Reece title is especially surprising. It was due to this album that I sought out other BN titles under his leadership.

Morbius and SJR like this.
  20. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

will they be offered at a higher price? Still competitive but higher?

21. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

Higher than 75??
    :shake::shake:

22. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Why would you ask this? :doh:

23. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

24. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

for budget purposes