Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Gimme' Royal Flush 33 SRX!

Elofan, wellers73, timzigs and 2 others like this.
  2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Then I'm not sure it's non-fill if it's happening every revolution. I think we need to confirm this with a cutting engineer.

3. Why would that keep it from being non fill? It sounds identical to every case I’ve ever heard and resembles exactly what is shown in pictures.

mikeyt likes this.
  4. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

You can get work done while listening to these? :) I try, but when the side ends, I realize that I was sucked into the music and haven't got anything done!

In a way, the 45s are therefore better with work, as I get snapped out of my reverie more often! :D But neither really works well as background for me.

Aeryn Sun likes this.
  5. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

When it follows the groove ("string of pearls"), that's more properly called "stitching", and it's caused by some of the vinyl pulling away with the stamper.

"Non-fill" occurs in patches (often described as "orange peel") and is usually at the start or end of a side.

(This was conveyed to me by someone who worked in QA at a prominent pressing plant.)

This picture could be either, being in patches at the end of the side, but the way it follows the groove would make me say that it's just a really bad case of stitching, where a whole area pulled away.

6. AnalogJ

Because non-fill happens after dynamic passages. I have never encountered non-fill that is repetitive and consistent.

7. Do they sound the same?

Mugrug12 likes this.
  8. Could be what @GeraldB referred to as “stitching” above. Regardless, it seems to be a matter of semantics. The results on the discs I’ve encountered were the same as non-fill (if that’s not what it was) - a tearing sound.

NorthNY Mark and mikeyt like this.
  9. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Yup. The few instances where I had to return a MM LP, my first Idle Moments and Blue & Sentimental, had small spots of the "pearls". It wasn't nearly as bad as that previous photo, they were just short spots, but they were definitely audible as the zipper sound.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  10. gov

gov Forum Resident

I mean I'm not a cutting engineer but it's pretty straightforward as best I can tell. Until I experienced it I never saw it either. Plus the label said it was non-fill from the photo.

As noted above, maybe not. Either way, not happening for the money spent ;)

Interestingly, I have seen it more recently than in the past for some reason. My RSD Dylan had it, MoFi onestep, an AP 45 rpm and a resonance records reissue.

mikeyt likes this.
  11. AnalogJ

As Steve Hoffman has said, it's a rare on a 45. I have never encountered one with non-fill. My MM 33 of Maiden Voyage had it, and two attempts at replacement copies exhibited the same. I never got a copy without it. That was at time when MM claimed that non-fill wasn't a thing that was a factor. Years ago. Recently, they've been more sensitive to issues with individual copies.

gov likes this.
  12. gov

gov Forum Resident

I’ll need to check my own maiden voyage and report back. Can’t say I’ve noticed it.

I’ll try and snap a pic of the other 45 I just got from AP.

13. My 45rpm of Rumours has a split second during “Dreams” with (what sounds like) non fill.

14. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Inspired by discussion over the past week or so — I can’t remember who asked, but this 45RPM pressing is fantastic and well worth the investment.

It sounds great and looks cool too! . . .

[​IMG]
    1960/2008 Music Matters Ltd. ‎– MMBST 84041
    KPG@SH@ATM

15. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

RZangpo2, MikeJedi, Dmann201 and 8 others like this.
  16. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

RZangpo2, MikeJedi, Dmann201 and 7 others like this.
  17. Anselmo

Anselmo Forum Resident

After this photo you will find it difficult to offer better ... :)

He will also be wondering: 45 or 33 ..45 or 33 45 or 33 ....

SJR likes this.
  18. Anselmo

Anselmo Forum Resident

Instead I ask you an off topic question.
    But is Planar 2 self-cleaning?

19. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Ha! No, it's not self-cleaning. I just keep it nice and clean :righton:

Anselmo likes this.
  20. Anselmo

Anselmo Forum Resident

:) Congratulations, really, you have a lot of patience ... my turntable is always dusty ...

SJR likes this.
  21. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

It's pretty easy — I give it a wipe every week or so and when not in use, I leave the dust cover down. I can't be getting all that dust on these precious MM records!

mikeyt and Anselmo like this.
  22. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

RZangpo2, mikeyt, jgrillo and 4 others like this.
  23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

RZangpo2, MikeJedi, mikeyt and 4 others like this.
  24. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

:pineapple::pineapple::pineapple:Just scored 6 sealed MMJ 45 titles;

Inner Urge
    Mode for Joe
    The Real McCoy
    Ju Ju
    Adams Apple
    Judgement

Arriving Tuesday; seriously pumped :goodie:

25. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

Wow! Nice find! Looks like you found a nice stash. The Real McCoy is one of my favorite sounding 45s from MMJ. I wanted Mode for Joe but couldn't justify the $100 but then it sold out and I regret it :)