Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Scotti, you have a great sense at putting things into proper perspective and keeping the peace -- thank you.

2. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Yeah, but the point is would you rather have zero comparisons?

With headphones, I find those comparisons pretty good. Not great, but plenty good to rule out certain carts entirely, which is helpful.

As regards channel separation, I don’t find it hard to gauge even via 16/44 recording. I recently had a Red2 and a Gold2 and I could not fully figure out why the Gold2 sounded better when the tonality was so similar. If anything, recording them both so I could do a quick A/B made it even more apparent what I was hearing. The Gold2 had superior channel separation. The tonality measured pretty much identical, which is what I was hearing.

Technology is far from perfect for this type of thing. It’s just a helpful tool. To dismiss it as having no use is a big mistake, IMO. But I realize some folks feel that way.

timzigs likes this.
  3. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

I don't want to jump on anybody's back but having your opinion solely based on another person(s) sample is quite a reach, too many factors to consider.

I really don't get the 45 vs 33 argument. NOTHING ZERO NADDA is 100% confirmed in this hobby. We all have our biases, preferences, and likes. If we didn't? We'd all have the same equipment, same pressings, etc.

4. The distinction of needle drop and playing back through a computer is huge distinction to me. Hell, I lose many of the aspects that I love about the 45s when I play them back through my system on head phones (via my integrated's headphone jack). If you're talking about EQ, sure that can be heard via those methods. But there is so much more to the playback experience than that, and through my rig and loudspeakers, I can hear clear distinctions and can identify my preference.

And I really hate the argument of "you're mind is made up, you are hearing what you want to hear". It is just not true. I want 33 to give me everything a 45 does. I play my 33s much more because I listen a lot while working and the subtle nuances are not as important in that setting and flipping the records so much is a hassle. I would rather save the money, the shelf space, and the effort, but I hear what I hear. And am a lot poorer for it. But I have no regrets.

5. It almost seems like the ongoing comparisons gets in the way of the enjoyment of the music. The playing sometimes. That eternal search for the unlimited sound that is rarely achieved. Sure this is an audiophile forum and this is a hobby fo many, but at some point, it becomes a scientific test rather than an organic human experience. Just my personal opinion.....

Keep A-B ing and carry on.. :tiphat:

gov, dminches, J Borland and 9 others like this.
  6. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

@Greenmonster2420 I have quite a few 45's; AP Doors & Skynyrd, Mofi Dylan catalogue, etc. It only becomes burdensome, when it's very little music divided up, or I want to take some lettuce ;) before I listen. However I do prefer 33 if it's the same label, mastering, and quality of pressing. Mostly due to cost, convenience, and less vinyl to maintain.

I understand your point when it comes to needledrops, but respectfully disagree. Too much discrepancy in equipment used to get an accurate reproduction of what you may hear, not to mention your ears being different.

Greenmonster2420 and Mazzy like this.
  7. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Well, I give Jeff credit. He took a listen and put his opinion out there. Only a few did. It’s not about being “right,” it’s about us all sharing the wealth of info and of course being mindful that we do happen to have a hobby that has its share of snake oil. Any info we can discuss and opinions we can put out is helpful, IMO.

The 45 vs 33 is just kind of old at this point. Even Steve, who has cut more 45s than most anybody, has said that the whole thing is exaggerated and the benefits to 45 are very minimal. Besides, MM is doing 33s now. If they go back to 45, I think it would be more topical. They haven’t cut a 45 since 2013.

I personally choose speed as the last reason I want a pressing. There are a couple of MM 45s that I prefer over their 33 counterparts, but I hear mastering differences in those cases that just work better for me. And where I have compared, I find the SRX pressings to just be flat-out definitive.

As far as samples, I think this thread is becoming cluttered with overthink. If one wants know how a 45 compares with a 33 but believes that two samples taken from the exact same rig are useless, then buy both and compare. I provided those to be helpful, but it just goes to show you that almost nothing is ever simple these days.

Greenmonster2420 and mikeyt like this.
  8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Thanks, @Tim1954, I'll take the credit. :tiphat:

Steve Hoffman is not the only set of ears around here. I trust mine. And I have listened to two sets of the same MM record (though each with different mastering engineers), and then the two comparison discs I bought that Classic Records produced, each with the same tune and presumed mastering on each side. That midrange detail, ease, and spaciousness has been common to each of the 45s compared to the 33s. In other words, I put my own money where my mouth is so I can hear it for myself.

If anyone relatively nearby Salem wishes to borrow the Classic Records comparison discs, or stop by to hear for themselves, they can contact me. I also still own both versions of True Blue.

Or find your own copies and do your own comparisons.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  9. Mssisem

Mssisem Forum Resident

Back to the Srx releases........ both Moanin’ and Blue Train sound fantastic. I compared the AP 45 Blue Train to the mono MM but that is really apples to oranges since one is stereo. I do think in the future I will spin the mono. I’ve not been a big fan of the mobile fidelity one step releases because I’ve felt like they have pushed detail too forward in the mix. I think the SRXs and the MM mastering complements the music.. never harsh or overpowering

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    mikeyt likes this.
  10. rubberhead

rubberhead You could pay as little as $5 per treatment*

Just got a shipping notice for the Morgan and the Mobley.

11. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

- THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! Just listen and enjoy the dang music already.

MikeJedi and J Borland like this.
  12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Look for the bargain basement sale on One Steps soon in the marketplace. :D

13. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Must be nice to have that kind of wealth. I'm not in that league.

When MM releases something I already own on MM and I decide to try the new version, I shoot it out with the older copy I have. Whichever one I like less is almost always put in the "To be sold" stack and off to Discogs or eBay it goes.

Thankfully, I guess I'm lucky because I don't find this impacts my "enjoyment" of the music at all.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  14. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Anyone know why it takes so long for MM to respond to a customer service inquiry. I got email back on last Wed and responded to it and have not gotten a response yet .. :) just curious. Usually they are fast. Maybe they have a lot of orders from the new SRXs.

15. Mssisem

Mssisem Forum Resident

Just my opinion from the two I have. Could just be system dependent.

16. I am sure this is the case. A follow up email never hurts, either.

MikeJedi likes this.
  17. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Yeah I sent one this morning. So I will wait awhile longer. They are probably buried lol.

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  18. Thankfully, I guess I'm lucky because I don't find this impacts my "enjoyment" of the music at all.[/QUOTE]
    Maybe because they sold over three hundred records over the weekend and need to catch up? They are a small team..

19. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

20. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

spacecoyote likes this.
  21. Pelts

Pelts Forum Resident

Are the Feb SRX’s picks really sold out??

22. Jimbo912

Jimbo912 Forum Resident

If you had to guess,what percent of the SRX releases are purchased by people following this thread?

23. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

No, they just need to ship they orders that they have and then they release more. They are not a monolith like Amazon, so give them a bit of patience because the records are worth it.

Greenmonster2420 and MikeJedi like this.
  24. Pelts

Pelts Forum Resident

70% would be my guess but I bet that might be low

25. Pelts

Pelts Forum Resident

I wasn’t complaining. I placed my order Saturday afternoon and just got the shipping confirmation

Don P. likes this.