Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

^plus many people already have many of these in one reissue or another that they are satisfied with and others drifted away from vinyl

2. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

ordered :
    byrd - byrd in hand
    lee morgan - procrastinator
    turrentine - up at minton's vol 2
    elvin jones - puttin it together
    mccoy tyner - real mccoy
    jackie mclean new soil AP45
    duke jordan - flight to jordan AP45
    coltrane - Ole ORG 45

crazy i am ......
    i'll stop coming on this thread :cool:

FYI : i have 120 lps/45rpm
    - 52 in MM
    - 21 AP
    - 42 fantasy top jazz 100 including all of 1rst set
    rest are org, impulse or verve

3. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I also agree with the first batch of MM 33's. All flagship BNs that almost everyone already has (There's actually a couple I never bought on vinyl that I might pick up). Heard these MM 33's yet?

4. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Love "Byrd in Hand" -- Here Am I is one of my favorite Byrd tunes, and Pepper Adams is all over this album.

abor1g likes this.
  5. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

No, I haven't heard any. I know I'll pick up a couple.

RelayerNJ likes this.
  6. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Yes I have, and they are killer if you need/want definitive copies of the albums on the release schedule at 33.....

RelayerNJ likes this.
  7. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

haha! every version released has been "definitive". buy 12 versions of blue train. we'll make 'em until the tapes disintegrate!

8. JMCIII

Unfortunately true in some cases. But having seen and heard the MM 45's, and test pressings of the 33's, I feel what I said is accurate. Ron and Joe leave nothing to chance. Outside and in, these will be the best you'll find.

9. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

The MM 45s have been revelatory, but it makes me wonder how good many of these 60+ year old tapes are. Esp. the ones constantly being reissued.

10. JMCIII

Surprisingly enough, not everyone who licenses titles gets their hands on the original masters. And soon those original masters may not be available at all. Meanwhile, those that do know how to treat these valuable pieces of our musical history.

11. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

For this reason, I think we could all agree that the more titles Music Matters releases, the better. I'd love to see a lot more titles coming up. I understand the reasoning behind going with the war horses, but personally would love to see some lesser known material.

12. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

The Blue Notes have been digitally archived at 32/192 resolution. You could see that from the tape box images MM posted on their website for the 2013 titles some time ago.

13. johnnypaddock

That's great! I didn't know that. I should have figured this would be the case.

:cheers:

14. Josquin des Prez

I just figure that's what companies like Heavenly Sweetness, et al. get when they do reissues, and only the a select few (like AP and MM) get their hands on the actual original tapes. Although I think I read somewhere that Heavenly Sweetness did master from the tapes, but transferred to digital for cutting. Maybe someone can correct me or confirm.

15. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

does that mean these are digital transfers and not analog?

16. Josquin des Prez

MM and AP use analog mastering chains with no digital transfer. As for other companies doing Blue Notes, digital transfer seems more likely.

17. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I am very hopeful for the success of the new 33 series but I am still skeptical about the claims posted in this thread that they will better the 45's. Again, I am hoping for strong successes for MM with these new releases and they will especially be great for those who prefer the ease of 33 over 45 (as many have made claims in the past). Yes, I cannot truly know until I've listened but I have doubts based on the speed differences. Again and again I wish all the success but I just question some of these claims.

18. johnnypaddock

I've been listening to Art Blakey - Free For All tonight, and holy balls, this album smokes. From the opening gun, it's high energy craziness, and doesn't let up until the very end. There are a lot of great Music Matters albums out there, but for me Free For All and Indestructible are right up there with the best. If you want to relax and take in some soothing sounds, these aren't the titles for you. Art Blakey wasn't f'ing around.

hvbias and RelayerNJ like this.
  19. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I love Mosaic as well. I was hoping for Music Matters to do Buhaina's Delight and The Freedom Rider.

Blank Slate likes this.
  20. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

You will be wowed by Stanley Turrentine's Look Out ! If you got $space I would go for:
    Dexter Gordon: Our Man In Paris
    Lee Morgan: Search For New Land, The Procrastinator
    Hank Mobley: BLP 1568 and also the Quintet BLP 1550
    Grachan Monchur: Evolution

AGimS likes this.
  21. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Don't forget Roots and Herbs. Honestly, Like Someone in Love is one of my least fav Blakeys from this period.

22. JMCIII

Exactly

23. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

Thanks!
    btf1980: I got "Leeway" AP 45rpm. I will get more Lee Morgan next time.

btf1980 likes this.
  24. johnnypaddock

I haven't heard it yet, can't wait to grab that one! Definitely on my list.

25. Josquin des Prez

Mosaic is a classic Art Blakey title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.